Server hosting question

General help and assistance forum.
Dynamo
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Server hosting question

Post by Dynamo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:51 am

Hello. I have a problem when hosting servers. I have portforwarded and everything, the servers in themselves work just fine, people can connect to them and play.

The problem is that I cannot connect to them. Whenever I do, it gets stuck on "Authenticating levels..." or "Connecting to...", while from the server window it says "invalid request from IP, ignoring for 10 seconds" on repeat until I stop trying to connect.

This happens on any wad, even just vanilla doom2. Any clues as to why? I remember years ago I used to have this problem and I bypassed it by first hosting the server as LAN, allowing me to connect, and then making it public so everyone else could also connect. However that no longer seems to work...

Empyre
Zandrone

Re: Server hosting question

Post by Empyre » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 pm

If you are playing on the same computer as the server, connect to the loopback IP, 127.0.0.1:10666 (or whatever port number you use). If you are not on the same computer as the server, but on a LAN with it, use the LAN IP, not the global IP, to connect. Either way, instead of advertising to LAN, in Doomseeker, go to Options / Configure / Custom Servers and add the IP and port there. If you use (I)DE, the process of adding a custom server is similar.

If that doesn't solve the problem, it is over my head.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."