That "incorrect version" issue

General help and assistance forum.
Luke
Forum Regular

That "incorrect version" issue

Post by Luke » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:22 pm

How many among you remember that awkward storm of incoming connection attempt which someone suffered on his/her own server?

To englight who doesn't remember and to be clear see the spoiler

[spoiler]

Code: Select all

Offending lump name CYBRC8.
Effective sprite height of skin Arch-vile too big! Downsizing.
Offending lump name VILEG6.
Effective sprite width of skin Donatello too big! Downsizing.
Offending lump name DONNF1.
Effective sprite height of skin War too big! Downsizing.
Offending lump name WARRC1.
Effective sprite height of skin vixen too big! Downsizing.
Offending lump name VIXEB1.
Effective sprite height of skin cyberdemon_f too big! Downsizing.
Offending lump name CYBRC8.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading default status bar definition.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
using alternate port 10666
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Initializing network subsystem.
Server using alternate port 10666.
Winsock initialization succeeded!
NETWORK_Construct: Couldn't bind to 10666. Binding to 10667 instead...
IP address 192.168.1.64:10667
UDP Initialized.
MAP01 (Ingresso) added to map rotation list at position 1.
MAP02 (Sotterranei) added to map rotation list at position 2.
MAP03 (Le forche) added to map rotation list at position 3.
MAP04 (L'epicentro) added to map rotation list at position 4.
MAP05 (I tunnel dei rifiuti) added to map rotation list at position 5.
MAP06 (La pressa) added to map rotation list at position 6.
MAP07 (Morte pura) added to map rotation list at position 7.
MAP08 (Trucchi e trappole) added to map rotation list at position 8.
MAP09 (Il pozzo) added to map rotation list at position 9.
MAP10 (Base di rifornimento) added to map rotation list at position 10.
MAP11 ('o' della distruzione!) added to map rotation list at position 11.
MAP12 (La fabbrica) added to map rotation list at position 12.
MAP13 (Periferia) added to map rotation list at position 13.
MAP14 (Gli antri profondi) added to map rotation list at position 14.
MAP15 (Zona industriale) added to map rotation list at position 15.
MAP16 (Sobborghi) added to map rotation list at position 16.
MAP17 (Possedimenti) added to map rotation list at position 17.
MAP18 (Il cortile) added to map rotation list at position 18.
MAP19 (La cittadella) added to map rotation list at position 19.
MAP20 (Preso!) added to map rotation list at position 20.
MAP21 (Nirvana) added to map rotation list at position 21.
MAP22 (Le catacombe) added to map rotation list at position 22.
MAP23 (Barili del divertimento) added to map rotation list at position 23.
MAP24 (L'abisso) added to map rotation list at position 24.
MAP25 (Cascate di sangue) added to map rotation list at position 25.
MAP26 (Le miniere abbandonate) added to map rotation list at position 26.
MAP27 (Casa dei mostri) added to map rotation list at position 27.
MAP28 (Il mondo dello spirito) added to map rotation list at position 28.
MAP29 (La fine imminente) added to map rotation list at position 29.
MAP30 (Icona del peccato) added to map rotation list at position 30.
MAP31 (Wolfenstein) added to map rotation list at position 31.
MAP32 (Grosse) added to map rotation list at position 32.

*** MAP01: Ingresso ***

compatflags changed to: 1048576
Connect (vPlayer): 24.171.211.155:64087
Incorrect version.
24.171.211.155:64087 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
Connect (vPlayer): 86.89.51.68:27138
Incorrect version.
86.89.51.68:27138 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
Connect (v OPCD9): 82.58.80.151:16411
Incorrect version.
82.58.80.151:16411 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
Connect (vPlayer): 121.163.49.157:39565
Incorrect version.
121.163.49.157:39565 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
Connect (vPlayer): 78.15.129.126:20751
Incorrect version.
78.15.129.126:20751 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
Connect (vPlayer): 78.15.236.115:63975
Incorrect version.
78.15.236.115:63975 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
Connect (vPlayer): 95.234.169.106:52774
Incorrect version.
95.234.169.106:52774 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
Connect (v   cY)): 2.100.12.12:59068
Incorrect version.
2.100.12.12:59068 disconnected. Ignoring IP for 10 seconds.
[/spoiler]

Besides the italian (I hate whoever helped to translate zdoom in italian) and the various errors, you can see those connection attempt.
I made this thread to discuss this issue, to try to keep the inconvenience at the minumum level.
I noticed that this happens only on port 10667, so an easy way to solve this issue would be to change the server port to another one.

I don't know if the dev team was aware of the fact that this happens only on the port 10667 (as far as I've seen), if not here you go!
Also I wish to thank you for the work you did and are doing, and despite of what some (troll?) says you're making this port even better than ST; I see you gave a delay of 10 seconds before the next attempt already (though this won't help much to solve this problem, yet is clear how you care of what we say).
On a final not I have to say that I use bittorrent, and I bound my BT port to 10667; I thought that the connection attempt could have come from there (peers looking for a torent). If any of you have the same issue and use BT check if your BT port is the same on which you receive all these incoming connections attempt, so we could find out that it's just a bittorrent's issue, and the solution is just to change the BT port to one not used to host home servers. :smile:

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

RE: That "incorrect version" issue

Post by Dark-Assassin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Just by looking at the data inside the brackets, looks like another flood attempt. I easily recognize it.
If they are trying to connect with Skulltag or Zandronum, it will show their version.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 pm

As a general remark, if you think something is a bug and you want to report it, please do so at the tracker. That's the only way to ensure that we see your report.

Regarding the issue at hand, you can't bind two different services to the same port. If you already use it for BT, Zandronum should automatically use a different port. Do you get the storm of incoming connection attempts also if you don't use BT?

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:Regarding the issue at hand, you can't bind two different services to the same port. If you already use it for BT, Zandronum should automatically use a different port. Do you get the storm of incoming connection attempts also if you don't use BT?
I didn't illustrate it correctly... I used BT with its port set to 10667, then I closed BT and after one hour I decided to host, and I noticed those connections.
Since I receive those requests only on the port used for BT I thought that my peers could have been keep trying to connect to me through that port to download my files, even though I was gone offline (they might have set a configuration that keeps trying to connect even though the seed seems offline). I don't know that this could be possible, anyhow I will try to change my BT port to something else like 666 and see if in the next days I'll go thorugh the same issue.

As for reporting this in the tracker: I will, I made a topic because for what I remember of the thread on skulltag's forum none knew what causes this issue, therefore is necessary to collect as much data as possible to determine what's the cause and so how this can be fixed (right?). I also thought that more people look at the forums rather than to the bug tracker (I.E. myself) and so that having a thread to discuss this might help. As for saying: check out your own servers and see if you encounter this issue and write if you use BT or another p2p program or not.

A last thought is that my feelings tell me that BT is the cause (with no knowledge of any programming language or network functioning), because I just closed BT after few hours of downloading and, restarted the server on the 10667 port, I got many more connections per second than few hours ago when I started the server one hour after having closed BT.

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm

First of all: sorry for the double post but few days are passed and I want to highlight this post.
I changed my BT port, and now the port 10667 isn't used from anything else than doom servers.... and those connections aren't there anymore!
I started a server on the port 10667 and waited few minutes but I did not receive any connection. This could be a coincidence and so I will try to leave the server up as soon as it will be possible.
As for now I'd say that those connections has nothing to do with an attack.

If you experienced this issue confirm or deny what I just said.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:18 am

Luke wrote: I changed my BT port, and now the port 10667 isn't used from anything else than doom servers.... and those connections aren't there anymore!
Alright, so it sounds as if everything is working as intended then. The fact that Zandronum is reporting connection attempts when BT clients send packets to a Zandronum server is not really a bug.

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Luke wrote:Besides the italian (I hate whoever helped to translate zdoom in italian)
If you don't like translated messages you can use

Code: Select all

language enu
in console to force it to speak english.

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Luke wrote: I changed my BT port, and now the port 10667 isn't used from anything else than doom servers.... and those connections aren't there anymore!
Alright, so it sounds as if everything is working as intended then. The fact that Zandronum is reporting connection attempts when BT clients send packets to a Zandronum server is not really a bug.
Yes, I remember I raised the problem in the skulltag's forums and someone created a support request in the bug tracker of skulltag because I wasn't the only one suffering this. I didn't know if you exported the bug tracker from ST to Zandronum, but in case I wanted to point out that it's a 'bug' caused by BT, while the port is okay (someone added a delay of 10seconds as someone suggested indeed).
Now I can't access my home network and I didn't had the time to let few servers up for a long time and see if I received any connection storm, I'll make sure to do this once I go back at home (2 months) so that we can say that the issue has nothing to do with the port (which is pretty clear already, but if a doublecheck it's free I'm happy to do it, because that's the most I can help the developing).

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Luke wrote: I didn't know if you exported the bug tracker from ST to Zandronum
FYI, the Zandronum tracker is a seamless continuation of Skulltag's tracker and contains all of its tickets, but everything only reported on the Skulltag bug report forum is lost.
Luke wrote: Now I can't access my home network and I didn't had the time to let few servers up for a long time and see if I received any connection storm, I'll make sure to do this once I go back at home (2 months) so that we can say that the issue has nothing to do with the port (which is pretty clear already, but if a doublecheck it's free I'm happy to do it, because that's the most I can help the developing).
Sure, would be nice if you check this once you get a chance.