Resolution Help - CRT

General help and assistance forum.
MrMagoose
Registered just to make one post

Resolution Help - CRT

Post by MrMagoose » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:46 am

Hoping someone could help me set 320 x 200, 320 x 240, or even 640 x 400 in software mode fullscreen. When I have my desktop environment displaying the resolution I want say 320 x 240, and run Zandronum in windowed mode, I get the results and look I want, but I see my windows task bar and the applications frame. If I set fullscreen the game appears muddy and not crisp like the windowed version, scanlines appear to vanish. Just hoping to get some advice on what settings I can tweak to get this working? And vid_ commands that may do the trick?

I am running Windows 10 and have a 2060 rtx card using a gdm-fw900 monitor and a dac to convert analog(vga) and digital(displayport). I figured I would mention this in case the problem starts there somewhere.

The custom resolutions are already created and set in Nvidia control panel. I have made 320 x 240 at 160hz, and 640 x 400 at 160hz or maybe 158.077hz or whatever.

I have run other games on this monitor at their native resolution Blasphemous runs at 640 x 360 160hz and looks pixel perfect. Gotta have Doom running this way, I want to try QC:DE. Come to think of it, those art assets may not look the best at the lower resolutions and if anyone knows what they are natively made in and can suggest a good resolution for my CRT at a high refresh rate I would gladly run with that.

Asriel

Clan: Incredible & *GOD*
Clan Tag: [I] & *GOD*

Re: Resolution Help - CRT

Post by Asriel » Mon May 04, 2020 7:07 pm

MrMagoose wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:46 am
Come to think of it, those art assets may not look the best at the lower resolutions and if anyone knows what they are natively made in and can suggest a good resolution for my CRT at a high refresh rate I would gladly run with that.
I don't know about the best way to get the vanilla look you want, but since you're open to the possibility of higher resolutions on QC:DE I think I can help you there.

I think some HUD graphics in QC:DE are made with widescreen (16:9) displays in mind, but those are optional and they look fine on 8:5 resolutions too. I play at 1440x900 because that's the highest resolution my monitor supports at its highest refresh rate (75 FPS). My advice is to play at the largest resolution that'll allow your monitor to run at the refresh rate you want. Since you're using a CRT display I would imagine a refresh rate of even 60 FPS would still feel very responsive and smooth, but use whatever you feel is best.

Items have optional models but they're voxels so they'll show in the software renderer. If you use OpenGL, Zandronum converts the voxels to something that OpenGL can use. The software renderer uses indexed color, the OpenGL renderer uses direct color, so the software renderer won't show correct colors on some graphics in QC:DE.

Some maps in QC:DE use models that aren't voxels, so they'll only show in OpenGL.

Free-look is necessary in QC:DE. In software rendering, looking up and down causes distortion and you won't be able to look all the way up and down. This is because at the time this post was made, Zandronum's software renderer isn't a polygonal renderer. Free-look is much better in OpenGL because that uses a polygonal renderer.

Because QC:DE uses sprites for players and monsters, they'll look paper thin and be difficult to aim at when they're far enough below or above you. Setting sprite billboards to the X/Y axes will make the sprites always face towards you and easier to aim at. This setting affects decorative sprites like pillars and barrels as well, which can sometimes look funny because some of them are meant to stand straight up.
The Absolute GOD of Hyperdeath!