A Beginners Guide to Playing CTF [Video]

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Frits
Forum Regular

Re: A Beginners Guide to Playing CTF [Video]

Post by Frits » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:58 am

You are a good defender ammar, how about some map specific videos? This is a bit too basic but if you digest map by map i'm sure 99% of the community would learn something from it.
(i certainly would lmao)

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:28 pm

How about y'all just drop it.

This is not the place for this.

I'd rather not murder this thread because the OP is legitimate but do we really need to air dirty laundry and bicker for multiple pages immediately after? No.

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:15 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote:How about y'all just drop it.

I'd rather not murder this thread because the OP is legitimate but do we really need to air dirty laundry and bicker for multiple pages immediately after? No.
Sorry to be pedantic, but it's only 2 people. Most people posting in this thread were offering constructive criticism, or praising the video itself. Unfair to generalize it as everyone posting in the thread.

Kara Kurt

Post by Kara Kurt » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
RoSKing wrote:A3 could probably take notes instead of playing 2 D and wondering why they never score. Maybe then they would quit dodging games. HEY OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
We do score and our last scrims we played vs I and HN, we won. Once again speaking without knowing anything. LOL
That's because most of our scrims weren't played outside of NJ. It's not like it matters anyways.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Kara Kurt wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
RoSKing wrote:A3 could probably take notes instead of playing 2 D and wondering why they never score. Maybe then they would quit dodging games. HEY OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
We do score and our last scrims we played vs I and HN, we won. Once again speaking without knowing anything. LOL
That's because most of our scrims weren't played outside of NJ. It's not like it matters anyways.
You never offered to play elsewhere.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Samurai wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's only 2 people. Most people posting in this thread were offering constructive criticism, or praising the video itself. Unfair to generalize it as everyone posting in the thread.
I use that word a ton, seems without realizing how many are involved

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:29 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote:
Samurai wrote:

I use that word a ton, seems without realizing how many are involved
It's ok TTA. I'll take responsibility and punishment for the turn-out of this thread. I just didn't know that certain people can't take criticism.
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Dranzer
Forum Regular
Clan: squared

Post by Dranzer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Decay wrote:
The Toxic Avenger wrote: I'd rather not murder this thread because the OP is legitimate but do we really need to air dirty laundry and bicker for multiple pages immediately after? No.
spam
i can agree with this
<Galactus>you're lightyears away from having me banned for this

^ 3 month ban (6months now nice evade)

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Can you not
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Oh, how I wish the banhammer the Sentinel gave me worked on the forums...
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:25 pm

did something cool happen? damn i missed it.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:11 pm

You are correct but to fair, the thread had basically settled down until a drunk driver tried to derail the thread and turn it into a clan vs clan thread.

Shane wrote:Where is a guide on how to be a good priv captain now? Everyone on here plays well enough, but the team building scenario is absolutely horrendous in a lot of cases. I will agree with Mobius in the sense that these guides are beginning to pile up, another one just isn't going to change what there is currently out there.
This is exactly the whole point I tried to make before people whose names aren't Ammar took the criticism personally for no reason. The video tutorial takes a unique approach compared to the written guides that precede it, however the fact remains that pure 'Beginner' guides are plentiful and they already do the job of giving new players the overview of playing CTF. If any new player actually skimmed through the old guides, they'd be at the point where they could join a CTF server and start playing comfortably.

Essentially it's an ineffective use of time to make Beginner Guides when the community would benefit more from more advanced type of guides such as playing Defense or, as you suggested, how to Cap and not screw up in Priv. Recall the VGL workshop died so there is room for guides covering brief overviews of different maps. A video approach would probably be more effective at showing different scenarios that play out in a real match.

Karakurt wrote:hat's because most of our scrims weren't played outside of NJ. It's not like it matters anyways.
As Mobius already stated: you never offered to play elsewhere when you(HN) asked us for scrims. Don't you all get upset and take my statement personally because I didn't bring it up to brag about winning. I brought it up to simply show Caboose is retarded and should spend less time shit posting. HN was our favorite clan to play against anyway. Tough and extremely coordinated. RIP

Sean wrote:Oh, how I wish the banhammer the Sentinel gave me worked on the forums...
Backseat modding doesn't help the topic. Try actually addressing the OP's video next time or simply buzz off.

cenou
Under Moderation

Post by cenou » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:36 am

Ammar we can always make a how to be good at styx8 ssl2 and dweller duel video and show the trickles and skillets of how 2 shoot frag for frag to 25-10 any top tier noob

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:56 am

cenou wrote:Ammar we can always make a how to be good at styx8 ssl2 and dweller duel video and show the trickles and skillets of how 2 shoot frag for frag to 25-10 any top tier noob
What is that unreadable incoherent shit? Damn cenn were you educated at all?

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Sorry to bump this.

What I've noticed is in the community has a lack of players casting in game action. Might be worth trying this as casting some old IDL footage, or even some more updated action here in Zandronum could be more helpful to newer players.

Again maybe it would be better to have done this a few years ago when the competitive community was more active, but I think casting CTF scrims or some memorable old matches down the years would be a good move. I wouldn't mind doing this myself, not sure if anyone else would be up for it.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Samurai wrote:Sorry to bump this.

What I've noticed is in the community has a lack of players casting in game action. Might be worth trying this as casting some old IDL footage, or even some more updated action here in Zandronum could be more helpful to newer players.

Again maybe it would be better to have done this a few years ago when the competitive community was more active, but I think casting CTF scrims or some memorable old matches down the years would be a good move. I wouldn't mind doing this myself, not sure if anyone else would be up for it.
That would be good except that you have to run into every demo of every scrim not compatible with any version of Skulltag/Zandronum and this isn't including things like Zdaemon. No one scrims in Odamex so that isn't a concern.

The second problem is who is going to do it? You can't let just anyone cast for a scrim especially if they themselves aren't involved in either party (can you imagine someone like idk Alien casting for I vs R). I mean drama wise I can see this being really good, but for the most part if you get some very critical people in the cast all you'll hear is "Both clans suck," ad nauseam and honestly you might as well just not cast. You need someone who is honest but fair enough where it isn't a dickwave my clan > everyone else. The second issue if, say, we're talking about today scrims? Good luck with that. No one scrims each other. The only clans actively scrimming, and before you are critical of this, is A3 vs everyone. I never see DRZ vs VGL or I vs E or whatever combination of the 8 I can think of. I think more clans should be willing to fight each other before we talk about casting.

The last issue honestly not listed as the 2 is competitive advantages. I mean if we had an influx of new players on a regular then I suppose but we don't. We only recycle the same talent among each other. I mean at this point why would we really give away and professional spectate ourselves to the enemy or even remotely help the other clan? I mean I don't honestly care either way, but it's something to think about. So I suppose to summarize:

Find someone who is qualified and not a complete toxic 2010 attitude like asshole
Find someone who is qualified enough to do it that people are willing to listen to
Find demos
Get more clans to play

Kara Kurt

Post by Kara Kurt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:05 pm

"We" definitely need more (beginner) guides like this. Go ahead and make some more, Armour! You have my full support amigo.

That being said, it may be totally unrelated to the thread/ctf but I just made this as I caught some newbies giving 1v1 a shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g61lnjRd-g

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Mobi

Not sure if the IDL demo archive is around? But that would be a great way to start. Even WDL although it's Odamex. Just good games in general. I personally have demos still of some good scrims I've played in or witnessed by spectating, I'm sure others do too.

I don't see the problem in casting a game that you have no involvement in, infact it's probably better that way. I think there are a few people in this community who would be more than capable of casting. I used to do it myself in another community. I'd be more than happy to cast a game of A3 vs R for example. If you could get some decent casters (I can think of a few potentially good people) I doubt drama of biased casting would even be an issue.

I agree of late A3 seems to be scrimming everyone, ideally other clans will play each other in due course, it would certainly make casting more interesting.

I might make a thread about this in a while, but please if anyone would be interested in such an idea drop me a PM or something.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:58 am

I think it'd be cool to cast a game and potentially get a few more people involved in competitive ctf. I could (hopefully) provide insight as I'd like to think I have a relatively good understanding of most maps, so let me know if you'd like my help!

r4z0r
Banned
Clan: Homework Help

Post by r4z0r » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 am

Hi mr one year bump(almost on time) here Theres been a lot of talk and discussion but has anything actually come out of this? Ammar said he would make more videos and I dont really see any new tutorial videos on his channel. I like his GFA Match video that he uploaded cuz even tho he lost ppl can still learn from it and what mistakes he made but it seems like this whole thread was pointless dickwaving from everyone and nothing came out of it :(((( bring back vgl workshop that stuff was fun to read!!