How should Events be organized?

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.

Total votes: 0

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Well, I'm posting a thread for this because of something I hadn't really noticed until recently about the Discussion subforums for both FNF and SNS.

Before I go into a large amount of detail on what the issue was, I would like to just reiterate that the old forum had Friday Night Fragfest (FNF) and Saturday Night Survival (SNS) as their own forums and that Community Events was just a category, not a forum (read this thread if you want to read all of it.) Anyway, there was a public section of those individual forums (on the old forum) where polls, announcements, and other things would be posted. There was also a private discussion portion that only the FNF or SNS Team (for each corresponding forum) could see and post in.

So, when the new forum was announced, *I guess* there was a mistake that these "private" discussion forums were made public. I hadn't noticed it until I saw people posting/viewing it. Now, for the time being it's still public but I intend to see this through first. I am writing this thread in the hopes that I could gather enough information from people about what their feelings are toward this change.

Remember that these events are for the Community at large, and that it has been a goal since the move that we would try to become more open to the community. After all, these events are for you guys, and all of your suggestions will heavily influence what gets run for FNF and/or SNS each week. This also includes emphasizing to people that everybody is allowed to post (and perhaps organize!) their own events if they choose. With that said, I am not sure how to play this situation out. For the longest time, discussion about what should be run was considered private, and there were suggestion threads in which people could post their suggestions. However, having an open discussion forum in which people could post their suggestions and criticism (if any) to other peoples' suggestions might make for a better event altogether, as opposed to sticking with the old system. There's also the fear that the "surprise factor" might be removed from these events with a more open discussion forum, but recall that only the respective team members will be making the final decision and posting the official announcement threads.

Anyway, having said all that, please post your ideas for how events should be organized in the near future.

RE: How should Events be organized?

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Well my whole goal here is to increase forum activity. I don't ever think that there was any actual discussion about whether or not a private discussion forum was the correct course of action, since it was like that from the moment I joined the FNF team. However, that's really why I made this poll anyway.

As far as community influences go, I saw people posting in the discussion threads and I had no problem with it at all. I saw people posting suggestions and opinions and generally it didn't seem to interfere with the final decision completely - it only influenced the decision slightly. And the purpose that opening up the discussion forum (even if in the slightest bit) to the public would be exactly that: so people can post their suggestions and opinions. Our efforts with having the suggestion threads and polls and the such were just the same, in a sense.

If the subforum were to stay the way it is, then I would make some sort of thread to clarify that the final decision would ultimately be up to the team members. Anyway, I'm going to say that I will favor whatever option will increase forum activity and community involvement.

Anyone is welcome to post.