Doomseeker map playlist and secret levels

General help and assistance forum.
Talthos

Doomseeker map playlist and secret levels

Post by Talthos » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:20 am

I was trying to host a custom Doom 2 session, and I had a playlist to ensure that the map rotation correctly looped back to the first level once the final level on the playlist was finished.

But I can't figure out how to make it work so that multiple secret levels will exit correctly. The first secret level's exit is supposed to lead to the second secret level, and the second secret level's exit is supposed to lead to the third secret level, and the third secret level's exit is then supposed to lead back to the regular levels. When I use a playlist configuration, I can reach the first secret level just fine, but the first secret level's exit does not lead to the second secret level; it just dumps me back into the normal levels right away.

The secret level exits work correctly offline and (presumably) would work online if I didn't use a playlist, but I want to get it working with a playlist rotation, so that the server will loop back to the beginning correctly, when the final level is completed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zalewa
Developer

Re: Doomseeker map playlist and secret levels

Post by Zalewa » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:01 am

Your case doesn't seem to be my case, see:
phpBB [media]

I didn't put the secret maps on the maplist as you can see in the beginning.

I'm also not using any PWADs but it seems that you're using at least one. Maybe there's something in the MAPINFO that's causing this? Also, how does your map list look exactly?

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 am

Zalewa wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:01 am
Your case doesn't seem to be my case, see:
phpBB [media]

I didn't put the secret maps on the maplist as you can see in the beginning.

I'm also not using any PWADs but it seems that you're using at least one. Maybe there's something in the MAPINFO that's causing this? Also, how does your map list look exactly?
I'm using Brutal Doom and Extermination Day. The regular levels are EDAY01 to EDAY30. The secret levels are EDAY31, EDAY32, and EDAY33. The map playlist I set via Doomseeker has EDAY01 to EDAY30, without listing the secret levels.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:14 pm

List the secret levels in the playlist, right after the regular map with the secret exit. If you do that, the server will go to the secret maps no matter which exit is used.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Empyre wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:14 pm
List the secret levels in the playlist, right after the regular map with the secret exit. If you do that, the server will go to the secret maps no matter which exit is used.
The server I played on has it working so that the regular levels uses the normal exits, and the secret levels use the secret exits correctly.

I'm trying to get it to work like that.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Talthos wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 pm
Empyre wrote:
The server I played on has it working so that the regular levels uses the normal exits, and the secret levels use the secret exits correctly.

That sounds like the server has no playlist at all. Give that a try.

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:29 am

Empyre wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 pm
Talthos wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 pm
Empyre wrote:

That sounds like the server has no playlist at all. Give that a try.
How would I prevent the server from loading the standard Doom levels once I reached the end of the Extermination Day levels? Would it loop back to EDAY01 correctly on its own, without a playlist?

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am

So, I tested the server without a playlist, and tried beating the last regular level (EDAY30) of Extermination Day. When the level ended, the server threw me an error, kicked me off, and didn't loop back to EDAY01

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Talthos wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
So, I tested the server without a playlist, and tried beating the last regular level (EDAY30) of Extermination Day. When the level ended, the server threw me an error, kicked me off, and didn't loop back to EDAY01
That sounds like a problem with MAPINFO. The next thing I would try is use Slade to make a new wad with a name like EDAY_CoopFix.wad (the name is up to you), copy-and-paste the MAPINFO from EDAY into the new wad, and edit that MAPINFO so that the next map after EDAY30 is EDAY01. Load that new wad after the main EDAY wad with no playlist. If you are uncomfortable with editing a wad or editing MAPINFO, or if there is no MAPINFO to edit, post a link to the wad and I'll do it.

If that doesn't work, then this is over my head. Try to contact the owner of the server that got it working to find out how he did it, then post the results here so we can all know how to do it.

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:40 am

Empyre wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm
Talthos wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
That sounds like a problem with MAPINFO. The next thing I would try is use Slade to make a new wad with a name like EDAY_CoopFix.wad (the name is up to you), copy-and-paste the MAPINFO from EDAY into the new wad, and edit that MAPINFO so that the next map after EDAY30 is EDAY01. Load that new wad after the main EDAY wad with no playlist. If you are uncomfortable with editing a wad or editing MAPINFO, or if there is no MAPINFO to edit, post a link to the wad and I'll do it.

If that doesn't work, then this is over my head. Try to contact the owner of the server that got it working to find out how he did it, then post the results here so we can all know how to do it.
Would editing the MAPINFO of the main Extermination Day wad allow other players to join and play?

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:43 am

If you edit the main wad, your version would differ from the players' version, so they couldn't connect. Even if you give it a different file name, some people would frown upon your editing somebody else's work. Also, my proposed patch wad would be a very small download for the players.

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:55 am

Empyre wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:43 am
If you edit the main wad, your version would differ from the players' version, so they couldn't connect. Even if you give it a different file name, some people would frown upon your editing somebody else's work. Also, my proposed patch wad would be a very small download for the players.
Do I have to specify a download host for the wads themselves, or does Doomseeker do that automatically?

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:17 pm

There are certain sites that Doomseeker will automatically look without you having to specify it in the server configuration. One of those is http://doom.dogsoft.net/

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Empyre wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:17 pm
There are certain sites that Doomseeker will automatically look without you having to specify it in the server configuration. One of those is http://doom.dogsoft.net/
That's useful to know. Also, I managed to get in contact with the server owner in question. Hopefully, I can get the answers I seek from them, and then I can post the method they used here.

Talthos

Post by Talthos » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:30 am

So, with the help of the server owner, I think I managed to find a solution. Apparently, the owner of the server uses an autoexec.cfg setup with a Linux OS. I asked if he could share the contents of his autoexec.cfg with me, and he obliged.

From looking at the contents of the file, I wondered if using them with the "Custom Parameters" of Doomseeker would work, so I tried hosting my server with the parameters typed in, and it seems to have worked.

For reference, the Custom Parameters I used to get the map order working looks like this:

Code: Select all

AddMap eday01
AddMap eday02
AddMap eday03
AddMap eday04
AddMap eday05
AddMap eday06
AddMap eday07
AddMap eday08
AddMap eday09
AddMap eday10
AddMap eday11