Holiday events

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Metal
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Holiday events

Post by Metal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:14 pm

I think this would be a really good idea. Have nice, big holiday events for Halloween, Christmas, etc.

This is currently just a brain storm/idea that I had while randomly playing my keyboard. Any thoughts or suggestions? Which holidays we should focus on? Tournaments? ...Prizes?

Reaku
Forum Regular

RE: Holiday events

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:18 pm

I think possibly the biggest we would have to think about would be the 4th of July, Halloween, not entirely sure on christmas since alot of people will mostly be away.
Things to do on these days would maybe me mapping competitions, or sessions, tournaments like you said. I don't know, maybe some hosted servers dedicated to a wad of the communities choosing?
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Reaku wrote: not entirely sure on christmas since alot of people will mostly be away.
Actually, Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack gets mappers' attention pretty well, and the FNF we had on Christmas Eve 2010 was actually successful.

Metal

Post by Metal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Reaku wrote:mapping competitions
Ooooh, good idea. And you're right about Christmas. But we don't have to cancel it out, people will still be here I'm sure. Might as well make it as eventful as possible :P

Even having a mapping event for winter would be cool, with snow styled maps.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Well then, colour me shocked.
A few more ideas come to me, like a weapon making competition, or even make a monster.
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Halloween Deatmatch, featuring Hexen-Heretic styled weapons from r667 + custom maps !!! YEA (But in Doom, not Heretic <3 )

Doomed Christmas, Marines vs Santa's little elves and other bizarre stuff, invasion ! :D

And so on...

[EDIT] : Inb4 rep. point prizes. (Although I'd support a nifty icon, a badge so to speak, below your avatar to point that the guy has won a challenge/tournament)
Last edited by Ivan on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Ivan wrote: Halloween Deatmatch, featuring Hexen-Heretic styled weapons from r667 + custom maps !!! YEA (But in Doom, not Heretic <3 )

Doomed Christmas, Marines vs Santa's little elves and other bizarre stuff, invasion ! :D

And so on...
Christmas doom? Where the zombies are the elves, the imps are another strand of elves, and the pinkies are the reindeer?
I like this thought!
|Project releases|

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Elf Invasion

Sounds like a plan

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:08 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote: Elf Invasion

Sounds like a plan
Santa on a giant robotic version of his sleigh as the Mastermind while Mrs. Claus is shooting exploding cookies at you as the cyber?
Bigger Reindeer as the Baron and Knight, evil snowmen as the Archviles, gingerbread men as the revs!
|Project releases|

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanksgiving turkey shoot? And maybe a little something for President's Day? ;)

EDIT: President's Day Dark Forces Invasion! (My character happens to rule over the Star Wars universe - and invade everyone else's :P)
Last edited by President People on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Metal wrote: ...Prizes?
What kind of prizes? :razz:

For Halloween we could use Heretic and HeXen because those would fit in nicely! As for Christmas.... AFAIK Christmas Extravaganza Map Pack (CEMP) is supposed to come up with a new map pack every year or something, but I think MytiS could say more about this.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 am

Hmm...

Well I think that no matter what day the holiday lands on, FNF and SNS would very likely pick the event to be as closely related to that particular holiday as possible on that same week. Things like mapping competitions or mapping projects could be great, and perhaps they could cover the entire month or something like the monthly polls do? Although, that would take a bit of planning and stuff. I would definitely make an attempt to plan something like this for FNF and SNS if there's a lot of supporters for it, but it would probably have to be hosted on the Friday/Saturday of the week as opposed to being on the exact holiday, unless that holiday happens to land on a Friday or Saturday.

So if the FNF/SNS teams were going to each plan holiday-related events, I'm guessing they would use their discussion subforums to plan each of them. The benefit of FNF/SNS each planning their own holiday-related event would probably be that there would be a guarantee that Friday would have a holiday event in the non-coop area, and Saturday would have a holiday event in the coop/survival area.

What do you guys think?

mytis

Post by mytis » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:25 am

Hi guys. There has been some thought on the prospect of continuing the CEMP releases (ie: annual updates) for this upcoming Christmas. It's certainly not out of the question, in fact, I would welcome any modders who think they might be interested in working on this project with me whether it be mapping, coding or art, they would all be needed. If there's enough interest we can make it happen.

If anyone wants more information or downloads the CEMP project page is here. There have also been some jokes tossed around that CEMP12 could appropriately be themed the "Apocalypse Edition!". Anyway, about August is the best time to start working on CEMP12 because prior years show it to be just enough time to make the release. A community mapping approach could also be taken, but if that were the case I would want make it a point to maintain a certain level of quality.
Last edited by mytis on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metal

Post by Metal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:28 am

Vicious Pariah wrote: Hmm...

Well I think that no matter what day the holiday lands on, FNF and SNS would very likely pick the event to be as closely related to that particular holiday as possible on that same week. Things like mapping competitions or mapping projects could be great, and perhaps they could cover the entire month or something like the monthly polls do? Although, that would take a bit of planning and stuff. I would definitely make an attempt to plan something like this for FNF and SNS if there's a lot of supporters for it, but it would probably have to be hosted on the Friday/Saturday of the week as opposed to being on the exact holiday, unless that holiday happens to land on a Friday or Saturday.

So if the FNF/SNS teams were going to each plan holiday-related events, I'm guessing they would use their discussion subforums to plan each of them. The benefit of FNF/SNS each planning their own holiday-related event would probably be that there would be a guarantee that Friday would have a holiday event in the non-coop area, and Saturday would have a holiday event in the coop/survival area.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like a great plan. Getting more 'holiday' maps out there would be cool too. Some scary Halloween maps and some Christmas/winter maps. Maybe for the month that the holiday lands in (Oct for Halloween, Dec for Christmas) could be community mapping months for those seasons.

Or we could have some tournaments in those months. Someone gave the idea of having a tournament, and the winners having a little icon under their avatar that links to the tournament they got 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in. Could be anything from DM to CTF or Dueling or even "Top survivalist".

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 am

Why not have both? have a nice little treat for everyone on the holidays when they finally peak around.
Can't map or mod for Doom? Not a problem, you can enter a tourny for the fun of it!
|Project releases|

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:31 am

The Toxic Avenger wrote: Elf Invasion

Sounds like a plan
Elfa Invasion: Santa's Slay
Brought to you by the Alpha/Delta invasion team

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:20 am

Metal wrote: I think this would be a really good idea. Have nice, big holiday events for Halloween, Christmas, etc.

This is currently just a brain storm/idea that I had while randomly playing my keyboard. Any thoughts or suggestions? Which holidays we should focus on? Tournaments? ...Prizes?
I think we used to do this before, Halloween with the Jetson's Halloween map, Christmas with CEMP, etc. etc. It would be fun to do a little tournament, but I think throwing out prizes would be something that would need time and some money, if someone's willing out to throw some dough out of course.

As for other holiday specials, if anyone wants to throw down some ideas, your best bet might be with VP or Disguise and Qent.
Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 am

I did host an event once known as The Sentinel's Present, back in the days when I hosted The Sentinel's Playground. Could do the same. It was a 3 day marathon of playing where we started on Christmas Eve though to the day after Christmas Day. It kinda worked out well so someone could do something similar.

I am also open to give out prizes like a free hosted server for a month on Hellspawn Armada or something. Just have to make sure we got enough resources on our box (and if the rest of my awesome staff are ok with it)
Last edited by mifu on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Submerge

Post by Submerge » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:23 am

Halloween LMS games, on extra dark and spooky maps. For jumping out of the dark and scaring your friends with lead.

Christmas games on maps that are specifically item heavy. Perhaps Invasion or Deathmatch.
Last edited by Submerge on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 am

There's already some decent christmas themed WADs out there, like the CEMP or the snowball fight wad, and H2H-Xmas for co-op.

I'd like to see someone fix up Ghoul's forest 2 for some Halloween survival, it was a blast in the Player Connector days.
Last edited by Marcaek on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.