Dealing with -heavily- dedicated cluster troll (aka massive retard)

General help and assistance forum.
Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Dealing with -heavily- dedicated cluster troll (aka massive retard)

Post by Doomkid » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:13 am

Hey people, myself and a small handful of people have been trying to deal with this problem but haven't been as successful as I'd like.

For the last 3-4 months, some lowlife(s) have been trolling the Doomshack Zandronum server cluster quite religiously. Doesn't matter the time of day, these losers watch like hawks until someone joins, then they immediately follow with fake (or more often, impersonating) usernames and begin spamming all kinds of vulgarities non stop. They've somehow modified their clients to ignore the spam block timer that Zand (and other cs ports) have.

We can ban their IPs, but not 10 seconds later, they generate brand new IPs and reconnect and do the same old shit until the server is totally cleared out. They watch my cluster in particular and there isn't a time of day where they won't strike - clearly they have no lives, no jobs and no friends. Those assisting me are 99% sure this is Shogun/Shadowfox's doing.

Anyone have any ideas at all? I've made a DW thread but need to ask here too, I don't want to take Down the Zand cluster just because of a few stray retards.

Here's the dw thread: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1686043
in it, KD makes some ZD specific suggestions, anything similar I can do in Zan? Really, any help at all is highly appreciated!

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Re: Dealing with -heavily- dedicated cluster troll (aka massive retard)

Post by Razgriz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 am

If your servers are ran non-automated get Alexmax's script it works quite well, I heard they think it's some racist propaganda or something, It's a good start regardless.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:30 am

Racist? huh? But yeah they're non-automated. I will get in touch with Alex, thanks for the info man, hopefully that script will do it.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:16 am

poor brutal doom players have to deal with this. im glad i rarely play on random pub coop servers now i guess, this stuff would have sucked for me a few years ago.

oh yea get any cool scripts alexmax made (wbuild ?)

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:23 am

I've had them in my server, too. Aiur850 gave me this alias to get rid of them. It prevents them from joining again, but unfortunately, it also prevents anybody else from joining. Luckily, you usually only need it running for a few minutes before they give up.

Code: Select all

alias kickloop "rcon kick_idx [number];wait 1; kickloop"
You have to make sure to use the right number.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:52 am

Here's that thing AlexMax made: https://github.com/alexmax/zanproxy
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:54 am

EDIT: Much appreciated, thank you Sean.

Thanks for the suggestion Empyre. Unfortunately these guys are so dedicated that getting them out for a half hour game session or so isn't even enough, every hour every day (or so it seems) they just watch for a minute to break in. We got to the point where we already had to make similar binds, which is both funny and frustrating at the same time
poor brutal doom players have to deal with this. im glad i rarely play on random pub coop servers now i guess, this stuff would have sucked for me a few years ago.
It's so shitty, I only even get to use the cluster for a couple hours here and there most weeks, but others used it quite a lot for their random pub games of all varieties until this troll shit happened. A few people are working to help me and thus help other cluster admins with the same problem, so hopefully there will be a somewhat definitive solution to this soon enough. All suggestions are still welcome in the time being though of course

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:14 am

Doomkid wrote:Here's the dw thread: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1686043
in it, KD makes some ZD specific suggestions, anything similar I can do in Zan? Really, any help at all is highly appreciated!
Zandronum's ignore / ignore_idx commands sound similar to the chatblock mentioned in the thread. In the worst case, you could mute the whole server.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:19 am

Is there ever a legitimate reason to use a proxy to connect to a server? If not, maybe the master server can be modded to automatically block proxies, or if that won't work, how about modding the dedicated servers to block proxies? If it is feasible, then I or somebody else could make a tracker ticket for it.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Samurai
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:19 am

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Ah yes. The classic John-O conundrum.

A troll with an unlimited IP range as well as an unlimited amount of time to spend trying to piss off a tiny community who won't even remember him.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:59 am

What's the command to mute the whole server? I didn't see the command originally but it will help a ton!

Also, if there was somehow an option to prevent proxies connecting on an individual server basis, that would be swell.

(lol Samurai that was like the first thing that came to mind when this shit started)
Skeleton1 wrote:You deserve
I'm glad you think I deserve all the help I've been getting :)

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:00 am

Capo's been disposed of again.

Moving on!

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:45 am

Torr Samaho wrote:
Doomkid wrote:Here's the dw thread: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1686043
Zandronum's ignore / ignore_idx commands sound similar to the chatblock mentioned in the thread. In the worst case, you could mute the whole server.
Just to clarify, do you mean mute the whole server via ignore_idx? The problem is that they immediately get around it with a new ip or even simply reconnecting. A command to just mute all player chat in a server would be swell, does anything like that exist currently? If not it'd be great to see it in future versions. It would make it so the host only has to type a single command to deter trolls and everyone can get on with playing until the troll leaves. If they come back, just mute chat again. A lot of games have this, I think it would make a great feature and would give trolls very little to work with.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:12 am

Doomkid wrote: Just to clarify, do you mean mute the whole server via ignore_idx? The problem is that they immediately get around it with a new ip or even simply reconnecting.
Unfortunately, you would need to make a loop like you did with kick_idx for all player slots to prevent reconnecting clients from talking.
Doomkid wrote:A command to just mute all player chat in a server would be swell, does anything like that exist currently? If not it'd be great to see it in future versions. It would make it so the host only has to type a single command to deter trolls and everyone can get on with playing until the troll leaves. If they come back, just mute chat again. A lot of games have this, I think it would make a great feature and would give trolls very little to work with.
We don't have such a full mute yet, but it should be easy to add and be very helpful in your case. Can you make a ticket for this on the tracker?

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

Post by WaTaKiD » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Doomkid wrote:A command to just mute all player chat in a server would be swell, does anything like that exist currently? If not it'd be great to see it in future versions. It would make it so the host only has to type a single command to deter trolls and everyone can get on with playing until the troll leaves. If they come back, just mute chat again. A lot of games have this, I think it would make a great feature and would give trolls very little to work with.
We don't have such a full mute yet, but it should be easy to add and be very helpful in your case. Can you make a ticket for this on the tracker?
done: http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=2915

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks a million!

DiLLWeeD
Registered just to make one post

Post by DiLLWeeD » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Empyre wrote:I've had them in my server, too. Aiur850 gave me this alias to get rid of them. It prevents them from joining again, but unfortunately, it also prevents anybody else from joining. Luckily, you usually only need it running for a few minutes before they give up.

Code: Select all

alias kickloop "rcon kick_idx [number];wait 1; kickloop"
You have to make sure to use the right number.
After you execute this , how do you stop the loop when you feel the troll has moved on?

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:00 pm

DiLLWeeD wrote: After you execute this , how do you stop the loop when you feel the troll has moved on?
Alias kickloop ""

Although this is a really bad idea because this will kick legit players aswell. Just dont be lazy and do it manually before mistakes happen. If you worry about someone's id, download ZCC
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Well there is another thing I'd like to say that might make it harder for them to troll a server, chat restriction unless IP/name/whatever is registered in the server by the owner, this is a pretty complex fix to it because if someone wants to talk, they have to find a way to contact the owner.