Zandronum bug--black screen?

General help and assistance forum.
Omega
New User

Zandronum bug--black screen?

Post by Omega » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:06 pm

hello! i downloaded zandronum *the newest version* and when ever i go to start it it shows the loading screen you know at the top of it "zandronum ver... doom 2:hell on earth" but then when it goes to full screen nothing happens its literally just a black screen and i really have no clue how to fix it. was there anything needed to install? all i had to do was extract zandronum and that was it so im also wondering if i missed something for it. I would really enjoy any help that i get :D
let zandronum prosper and invite more to play :biggrin:

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

RE: Zandronum bug--black screen?

Post by Torr Samaho » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Did you install it in a new directory? Did the latest Skulltag 98e beta build work for you?

Omega
New User

Post by Omega » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:29 am

i dont believe i ever tried the beta build for 98e and im sure i didnt install Zandronum in a new directory i've redownloaded zandronum and put everything where it was supposed to go and still a black screen everything loads up and but then when its about to go to the game its a black screen i hope the new info helps even though its not very much

Omega
New User

Post by Omega » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:51 am

issue was resolved through programming i was able to make it so it was no longer fullscreen it seems the issue was for some strange reason full screen just made it black out

Ruin
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Ruin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:54 am

Torr Samaho wrote: Did you install it in a new directory? Did the latest Skulltag 98e beta build work for you?
Have not tried 98e (we live in the same house) though if it helps, 98d works fine with no issues. Even on fullscreen.

What's going is with zandronum is that for some reason, when it's installed on this particular machine, it never asked whether I wanted to use opengl or software. It would go fullscreen, completely black, soak up 90+ percent of the cpu and sit there till I ctrl+alt+deleted it. I went into the the .ini and changed the following values:

Code: Select all

Fullscreen=false
vid_winscale=1
vid_renderer=0
At this point, it was still set to OpenGL which on this computer (it's an older windows XP system)..bogged it down a bit. Reset it to software, started it back up and ran it at 640x480. All is well. As soon as I set it to full screen mode in the vid settings..it went back to full black screen and eating up cpu usage. If it's set to windowed mode and maximized, it runs fine. As soon as it's set to full screen mode, it breaks. In short, the issue is fixed but it's just a band-aid fix.
Last edited by Ruin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Secondly, <PRO> is utter shit, and they're only "known" because almost all of them are also staff." - /vr/

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am

Is the monitor a CRT? Sounds to me that the system isn't reporting the right maximum Refresh Rate for your monitor. I used to get that all of the time (black screen on full-screen, out of range refresh/resolution), until I found the driver for my particular monitor. (Most don't need a driver, but there are rare times when you do.)
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Ruin wrote: Have not tried 98e (we live in the same house) though if it helps, 98d works fine with no issues. Even on fullscreen.
Then it would be good to check a recent version of 98e too.
Ruin wrote: What's going is with zandronum is that for some reason, when it's installed on this particular machine, it never asked whether I wanted to use opengl or software.
The opengl/software + fullscreen/window selection is done in the IWAD selection screen. So if you only have one IWAD you won't see it.
StrikerMan780 wrote: Is the monitor a CRT? Sounds to me that the system isn't reporting the right maximum Refresh Rate for your monitor.
If it's a CRT that's a very reasonable explanation (as long as you hear sounds normally while the screen is black).