Votemap

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Votemap

Post by Mobius » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:47 am

So here's something I, and a few others, have been hit by recently by surprised when scrimming clans nowadays. It seems there's a wave of choice when deciding how to exactly vote a map in clan scrimmage. I recall back a few years ago the nominal vote parameters of choice was

Callvote map MAPxx

This resets everything to the console, loads the map up, everyone is restarted as spectators and those who were slated to join had to join ASAP in their proper team. It seems nowadays the preferred choice is changemap

Callvote changemap MAPxx

this forces the map into its intermission with the players on their assigned teams they previously on for the next map. This means that those who were on blue team last map will be on blue team next map without joining, and this has been throwing some of us off quite a bit especially when you have an entire team of random people joining. This kind of runs the risk of AFK players acting as dummy players or those not paying attention to run around acting like it's still the decision phase of a clan scrim (deciding on a map and positions).

So what exactly is the meta and benefit for either or and why is one preferred over the other? I, personally, like callvote map but it seems the new wave now is to optimize joining time by having the already assigned lineup run into the game just as it starts vs joining upon start and wasting only valuable milliseconds.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Votemap

Post by Ivan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:07 am

To be honest it doesn't even matter. Who cares if you joined a few seconds late? Big deal. You know what's worse? Teams not picking map for years. That's worse than this pet peeve of yours.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:59 am

It boils down to "map" being faster to type than "changemap"

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:22 am

Ivan wrote: To be honest it doesn't even matter. Who cares if you joined a few seconds late? Big deal. You know what's worse? Teams not picking map for years. That's worse than this pet peeve of yours.
You were one of the people complaining about changemap.. and the other point has nothing to do with the topic.
Catastrophe wrote: It boils down to "map" being faster to type than "changemap"
.. but a lot of clans are typing changemap instead of votemap hence the point of this thread.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:08 am

Don't forget people sometimes have trouble reconnecting after "map" (reconnecting to server...), "map" can stop demos from recording (happened to your clan!!!), and when it maybe happens too fast, the auth failure (such as in zdwars gamemode switch).

This is why callvote "changemap" is superior and I avoid callvote "map" on priv ctf like the plague

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:19 am

Mobius wrote:
.. but a lot of clans are typing changemap instead of votemap hence the point of this thread.
Ah my mistake, but yes Bob's post basically covers the main reason why people avoid doing changemap votes.

As for unintentionally being on a team after a map vote is called, well that's something either people will have to adjust to, or maybe a tracker ticket can be made that will allow players to join spectators during intermission.

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:30 am

Catastrophe wrote:
Mobius wrote:
Ah my mistake, but yes Bob's post basically covers the main reason why people avoid doing changemap votes.

As for unintentionally being on a team after a map vote is called, well that's something either people will have to adjust to, or maybe a tracker ticket can be made that will allow players to join spectators during intermission.
Typing spectate in the console during intermission allows you to spectate. I managed to do that recently.
Last edited by mifu on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:39 am

mifu wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:
Mobius wrote:

Typing spectate in the console during intermission allows you to spectate. I managed to do that recently.
Ayyy, problem solved then. People just need to adjust.

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:38 am

I didn't know "callvote changemap xx" existed to be honest, always done "callvote map xx" myself.

When I saw the title of the thread I was hoping it would be a post about map voting in pub, heh...

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:35 am

"callvote changemap" and changemap overall is preferred by religious people like Dragon. Who would even RCON that every time on euro priv or scrim. For whatever reason.
The only exception to this that I know, is when one team gets bored of waiting and calls changemap, giving the other team 15 seconds to finally set their positions and play. [R] is known to do this.

Everyone else still uses "callvote map" since it is faster to type in the console and faster to change, because it doesn't require everyone to click to continue.
The full reconnect, reloading of the map and rejoining the game takes less time than 10 seconds of intermission (like 4 seconds for reconnect and pressing space+enter).
The only real downside to callvote map is that it blocks certain laggers with packet loss from connecting after map change, but that's due to bad connect netcode.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.