CTF "Blitz" tournament concept

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

CTF "Blitz" tournament concept

Post by Zakken » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 am

Every now and then I come up with ideas for tournaments, however it's usually very hard to picture any of them functioning well in the long run. After all, it's not easy to come up with something that stays well-organized, fun and fresh for a while. But this particular idea I've had, seemed to be interesting enough, so I'd like to bring this up with you, the competitive community.

The idea in question is a CTF tournament where all of its games take place in one single day. If it starts at some time in Saturday, for example, it will end later on in that same Saturday. The draft would be done on the fly, as soon as the tourney starts, and the games begin right after that ends. The tournament would follow a double elimination system, so it's a good medium between a single elimination system and a dragged-out round robin system, while also providing a larger amount of games than the former. Teams would be comprised of just 3 members, including the captain -- there is no need for a substitute player due to the nature of this tournament, and it also makes room for a larger amount of teams that way. The captains would be hand-picked by me to make sure that only the more reliable and skilled players take the helm.

As for the game settings, they could actually be trimmed shorter than their current standards. Perhaps 3 points and 5 minutes per round, or something to that effect. This looks like it contradicts my earlier statement about how I don't plan on making this as fast as single elimination, but look at it this way: I would rather make more games happen in a given amount of time, and going for double elimination AND shorter rounds are paramount to achieve that goal, since both the amount of games in a time interval and the amount of games in general will increase.

So, what are your thoughts on these ideas? Do you think it could work out? Could it be improved upon in ways? And if not, why? Any feedback is appreciated, but remember that elaborating on your points is always a plus.
Last edited by Zakken on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

RE: CTF "Blitz" tournament concept

Post by Watermelon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 am

How many teams would there be? around 4 - 6?

Lets say 4 just for fun:

4 teams * 3 battles + 1 finals = 13 games
13 games * 2 rounds at minimum = 26 rounds
26 rounds * 5 minutes = 2h 10m

Most likely looking at 2-3 hours of fun. That should be small enough. You'd need to schedule this in advance with reliable people.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 am

Watermelon's times sound best for this; otherwise it'd drag on for an unreasonable amount of time. Also four teams and three people per team would equal twelve people, and twelve people should be easy enough to have [priv usually hits this number on a regular basis, and lasts up to 3 hours]
Last edited by Slyfox on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:01 am

I've been waiting for a tournament like this for such a long time. I can't see anything going wrong especially with the dedication from prominent Zandronum CTF players. Good luck!

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:05 am

Watermelon wrote: How many teams would there be? around 4 - 6?
Depends on the amount of sign-ups. Speaking of which, they could be opened up a week before the actual event, and participants would be given the server password and stuff like that.

Also, you counted the amount of games wrong. With 4 teams, it would have just 6-7 games. http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbra ... Double.pdf

Remember that it is a double elimination tourney, after all, meaning it could last from 1 hour to 1:45 hours, assuming there aren't any games lasting longer than 3 rounds. Do you think there should be certain tie-breaking measures to enforce games won't have to last more than 3 rounds? And yes, we definitely need to reach out to the reliable players of this community for this event, to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

I'm thinking of doing a test run for next weekend, and see if it really can be doable or not.

Samurai
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:52 am

The only thing with 5 min games is if the teams are evenly matched, wouldn't there be a lot of ties? It's a good idea still.

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

Jwarrier
Forum Regular
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Jwarrier » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:24 pm

Sounds fun.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Oh yeah I forgot it was double elimination:

Doing an update:
6 games * 2 rounds at minimum = 12 rounds
12 rounds * 5 minutes = 1h
That's pretty reasonable. 6 teams also should fit quite nicely. This isn't taking into account ties or switching between rounds (time consumer).

I think as well if it's best of 2, then if there's a third game it should be set to sudden death.