Assignable Individual Weapon Selection Keys

General help and assistance forum.
Seele00TextOnly
New User

Assignable Individual Weapon Selection Keys

Post by Seele00TextOnly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Hope this request is in an appropriate subforum, and if not I apologize.

I'm in the minority of players that uses the Arrow Keys for movement instead of WASD, and because of this I can't practically change weapons in the current settings aside from my assigned cycling key (I use the scroll wheel) because the numbers above the QWERTY part of the keyboard are sort of far. Anyway, I was wondering if perhaps there could be the option in future releases to assign individual weapon select keys as going to the number keypad instead of the QWERTY numbers.

Or, if it would be determined that it wouldn't disrupt play balance somehow, each weapon could be assigned as one sees fit anywhere in general. Like, WASD players could make the rocketlauncher '2' or whatever. But that might be a more radical suggestion, I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, I'm sure plenty of us Arrow Key users would appreciate the option to switch them to the number keypad and it would help balance it out for us ever so slightly moreso. It'd really be nice to have the option.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

RE: Assignable Individual Weapon Selection Keys

Post by Marcaek » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:46 pm

sup arrow key buddy

Try this, go to your ingame console (using the ~ key) and type:

bind X "slot #"

Where X is the key you want to use, and # is the number of the weapon to assign. If you want to bind to the keypad, you'll want to replace X with kpX, replacing the X with the number on the pad you want to use.
Last edited by Marcaek on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:49 pm

I am an arrow key user. Here is what I do

bind KP4 "slot x
bind KP5 "slot x
bind KP6 "slot x

Those keys are the rocket launcher, ssg, and bfg. You can probably do other things to like having enter cycle through weapons.

I forgot the order of slots are so you'll have to press 1 through 8 and see which is which. I think 1 is fist, 2 is chainsaw, and so on.

Arrow key users should specifically use the number pad, shift, ctrl, end, delete, and home in my opinion.
Last edited by Mobius on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seele00TextOnly
New User

Post by Seele00TextOnly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh wow, thanks you guys! That's great, I had no idea I could do that. Awesome help, thanks a bunch!
Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:16 pm

I suppose you could also do something like this for certain weapons, but I'd wait until you're comfortable with your new settings before doing anything advanced like this:

bind X "slot 3"
doublebind X "slot 7"

This way, pressing the button you assign to X once will switch to the SSG, but tapping it twice quickly will instantly bring up the BFG.

There's a more efficient way of doing this, just putting it here as an example. You can make very useful binds once you get the hang of the console and it's commands :) Just be sure to back up your skulltag\zandronum .ini files beforehand.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:28 am

1 is fist/chainsaw, 2 is pistol, 3 is (super) shotgun, 4 is chaingun, 5 is rocket launcher, 6 is plasma rifle, 7 is bfg9000
if you've played odamex, then be warned - slot 8 is not the chainsaw
you can also do "use <weapon>" - i don't believe that's portable to odamex though
as for cycling aliases, this is basically what you'd want (modify as needed ofc):

Code: Select all

alias usessg "use supershotgun; rebind userl"
alias userl "use rockerlauncher; rebind usebfg"
alias usebfg "use bfg9000; rebind usessg"
i'd personally just not bother though - hitting multiple keys (or one key multiple times) to get to a weapon is kinda excessive