Idea to potentially boost competitive activity and motivate newbies

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Konda
Forum Regular

RE: Idea to potentially boost competitive activity and motivate newbies

Post by Konda » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:03 pm

If people were motivated by money to play the tournament, that would be qualified as outer motivation.
The real motivator that makes them play the tournament and then makes them stick to the scene after the money tournaments are over, is inner motivation, that comes from their "love" for the game (in its old-school competitive form).

If you want players to get into the priv scene, they have to want to get into the competitive scene. In order to know whether a player wants to be in a competitive scene, they have to know that there is one. As a matter of fact, a notable amount of players (and with them some potentially competitve ones, you never know) do not even use things such as forums or IRC, so passwording your priv servers (which is often where the competitive scene is, last time I checked) is a nice way to keep them away from the whole thing, leaving them to choose between AOW/GVH/ZH/whatever servers are being played on these days. Have some players, who only played GVH/AOW/ZH, switched to the old-school competitive scene after finding out that there is one? From what I remember, YES.
So, find a better way to promote competitive gameplay than this money bullshit.

Another factor could be that the playerbase (at least the one I see) is mostly consisted of "people" with the age from 11 to 16. At this period of life, it's much more fun to play as a zombie who has the task of infecting everyone (ZH), playing as a spooky ghost or choosing to fight against them (GVH), or play the game with a big weapon arsenal to choose from, where your task is to take down the enemy's buildings, which also seems a bit strategic at first until you get to know the player base (AOW2).

My personal opinion about the competitive gameplay is that if I want to not get my ass one-shotted with a SSG every time someone sees me, I have to practice, which I can't be assed to do since I don't play that oftenly anyway. And I find your regular deathmatch, coop & invasion or (rarely)capture the flag (all three preferably with Samsara), anything with instagib, or just GVH more fun anyway. I would be bored to death if I played the same oldschool CTF every day on the same map pack.
Last edited by Konda on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:51 pm

I think what needs to be done to get motivation back to players, is we need some refreshing wads to come in for Deathmatch, LMS, CTF, Invasion, Domination, and really anything, just avoiding a lot of gimmicks or the daunting file sizes that seems to creep up anymore, you know, go back to basics, make something from scratch and don't go too insane with it. Just going from a little personal experience, when I came into Skulltag for the first time, I really wasn't part of the forums, or in any IRC at the time for the first few months, so I really just relied on get wad and host archives for most everything. So, maybe we should take a bit of a step back and make things a bit more download friendly, as well as cutting back some on a lot of the things that can slow Doom down massively.

Another thing that could work is run some more old school stuff without any addons, so any new players can come in and get an experience with that, along with having anything new for those who want to play them, or have been around for a while, this includes the old prestocks, older wads for DM to coop/survival, to even the original Doom maps so you don't have a pallet that is completely saturated, just so you can restore some balance.
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 am

If there was some epic event with money and people were serious, I could definitely consider contributing.
Last edited by HeavenWraith on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

underbound

Post by underbound » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 am

How about dont fuk the nubys as soon as you see them. I mean even when I join,I get blasted like a fuking wwII story. Prizes seem interesting but then they expect prizes all the time,so if no prize that person leaves. We need to have a nub server or something to get the nubs feet wet,they could start out with AOW2 or something less serious then come to FNF's to test it out. Personally Im more of a survival/invasion player but I still join DM and CTF because its fun. THATS IT! We need a wad that appeals to those scared to join. Just throwing ideas and opinions.