Keyboard inputs aren't being read.

General help and assistance forum.
SeranTheMoo
New User

Keyboard inputs aren't being read.

Post by SeranTheMoo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am

Hello everyone! I've been playing Z& for a long long time now, even before it was Z&, and have always had a lot of fun with it. I just never bothered with the forum I guess? But I need help, and I'm not exactly sure where else I'd ask for it.

Early this morning (some time between three and four, maybe?) my computer decided to force an OS update from Microsoft. You know how that goes. For reference, I use Windows 7. Anyways, I let it do its thing, I start the game back up(it actually happened while I was playing Z&, funnily enough), and suddenly none of my keyboard inputs work once I get into the game proper. My mouse worked fine, I could look around and shoot, but none of the buttons on my keyboard did anything. I thought maybe something had unbound all my keys, so I went and looked after restarting the game. Nope, all my binds were intact. I decided to wipe my config file and then have Z& make a new one. Curiously, this worked, but only for a little bit; when I was going through my binds to reconfigure them it stopped recognizing my inputs again when I was trying to bind jump. Here's the really mind-boggling part, though, and it's that in the menus I can still navigate them with the arrow keys and whatever, it's only a problem in the game itself. It also stops reading inputs when I attempt to input a new bind in the key config menu. GZDoom for the record doesn't have this problem, although I'm not sure if that's relevant or not.

Can anyone lend me a hand on figuring out what's gone wrong? Do I have to somehow rollback this Windows update or something? Is there something in Z& I can fiddle with to try and fix it?

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: Keyboard inputs aren't being read.

Post by Catastrophe » Wed May 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Are you running teamviewer in the background? Does this happen in software? Windowed mode?

Fire Man X
New User

Post by Fire Man X » Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm

I have the same problem. I didn't had teamviewer on. It happens like everywhere. Both software, opengl, fullscreen and windowed. Yesterday my Zandronum worked fine. I even tried to unplug and plug in keyboard as well.

Edit: I found a solution (At least for me, dunno what for others). You must run Zandronum as Administrator to make the game read keyboard. However It should work without admin rights.

Phade102
New User

Post by Phade102 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm getting the same issue, same are about 5 of my friends. It seems that this is a widespread issue and its going to get worse.

It seemed to all happen to my friends at the exact same time too....could this be something coded into one of the files?

SkullRush

Post by SkullRush » Wed May 09, 2018 6:21 pm

xD same problem here.
Zan was working fine yesterday, idk what happened, i can only use my mouse to look around and shoot,i can't move my marine at all, i can't open the menu or the console.
And even to close zan now, i have to alt+f4..
SOMEONE HELP
Edit: Windowed, fullscreen, ogl, software, nothing works btw

Phade102
New User

Post by Phade102 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Can people post their OS and such? I'm running windows 8, but some of my friends are running windows 7. I'm wondering if this issue happens on windows 10?

Blitzkrieg
Banned
Clan: Video Game Legends
Clan Tag: [VGL]
Banned: Permanently

Post by Blitzkrieg » Wed May 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Same issue. This seems to be a very viral issue. No overlays intercepting my input. Is this a Windows 10 issue, related to the recent update maybe?

Edit - Interestingly enough, there's a split second at the start where I do have control. Haven't investigated enough to figure out what changes to remove this input capability.

I suppose, for me at least, I will just wait this out to see if any further developments occur. I would imagine this issue will be squashed quite quickly with enough people reporting it to gather information and find a common cause.
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Wed May 09, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: A bold declaration (Open)
Click each image for the associated demo.

SkullRush

Post by SkullRush » Wed May 09, 2018 6:25 pm

"Edit - Interestingly enough, there's a split second at the start where I do have control. Haven't investigated enough to figure out what changes to remove this input capability."
SAME LMFAOOOOOOOO
did microsoft kill zandronum

Phade102
New User

Post by Phade102 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 pm

SkullRush wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:25 pm
"Edit - Interestingly enough, there's a split second at the start where I do have control. Haven't investigated enough to figure out what changes to remove this input capability."
SAME LMFAOOOOOOOO
did microsoft kill zandronum
I don't think so. i'm using windows 8 and I haven't updated it in ages, certainly didnt update it between yesterday and today. I monitor every file that gets changed and theres been nothing that happened.

Blitzkrieg
Banned

Post by Blitzkrieg » Wed May 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeah, we've done some drastic things ranging from removal of overlays (Share & qfx) all the way down to safe mode testing. Nothing much to say about it, same results on my end, definitely a product of the OS, as far as I can tell. Even switching out hardware yields nothing.

HTG
Clan: Wicked Sick
Clan Tag: WS

Post by HTG » Wed May 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Just thought i'd pop in to report the same issue. Mouse works but keyboard input does nothing, can't even access the menu's. Current OS is Windows 10 if that helps. My old Windows XP computer runs it perfectly however.
Last edited by HTG on Wed May 09, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath » Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Got the same issue. Running Windows 7 x64 SP1. No updates have been done to my system in a while.

If you open the console from the options menu, all keys work just fine, but as soon as you go ingame and close the console, keys stop responding again. It seems key bindings only work if the console is active.

Blitzkrieg
Banned

Post by Blitzkrieg » Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Turn discord overlay off. Thanks to PhobosMarine from our VGL technical department. That 100% solved the issue for me. That still makes me wonder about what interactions may lie between the overlay and the surface layer...

SeranTheMoo
New User

Post by SeranTheMoo » Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Blitzkrieg wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 pm
Turn discord overlay off. Thanks to PhobosMarine from our VGL technical department. That 100% solved the issue for me. That still makes me wonder about what interactions may lie between the overlay and the surface layer...
Yep! This worked for me too! Thanks so much! I don't really use the overlay anyways so this is no skin off my bones.

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Wed May 09, 2018 10:08 pm

It's not like the shitty overlay worked with anything anyway.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Blitzkrieg
Banned

Post by Blitzkrieg » Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 pm

No problemo, be sure to spread this solution around for those of you that it worked for.