VPN + Spambot = serious problem, but could be helped

General help and assistance forum.
squiblez
New User

VPN + Spambot = serious problem, but could be helped

Post by squiblez » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:40 am

So about a week ago me and my buddy were playing sfrenzy in his living-room when another player joined in and was being incredibly obnoxious, so of course we left, he followed us to a few other servers before eventually we created our own temporary one and made it public because the entire reason we use Zandronum is playing with other people.

Sure enough, he joined, I banned him immediately and before you know it he's joining, calling random votes, spamming, at extremely high speeds. So I disabled voting, banned him. But that only stops him for around 60 seconds before he's back from another IP, and to make it worse, he logs in using the same nickname and skin/color as another player. So when I select his user name, or a vote is called to ban/kick, someone else is also banned, or if we ignore him eventually everyone leaves.

Is there no way the Zandronum server interface can be changed to select and ban an IP ADDRESS instead of selecting a user/nickname and having the IP associated with it banned? That always results in banning the wrong person(s), and its hard to select/copy his IP from the server console because he is spamming chat, extremely fast. This would be a nice change to see in an update.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning 90% of what he says using someone elses nickname is him begging for anal sex, the other 10% is very racist.

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

Re: VPN + Spambot = serious problem, but could be helped

Post by WaTaKiD » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:02 am

the latest zan 3.0 beta ( https://zandronum.com/download#betas ) disallows duplicate names, which will take care of accidentally banning the wrong player

it also has sv_voteconnectwait, which you can set to for example, 30, which will prevent newly connecting clients from calling a vote for 30 seconds (if you dont want to disable voting entirely)

as for the constant proxy ban evasion, you could try setting up https://github.com/AlexMax/zanproxy to help alleviate some of the pressure

and finally, for the spam, there is a suggestion for a server-wide mute, but it hasnt been implemented yet (more info: http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=2915 )

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:06 pm

That looks like just what I need to deal with that same guy, but when I follow the link, all I see is uncompiled source code.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Empyre wrote:That looks like just what I need to deal with that same guy, but when I follow the link, all I see is uncompiled source code.
Well lucky for you, there's a section in the readme showing you how to turn that uncompiled source code into compiled source code.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova