Decay's Guide to Running Tournaments.

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Decay
Under Moderation

Decay's Guide to Running Tournaments.

Post by Decay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Tournaments on Skulltag (now ~Zandronum~) are generally a spectacular failure. See exhibits: SICL, CML, Mini-CTF, STDL, and countless other atrocious failures. Very few have actually been played all the way through properly.

Want to run a tournament with minimal hassle? This guide may help.

1: Establish a reputation

People need to know who the tournament organizer is for it to be successful. People who crop up out of the boonies aren't going to have a smooth ride because there is no respect for them. People who are respected or at least well known have a much better chance of people following their lead and rules. This means be on IRC, participate on the forums, and especially be active in-game.

2: Play on a stable version of ST/ZA

Choosing to play on betas is foolhardy at best. Many people manage to royally get messed up on playing betas. Save yourself the hassle and choose the stable version everybody has.

3: Start small

Alexmax ran some small weekend tournaments a while back, STTDML had only 2 divisions of 4 teams of 2, and my first couple msduel tournaments were small too. All of these were successful because they required minimal commitment and did not drag on forever. Successfully running tournaments will establish you as a good tournament admin, earn previously mentioned respect, and you can aim larger next time.

Lately the IDL has been running duel tournaments that are announced spontaneously and requires only 8 people. These are pretty successful, and very fun. I recommend trying these. Talk to Rustking for advice on that.

4: Find a dedicated playerbase, and nag the players

Dedicated players will determine whether or not the tournament will succeed. Be suspicious of people who you've never seen on IRC, because that means it will be harder for them to set up a time schedule. Reminding people to get their games done is also very important, otherwise people forget to play and eventually just don't. Constant reminders keeps it fresh until completion.

5: Establish a server host before you do ANYTHING.

Seriously, this is the biggest thing right here. Make sure you can get an established host before you even consider announcing a tournament, and make sure you have all the right flags. The best host for zandronum tournaments is Best Ever. Familiarize yourself with the rules and procedures of this cluster, found here:

http://[bad site]/
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=713

6: Clarify the target audience.

If primarily Continental American people sign up for a league, then most of the servers should be in America. This also goes for Euros. Nobody likes server hopping if they don't have to, so if a league is mostly comprised of one or the other, the minority should cater to the majority. That being said, don't sign up if you know you can't make reasonable times.

7: Talk to players about the tournament before announcing it.

Try to garner some support in advance. It will help things move faster. It also helps gauge whether or not it is worth running at all.

8: Get a rule set figured out in advance

Don't announce a tournament and then flounder around arms flailing because you don't have a rule set and/or tournament progression set. Be prepared. You're the admin.

9: Try to run it on dates people will be around.

Holidays are generally a bad idea. Summer holidays and work make it hard too. Talk to the players to get a general feel for their work and holiday plans so you aren't left high and dry when someone "randomly" drops out.

10: Pick a wad that people know, and pick a stable version of it, and stick to it.

Again, this is a matter of preparation. You need to find the right wad for the job, meaning one that isn't buggy or unbalanced, or easily broken. One that caters to a wide audience. They can be less known, or more known, but for a new tournament runner, in general it's better to go with what has been proven.

Good luck to those who want to run a tournament here. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Hopefully this guide will help you.
Last edited by Decay on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qent
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Decay's Guide to Running Tournaments.

Post by Qent » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Decay wrote:The best hosts for ZA arguably would be NJ, GV, and Node-3.

Node-3 has been dead for some time now.

Decay
Under Moderation

Post by Decay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Sums up how updated I am when it comes to playing online! Updated.

TerminusEst13
Contributor

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:21 pm

People need to know who the tournament organizer is for it to be successful. People who crop up out of the boonies aren't going to have a smooth ride because there is no respect for them. People who are respected or at least well known have a much better chance of people following their lead and rules.

I don't think tournaments should be about "You must be at least THIS internet popular to host".
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Decay
Under Moderation

Post by Decay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Doesn't matter what it should or should not be, that's just how it is. 99% of the time a well established player will have a smoother run tournament than someone nobody knows.

I'm not saying "do this or guaranteed failure," I'm offering a host of suggestions that may make it easier to run something.

Springy
Forum Regular

Post by Springy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:30 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote:

People need to know who the tournament organizer is for it to be successful. People who crop up out of the boonies aren't going to have a smooth ride because there is no respect for them. People who are respected or at least well known have a much better chance of people following their lead and rules.

I don't think tournaments should be about "You must be at least THIS internet popular to host".

I do agree with you but I think he's saying it's more of an advantage to have a reputation in the competitive area of the Doom community, which I think is correct personally. People are more than likely to follow rules and take part in events if it is hosted by a well known user, by that I mean: someone who has been known to host tournament like events successfully.
[quote=Zero X Diamond ]Careful, you don't want to push that Pikachu dude to action. Who knows what unspeakable things lie in store for you? Maybe he'll... send you another nasty tweet![/quote]
[quote=Sonter_Man]Autism runs amok on zandaemon[/quote]

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 am

Sticky for greatness.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day