VGL Workshop #01: Defense & You: Map18

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.

What do you want to see next?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Total votes: 0

Blitzkrieg
Banned
Clan: Video Game Legends
Clan Tag: [VGL]
Banned: Permanently

VGL Workshop #01: Defense & You: Map18

Post by Blitzkrieg » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:51 pm

I proudly present to you VGL's first production guide on CTF! Today we'll be covering the basics of defense on map18! Massive props to Siferah, he's the one that did most of it, I just put it into a more...interesting looking format! Enjoy!
Spoiler: Defense & You: Map18 (Open)

Criticism and input is welcome! Thanks a lot guys! Be sure to give kudos where it's due. :)
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

RE: VGL Workshop #01: Defense & You: Map18

Post by IdeIdoom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Usually, when you have an apt mid, as D you can push up and just camp on the bridge between run #1 and run #3. Helps your mid push up even more and put up good pressure and helps the flag carrier if he gets out.
Last edited by IdeIdoom on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ

Post by Mobius » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 pm

You do know Photoshop is cheaper nowadays right?
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Blitzkrieg
Banned

Post by Blitzkrieg » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:23 pm

I've never been a fan of Photoshop weirdly enough, just like GIMP better. The original was made in Paint, so yeah.

We actually won on 18 today. Hah.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Blitzkrieg wrote: I've never been a fan of Photoshop weirdly enough, just like GIMP better. The original was made in Paint, so yeah.

We actually won on 18 today. Hah.
Against A3?
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Blitzkrieg
Banned

Post by Blitzkrieg » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Most definitely not, but that wasn't the original statement. It was against DRZ.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Decay wrote:This is why VGL has never won on this map.
Well it's certainly better than what all people do upon seeing this map for the first time. ie, always sitting near the flag and getting massacred.

-_-
Forum Regular

Post by -_- » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:24 am

I request guide for map13 cuz i dont know how to play without good SSG spawns ??? :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 am

-_- wrote: I request guide for map13 cuz i dont know how to play without good SSG spawns ??? :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I am curious as well to see your map 13 guide

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:16 am

From my experience the best thing to do as map 13 def is not being a map 13 def and give this honorable duty to someone else :P

Blitzkrieg
Banned

Post by Blitzkrieg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:17 am

We'll get working on it for next week then if we can manage it! Appreciate the feedback from Strangle and Ide on this one. We'll improve our strategies for the future, thanks guys!

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:37 am

Just spam rockets through one and three while keeping an eye out for two. Also spam rockets at the elevator if someone's taking it.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:40 am

ZZYZX wrote: From my experience the best thing to do as map 13 def is not being a map 13 def and give this honorable duty to someone else :P
Quite literally the smartest post you ever ever made. Ever. Like fucking really.
I am being serious too
Last edited by Mobius on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 am

Yeah if you do any more guides like this, please do maps that are less played. There isn't a need for guides centering around maps like 4 and 31.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:44 am

I've actually wanted to start writing up map-specific guides at some point, so props to you for actually taking the initiative! Let me know if you want some input in any future map guides (I'm knowledgeable in all positions, but preferably D and Mid) and I'll be happy to help. Can't say I'm a fan of some of the design choices for this particular guide though. :P

For holding off enemies on defence, the vantage positions shown in the first picture are optimal for most situations. If you see somebody heading towards the lift, you can anticipate and intercept them no matter where you are in any of the upper platforms, as the travelling distance is short enough for you to catch up.

Probably the most troublesome situation as a defender is when the enemy has your flag and they're in the slime tunnel. From D's perspective, the best position to be in would be somewhere around here, as it allows you to deal with the flag carrier no matter if he goes back to the elevator or if you see him about to take the teleporter. If the flag carrier takes too long to make a move, it's important to leave Mid to chase the flag carrier from the teleporter while you chase them from the elevator, effectively cornering them.

Aside from this scenario, the rest of the map is fairly straightforward when it comes to defending: there are well-defined areas to guard your base's front entrances, the lift is easy enough to react to and keep in check, and the flag room's elevator actually puts the runner at a great disadvantage, since they can be spotted through the window beforehand, and the elevator itself is fairly small and slow, so runners are pretty much sitting ducks against rockets there.
Ru5tK1ng wrote: Yeah if you do any more guides like this, please do maps that are less played. There isn't a need for guides centering around maps like 4 and 31.
While I do agree that less played maps should definitely be given priority, I think there are people who could benefit from having guides regarding popular maps like the ones you mentioned. It'd be awesome if we could somehow cover all of the current 32 maps in a singular humongous guide.

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:29 pm

ZZYZX wrote: From my experience the best thing to do as map 13 def is not being a map 13 def and give this honorable duty to someone else :P
Actual guide on Map13 is to never pick it. If it gets picked, just be aggressive and push a lot. You get to see the path the enemy O took if he kills you.

The Mid usually helps the O with the gate on top or just frags the base.

That's about it. Oh and preserve the armor and Soulsphere for your own O. He's going to need it to get out of the enemy base with one long SR50 run.
Last edited by IdeIdoom on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Blitzkrieg
Banned

Post by Blitzkrieg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Zakken, I do completely agree that the tunnels are the hardest to deal with because they have quite a few options and if they can delay you, there's the possibility that their mid frags you and you lose the flag. But that's provided there's proper communication and a mid that is paying attention or that the D has come for the flag. But I digress...

Personally I follow the Ladna rule of keep your damn hands off the rocket launcher because it's painful to get tossed around by team mates when spawning, but I'd say since you're a lot better than me you wouldn't do that. Valid tactics, Galactus.

We always welcome further feedback, and plan on getting most if not all the maps covered in due time. Sorry about the poll options, I trolled myself by just typing random things and being unaware that I could not edit it after releasing them. What that means is, the option entailing 04 / 31 was really meant to encompass the need for us to cover other maps, not specifically just those. Bad wording, I know.

The next question is how thorough should it be? Should it cover basics of defense or should we move onto more advanced techniques, positions, and theory crafting? Or perhaps we should just cover the map as a whole from all positions?

We'll be shooting to have one on map13 by the same time this coming weekend. Let us know what your thoughts are!
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:06 pm

The next question is how thorough should it be? Should it cover basics of defense or should we move onto more advanced techniques, positions, and theory crafting? Or perhaps we should just cover the map as a whole from all positions?
Keeping any type of beginner guides on the basic level is the best way to continue on from this point. There is no need to dive into advanced theory and gameplay when players don't understand the basics (trying to run before you can crawl). If you plan to do guides for more maps, cover all 3 positions but stick to brief overviews of how each role plays out in each specific map. In order to avoid shooting yourself in the head, don't make Ladna or Hatred style guides where you get a dissertation rather than a guide. Not only will no one read those long, drawn out guides, but you will burn yourself out after covering 5 maps.

All the situation breakdowns are nice, but many of them are just that: situational. You can write out how many different scenarios can play out, but the best way to learn how to deal with those scenarios is to play and gain the experience of succeeding or failing. Plus, you don't want to tell too many of your secrets/strats.

The level of detail you have currently is a good amount and you should probably stick to it or lower it down a notch if you plan on doing O and Mid.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:36 pm

more hipster maps down with the terrible triad

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Blitzkrieg wrote: Personally I follow the Ladna rule of keep your damn hands off the rocket launcher because it's painful to get tossed around by team mates when spawning, but I'd say since you're a lot better than me you wouldn't do that. Valid tactics, Galactus.
Rockets are good for intercepting enemies who will follow a predictable path (like, for example, the lift in MAP14 and the upper corridor in MAP08) and of course, rocket jumping. They can be very efficient, especially in smaller areas, and the reason players advise others to stay away from a Rocket Launcher is that rookies will, more often than not, fire in directions where ALLIES will run towards, resulting in a multitude of catastrophic outcomes.

Also, looking forward to the MAP13 guide!