Bug: OS X Zandronum performance is very choppy

General help and assistance forum.
esselfortium
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Bug: OS X Zandronum performance is very choppy

Post by esselfortium » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi there!

I'm currently running Zandronum 1.3 on OS X 10.10, running on a 4.0GHz Intel Core i7 with 16gb RAM and a GeForce GTX 760. Zandronum is noticeably choppy enough to be a handicap to playing.

I had the exact same problem on my previous computer, a 2009-era iMac that was running OS X 10.6.8, so it's not a hardware or system-related issue. It doesn't seem to be affected by switching renderers. I also had the same problem on previous Zandronum versions.

The latest ZDoom build from http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom-mac/ performs perfectly smoothly. I believe it's using something other than SDL, which might be the issue here.

Would it be possible to repackage Zandronum's OS X builds in the same way? It would make a massive difference in playability.

Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by esselfortium on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

RE: Bug: OS X Zandronum performance is very choppy

Post by Watermelon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:57 am

Linux has a bit of the same problems. I find it choppy and can't use it for competitive play. It works for me when testing though. I know this doesn't help :( so I'm sorry.

Out of curiosity: How does zdoom 2.5 play? or 2.3.1? (if such builds are even available).
Last edited by Watermelon on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr fiat
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by mr fiat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 am

Watermelon wrote: Linux has a bit of the same problems. I find it choppy and can't use it for competitive play. It works for me when testing though. I know this doesn't help :( so I'm sorry.

Out of curiosity: How does zdoom 2.5 play? or 2.3.1? (if such builds are even available).
I never had performance issues under linux, i was using a AMD A4-5300 at the time.

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:19 pm

You tried vid_vsync 0, right?
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

mentaluproar

Post by mentaluproar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:01 pm

I have similar issue in 10.10, but only in single-player. If I launch and play in multiplayer, it's just fine.

esselfortium

Post by esselfortium » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Konar6 wrote: You tried vid_vsync 0, right?
Yeah. It didn't seem to make a difference.

Older ZDoom builds had similar performance issues, but the latest ZDoom builds from DRDteam are smooth. I'm not entirely sure what changed, but it would be great if it could be incorporated into the Mac Zandro builds.

esselfortium

Re: Bug: OS X Zandronum performance is very choppy

Post by esselfortium » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:27 am

Hi. Bumping this thread from 2015.

I've just tried the current latest Mac Zandro build (3.0, there are no development builds listed for Mac), and the bug I reported is still here, making software mode unplayable. The framerate is choppy and input feels laggy. The CL_CapFPS and Vid_VSync settings don't improve it at all. Worse yet, switching to GL renderer is now causing Zandro to crash consistently on launch, so things are now even more broken than before. I've tried reinstalling from scratch and I've tried trashing my ini file, no luck. I'm running macOS 10.12.5.

GZDoom's software and GL renderers both work perfectly smoothly on my computer, so I don't think it's anything wrong with my setup. And based on the OP of this thread, I was having this same problem on different OS versions and on an entirely different computer.

I'm really unhappy that this is still a problem and has actually become worse since I reported it four years ago. I was looking forward to playing some with friends but it looks like I'm going to have just sit out unless this can be fixed.

Please help!

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:04 pm

I am also experiencing choppiness in Linux, both in software and opengl. Even though vid_fps reports framerates of 60fps and above. GZDoom (4.1.3, on linux) and Zandronum on Windows both work perfectly smoothly, both in software and opengl. The choppiness in my case however is not significant enough to hinder gameplay, although it is annoying and I occasionally find myself booting into windows just to play Zandronum.

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Konda wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:04 pm
I am also experiencing choppiness in Linux, both in software and opengl. Even though vid_fps reports framerates of 60fps and above. GZDoom (4.1.3, on linux) and Zandronum on Windows both work perfectly smoothly, both in software and opengl. The choppiness in my case however is not significant enough to hinder gameplay, although it is annoying and I occasionally find myself booting into windows just to play Zandronum.
Try building SDL 1.2 from source - that fixes the choppiness for me.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova