Holiday events

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Llewellyn
Forum Regular

RE: Holiday events

Post by Llewellyn » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 am

Marcaek wrote: I'd like to see someone fix up Ghoul's forest 2 for some Halloween survival, it was a blast in the Player Connector days.
Torn City Gold (basically Ghoul City, tcgold.wad) was more made for a lot of players and to be scary. It needs a bit of patchwork to make it variable depending on the number of players, but other than that it would work great.
Last edited by Llewellyn on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Christmas has the most mods for any holiday in doom so you shouldn't really have to even think about that one. There are a few horror wads in doom so Halloween shouldn't be -too- difficult to do either.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Too bad yurei is broke in most, if not all Ghoul wads.

DTDsphere
Forum Regular

Post by DTDsphere » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Why not a 32 player survival on Doom 2 map30 with no respawning items?

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:55 pm

well, maybe this would make the community more active, fnf's and sns are ok actually, but...D:

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 am

SpaceDM5 Halloween Special for Halloween. It's one map, but it's a really hard map. :>

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Halloween and Christmas would be good idea's to host specific holiday themed wads. I'm not so sure about 4th July's Thanksgiving though, it's only North Americans who celebrate that, everyone else doesn't give a shit about that day. If we host a wad for that day, we may aswell host a wad for Hanukkah, or Chinese new year, heh.
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote: SpaceDM5 Halloween Special for Halloween. It's one map, but it's a really hard map. :>
Oh man, that's a good idea!

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Catastrophe wrote: Too bad yurei is broke in most, if not all Ghoul wads.
Seems to work fine in TCGold...

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I never played TCGold actually. I always figured it was another of those shitty Ghoul-copycat WADs that became popular back in the day. I'm just nostalgic for Ghoul2 is all.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:24 pm

We should do a compilation of some of these so that there is a little bit of everything, just a thought.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Metal wrote:
Vicious Pariah wrote: Hmm...

Well I think that no matter what day the holiday lands on, FNF and SNS would very likely pick the event to be as closely related to that particular holiday as possible on that same week. Things like mapping competitions or mapping projects could be great, and perhaps they could cover the entire month or something like the monthly polls do? Although, that would take a bit of planning and stuff. I would definitely make an attempt to plan something like this for FNF and SNS if there's a lot of supporters for it, but it would probably have to be hosted on the Friday/Saturday of the week as opposed to being on the exact holiday, unless that holiday happens to land on a Friday or Saturday.

So if the FNF/SNS teams were going to each plan holiday-related events, I'm guessing they would use their discussion subforums to plan each of them. The benefit of FNF/SNS each planning their own holiday-related event would probably be that there would be a guarantee that Friday would have a holiday event in the non-coop area, and Saturday would have a holiday event in the coop/survival area.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like a great plan. Getting more 'holiday' maps out there would be cool too. Some scary Halloween maps and some Christmas/winter maps. Maybe for the month that the holiday lands in (Oct for Halloween, Dec for Christmas) could be community mapping months for those seasons.

Or we could have some tournaments in those months. Someone gave the idea of having a tournament, and the winners having a little icon under their avatar that links to the tournament they got 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in. Could be anything from DM to CTF or Dueling or even "Top survivalist".
That actually could work. You could just have a gold, silver, and bronze cup that when you hover your mouse over it, it would say something like "Gold DM winner 2012" or something of the sort (As an example). And if you want you can give people some little medals with for example, a pumpkin for Halloween that says "Halloween 2012 participant" or something similar to that. It would be pretty neat for those who would be in favor of the medals or 'prizes' idea.
Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:55 am

Llewellyn wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Too bad yurei is broke in most, if not all Ghoul wads.
Seems to work fine in TCGold...
You sure? It breaks after it kills just one person.

Gardevoir
Forum Regular

Post by Gardevoir » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Uhh, do you guys use the Skulltag fix wad for GF3? (I remember there was something like that, but I don't know if that's it.) Also, from when TCGold got Yurei? I thought it was throwing all 3 ghouls at once in the last round, wasn't it?

From what I remember, Yurei's battle from GvH works fine on Zandronum. How about it?
Last edited by Gardevoir on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget... 8.10.2012
(O+|+<) ~*

HI

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:38 pm

There was a special edition of TCgold that added the yurei. Yeah, I used the ST fix and that didn't do crap. The problem with GvH yurei is that it really isn't "Spooky" like GF3 yurei.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:59 am

Catastrophe wrote: There was a special edition of TCgold that added the yurei. Yeah, I used the ST fix and that didn't do crap. The problem with GvH yurei is that it really isn't "Spooky" like GF3 yurei.
I could design a Yurei replacement if it doesn't work currently, I just need to know the desired behavior.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 am

Llewellyn wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: There was a special edition of TCgold that added the yurei. Yeah, I used the ST fix and that didn't do crap. The problem with GvH yurei is that it really isn't "Spooky" like GF3 yurei.
I could design a Yurei replacement if it doesn't work currently, I just need to know the desired behavior.
Probably the exact behavior as the old one. Except the part with it glitching, ofc.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Catastrophe wrote: Probably the exact behavior as the old one. Except the part with it glitching, ofc.
I don't know the difference between the new and old versions so I can't really help unless you detail it's observed behavior.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Basically you should play GF3 to see it, it's kinda hard to describe but I'll try to.

A random player is chosen, and after some delay Yurei appears at a certain distance from the player at a random point. (Basically a random point on a circle with that radius) This happens for some time, getting faster after each appearance (I think) and in the end, she just disappears for 2 seconds or so and the player dies. This process is repeated until Yurei is successfully shot. She shouldn't get stuck in any sector/wall though.
Last edited by Ivan on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 pm

I don't think it's faster by each appearance