A really stupid question

General help and assistance forum.
Spartan2005
New User

A really stupid question

Post by Spartan2005 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Hello

I'm new to Doom, so this is probably just a mistake of my own, but I need help with something. I'm using Zandronum to play Brutal Doom (great mod, btw) but I'm having a bit of trouble. It's not a bug, it's the settings: I dunno which setting to turn off to solve which problem. I know, stupid, but even more strange is that I can't seem to just tweak, play and then tweak again because whenever i turn something off/on nothing seems to happen.

Again, I dunno if this is a fault with Brutal Doom or Zandronum, just looking for some advice here.

- It would be great if I could find a way to turn off fog, dynamic lighting or both. I know it adds to the atmosphere but there are some levels where it's so dark I can't see anything and the fog turns all the beautiful bloody red into a crappy dark green color past a few feet.

- Also, anything past 4 explosions and my FPS takes a dive. Anything for that too?

Thank you.

Edit: Man, I'm dumb. I forgot to add: I'm playing on DOOM II here.

Fused
Contributor

Re: A really stupid question

Post by Fused » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 am

Welcome to the forums!

If you open your console (default key is `, under escape) you can type the following commands in order to do what you want.

- gl_fogmode 0 removed fog altogether, and gl_lights 0 removes all dynamic light features
- The lag in brutal is unfixable. However, Brutal doom v21, which should release hopefully next month, changed the way stacked explosions behave. They will have their own animation and is less laggy. Alternatively you can try putting bd_lowgraphicsmode 1 in the console to allow Brutal Doom to take care of a lot of gibs.

Alternatively, the menu has more options which you can play around with, in Options > Display options > opengl options
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Spartan2005
New User

Re: A really stupid question

Post by Spartan2005 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you!