Is there a way to cap fps properly yet?

General help and assistance forum.
Polsom
New User

Is there a way to cap fps properly yet?

Post by Polsom » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:09 am

I have only recently after having to swap out my GPU noticed that Zandronum works the card extremely hard. I can't run with V-sync due to having an IPS monitor and the ridiculous option to enable 30fps mode is not a related fix. The problem comes from the fact that Zandronum natively renders a lot of frames due to it being a relatively low intensity game, however when you couple that with the fact that I can't use V-sync the GPU all of a sudden has to work extremely hard to make those frames. There is no reason for my game to be running at 300+ FPS and this is not the only game I've had this issue, however all other games either have built in settings or allow Radeon Crimson or Nvidia control panel to take over to limit the output of frames. Limiting the amount of frames obviously causes a great deal more screen tearing but this is something I've learned comes at the cost of having an IPS panel.
Is there going to be a fix in the pipeline or is there something that can be done to cap the FPS at 60?

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

Re: Is there a way to cap fps properly yet?

Post by WaTaKiD » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:41 am

zan 3.0 has vid_maxfps, but it only works when using software and not opengl

Polsom
New User

Post by Polsom » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:23 am

It's a step in the right direction but realistically not an option that would suit me. I also use fancy Re-Shade with Sweet-FX shaders which requires OpenGl there's really no going back once you have these installed. I'm under the impression 3.0 is still under development which means this could still be added. I suppose I'll have to just keep waiting to see if anything happens.

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Depending on your GPU Manufacturer, you should be able to set a hard FPS limit in their control panel.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Capped FPS is not ridiculous and not 30 fps. It's 35 and True Doom (tm).

Polsom
New User

Post by Polsom » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:12 am

Dark-Assassin wrote:Depending on your GPU Manufacturer, you should be able to set a hard FPS limit in their control panel.
Like I said in the original post AMD Crimson doesn't work with Zandronum, not sure if the same applies to Nvidia cards.
ZZYZX wrote:Capped FPS is not ridiculous and not 30 fps. It's 35 and True Doom (tm).
Look its 2016 and I want the game to look and feel as modern as possible, 35 fps IS noticible and not just slightly.