AlexMax wrote:

Code: Select all

17:03 < AlexMax> i forgot to ask torr
17:03 < AlexMax> to tag 2.1
17:04 < edward-san> AlexMax, he said he might not because of the possible
                    conflicts with the reworked 3.0
17:04 < edward-san> err, I mean the new repository
What does this mean?
We are about to switch to a new repository that is based on the ZDoom git repo, but still contains our full version history. The necessary conversion process also needs to rename the tags (all Zandronum releases have "ZA_" as prefix) and I fear that the way I use now will break when a Zandronum tag named 2.1 exists. I planned to finish this after we released 2.1, but then heard about the health and jitter issues and decided we need to take care of those first.
Why not just change all of the Zandronum tags to "zandronum-2.1.2" or something similar? That way, we can tell the difference between Zandronum tags and ZDoom tags? Plus, we can continue to pull from ZDoom without issue?
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

RE: Zandronum 2.x tags?

Post by Torr Samaho » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:29 pm

AlexMax wrote: A PM-ed conversation being brought on-line:
Torr Samaho wrote:
AlexMax wrote:

Code: Select all

17:03 < AlexMax> i forgot to ask torr
17:03 < AlexMax> to tag 2.1
17:04 < edward-san> AlexMax, he said he might not because of the possible
                    conflicts with the reworked 3.0
17:04 < edward-san> err, I mean the new repository
What does this mean?
We are about to switch to a new repository that is based on the ZDoom git repo, but still contains our full version history. The necessary conversion process also needs to rename the tags (all Zandronum releases have "ZA_" as prefix) and I fear that the way I use now will break when a Zandronum tag named 2.1 exists. I planned to finish this after we released 2.1, but then heard about the health and jitter issues and decided we need to take care of those first.
Why not just change all of the Zandronum tags to "zandronum-2.1.2" or something similar? That way, we can tell the difference between Zandronum tags and ZDoom tags? Plus, we can continue to pull from ZDoom without issue?
As I said above, the new repo uses "ZA_" as prefix for the Zandronum tags and "ST_" as prefix for the old Skulltag tags. So the problem of ambiguous tags is already resolved.

The problem is that I can't use ZA_2.1.2 as tag in the old repo since the automatic tag renaming mechanism in the repo conversion will break (I guess ZA_2.1.2 would be renamed to ZA_2.ZA_1.2) and I don't want to waste time improving the automatic renaming, since it works fine for all existing tags.

Since 2.1.2 is out now and seems to work smoothly, we should simply consider moving to the new repo. Then, I can add the new tags immediately.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

RE: Zandronum 2.x tags?

Post by AlexMax » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:16 am

Torr Samaho wrote: The problem is that I can't use ZA_2.1.2 as tag in the old repo since the automatic tag renaming mechanism in the repo conversion will break (I guess ZA_2.1.2 would be renamed to ZA_2.ZA_1.2) and I don't want to waste time improving the automatic renaming, since it works fine for all existing tags.
Oh. Okay. Fair enough. :)
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.