General help and assistance forum.
BURZUM
Forum Regular
Clan: DOOMDADDIES
Clan Tag: [DD]

Big map starts lagging... after a time

Post by BURZUM » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:17 am

Hey guys,

as some of you know we (the Doomdaddies) like to play big and hard wads in survival mode for a long time now. It's been several years I realized some strange lagging occurring after a time.
No mods, just original Doom (Zandronum)!! I waited to ask this question until now, because I bought a new (and really strong) PC.

The phenomenon:
In big maps -I would say more than 1k monsters- after a time, for example half an hour, a very soft lagg starts to occur, every 3-5 seconds. If we continue playing the map this lagg will increase.
It is noticable that it will disappear after 1: we finish the level! 2: I die, quit Doom and restart!

I always thought it would be my shitty PC, but now I bought a new one. My internet connection is also not bad (100k). Usualy a friend of mine hosts a server (also 100k).

Has anybody of you already experienced this phenomenon? And is there something I can do?
I saw a new option in the actual Zandronum version, something like "empty your cache" or so - but this option won't help.

For me, it feels like some sort of cache is getting filled or so....

Thx in advance for your answers!

Konda
Forum Regular

Re: Big map starts lagging... after a time

Post by Konda » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:04 am

I had this happen to me too. After playing a map for a while, every 5-6 seconds the game would freeze for about half a second and then continue running normally for the next 5-6 seconds. I haven't experienced this kind of lag for a while now, especially since I got a new PC, but it could be because I don't play very big maps. Also it always happened to me on complex doom but that's because I practically only play survival with complex doom.

BURZUM
Forum Regular

Post by BURZUM » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:24 pm

That's exactly what I am talking about....

BURZUM
Forum Regular

Post by BURZUM » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:27 pm

I can explain you how to generate this "error"
It happenend to me again yesterday: I started the Slaughterfest 3.wad (sf3c.wad).

I start a server, even my own server that I join via LAN with a ping of 1, I start map 20 (about 4400 monsters), start to play and with the first wave of monsters it appears!
Or: map 13 with brutal doom: same same!
Interesting fact: a friend of my mine joined that server and could play without problems. His pc is not as fast as mine.
We did it the other way around: he hostet, I joined - the same problem.

In my opinion this error occurs in moments with a lot traffic (those moments with the "missing paket" errors everyone of us still knows...