Private network

General help and assistance forum.
lucrus
Registered just to make one post

Private network

Post by lucrus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:18 am

Hello, I'm new to Zandronum and I've found it while looking for a Doom source port suitable for a LAN party. I use Linux on the server and all the clients.

I have my own pwad, I have my LAN and I've already tried PrBoomPlus, which would be just enough feature wise, but I found it to be a bit unstable and buggy.

Zandronum seems to cut it just fine, so I've tried to setup the networking. I was hoping I could use it in a classic client/server fashion, where the clients connect to a known private server and the game starts. However the Zandronum wiki does not explain how to do that, not even if it is possible. It explains something about how to setup a master server, how to register a server and so on, but that's overkill for a plain old LAN party. I need no master server browser, no server registration and the like. I need to start a server instance and run clients with some command similar to:

Code: Select all

$ prboom-plus -net 192.168.1.10:9555
but using zandronum instead of PrBoom.

Is that possible?

Asriel

Clan: Incredible & *GOD*
Clan Tag: [I] & *GOD*

Re: Private network

Post by Asriel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:04 am

Doomseeker (Zandronum's built-in server browser) and Doom Explorer should allow you to setup a private or LAN server.

I don't know how to do it in Doomseeker, but in Doom Explorer if you click on the "multiplayer" tab on the right side-bar there should be a "start server" tab above the server list. If you click on it you should see a bunch of options for setting up your server like the gameport (Odamex, Zandronum, ZDaemon, etc.), passwords, visibility (private or LAN), etc.

Doomseeker appears to have the same functionality if you click on File->Create Game or press Ctrl+S.
The Absolute GOD of Hyperdeath!