CompetBOT - A small guide

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Ch0wW
Forum Regular
Clan: BaseQ
Clan Tag: [BaseQ]

CompetBOT - A small guide

Post by Ch0wW » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:23 pm

(Latest Update: 07/06/2015)

Y0 everyone!

Since some of the players have noticed on some of their clan channels someone called [CTF]CompetBOT all in a sudden, but doesn't understand the goal of it (or banned it instantly without asking questions), or even asking to themselves how it works, I decided to create a thread to make it easier for the future uses of it.

1) What is CompetBOT?
- CompetBOT is, as its name implies, is a bot that has been created to help people to organize games on Zandronum, either Private CTF, or announce events.

- It is also used to create your account for the BaseQ.fr servers for the ones that require a login to join the server.

- Finally, it'll be a tool to promote actual tournaments or upcoming tournaments that will be created by the community. That feature is yet to be created, but it's already on the works.

2) How to make the bot join your ZandIRC (Zandronum's IRC) Channel?
- In order to add the bot to your IRC Channel, simply ask to Ch0wW. The only requirement is that your channel must be made for competitive goals.

3) How to start a private CTF?
- If you want to start a Private CTF, you first need to get logged through ChanServ. PM the bot, or write on a channel where the bot is this command:

Code: Select all

!private 

ARGUMENTS:
* [none] : Choose a server from any region
* 1 / E / EU / EUR / EURO / EUROPE / EUROPEAN : Choose from an european server.
* 2 / U / US / USA / AMERICA / AMERICAN : Choose from an american server.
EXAMPLE:
!private EU
[/code]

People wanting to join, must write this command:

!addprivate
Once 6 players are there, a server will be randomly chosen between this list with the description of how to join in (will change in the future):

- BaseQ.fr
- Grandvoid UK
- Grandvoid FR
- NJ FunCrusher
- DE Funcrusher
- BestEver
4) How do I get an account for our servers?
- You need to get logged in on ChanServ, and PM CompetBOT this command:

!register <password>
That's all to do!
(!pctf_register also works)

BY THE WAY. The passwordlist will be refreshed after each map change, so please be patient. Or, ask Ch0wW to instantly refresh the list.

5) How to be notified when a private starts?
Simply message CompetBOT using the !suscribe command:

!suscribe add
Each time a CTF is starting, a PM will be given to you.

To remove your account & nickname from the list, use this command instead:

!suscribe remove
7) How to see stats?
You have 2 ways of getting your stats:
-> by writing !stats [your CTF Account name].
-> by visiting http://dl.baseq.fr/doom/stats .

8) How to retrieve your account/password?
- Simply PM CompetBOT, and type this command:

!remember
(!pctf_remember also works)

If you have questions, you can now ask o/ . Peace!
Last edited by Ch0wW on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow BaseQ! --> • BaseQ.frYouTubeBaseQ's FB pageTwitter

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

RE: CompetBOT - A small guide

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm

(or banned it instantly without asking questions)
Banned it from my channel for spamming up the channel with notifications/didn't want any potential logging bot.

Neat idea I suppose.
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Oxyde
New User

Post by Oxyde » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Very good stuff Chow! Please also note that the bot is still in development, which means it can potentially crash anytime. If this happens, let us know, we will restart
Ru5tK1ng wrote: Banned it from my channel for spamming up the channel with notifications/didn't want any potential logging bot.
Aaaaaaaaand, congratulations!
Not a single f-word is given to what happens on your channel, the purpose of this bot is to help start private CTF games. You're in a clan and not interested in private games at all? Great sportsmanship! You're afraid of the bot logging the convos? It wasn't developped by Google actually!

----------------------

If you folks think of any feature that could enhance the bot functionnality, please share your thoughts on #BaseQ! Also, incoming soon enough, the bot should be able to log victories and losses (only on the BaseQ servers though).

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Oxyde wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote: Banned it from my channel for spamming up the channel with notifications/didn't want any potential logging bot.
Not a single f-word is given to what happens on your channel, the purpose of this bot is to help start private CTF games. You're in a clan and not interested in private games at all? Great sportsmanship! You're afraid of the bot logging the convos? It wasn't developped by Google actually!
Not a single 'f-word' is given to your bot either, apparently. I don't want to be highlighted every time a person wants to play ctf and every time someone else joins that server, simple. It's a cool thing that you guys are doing this and I praise you on it, just don't act retarded about it.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Yeah just because somebody doesn't want to use this doesn't mean they don't care about priv.

Don't act as if your bot is going to be the savior of competitive Doom. It's a cool little tool but IMO ops can ban it from their channel like other bots if they please.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Oxyde
New User

Post by Oxyde » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Sorry if I sounded agressive or "retarded" to quote somebody, that was not the intent. I am totally fine with people who don't want the bot in their channel, or who don't even want to use it; But really? Being affraid of a simple private CTF notification tool because he could potentially be Big Brother? You're joking!

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:14 pm

I like this bot because now I can see when people want priv (and who wants it).

I would condense the msg into one line though.
Last edited by Watermelon on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Absolute Zero

Post by Absolute Zero » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:36 pm

It should only highlight the players who are going to participate once the teams are set. Definitely a good tool, and I suggest teaming up with the #zandronum admins to set a few standards so it can idle in that channel (making it *finally* useful, too), rather than the clan's channels.

Also, you can learn something in #warsow.pickup @ irc.quakenet.org.
Last edited by Absolute Zero on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMPLEMENT WEAPON PICKUP PREDICTION 2K14! VOTE NOW! YES/YES

In fact, I hate Kelvins, and humans too, because they are carrying nearly 300 of them EVERYWHERE!

FateLord
Forum Regular

Post by FateLord » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:59 pm

It would be nice to have for TDM but it's rarely played these days, duel would be best.
<Sean> .broadcast FateLord has a massive, hard wallhack
<Exciter> Global broadcast sent.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:44 pm

You're not very bright are you?

The reason why I deemed your precious bot unwanted was because it joined my clan's channel out of the blue long before this thread was created. None of the channel ops knew anything about it and we certainlly did not know who brought it to our channel. Since the bot's creator didn't bother to say anything, I threw it out of the channel. Simple as that.

Not that I need to justify anything to you, but I will have you know that I'm a priv regular on NJ and I hop on GV to play Euro Priv on the weekends as well. If I didn't care about priv or compet at all, I wouldn't be NJ admin. I like priv and I'm content with people highlighting in me #priv or someone telling me on TS to join up.
But really? Being affraid of a simple private CTF notification tool because he could potentially be Big Brother? You're joking!
Actually when I attempted to register with the bot, my AV flagged the session as 'Malicious Traffic'. Needless to say, I closed the PM window. :cool:

I respect your efforts to make priv's startup easier and more organized, but don't get upset just because a few of us don't want to deal with any priv bot.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Ch0wW
Forum Regular

Post by Ch0wW » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:59 pm

Absolute Zero wrote: It should only highlight the players who are going to participate once the teams are set.
Actually, once enough players are there (minimum 6), the bot is PMing every player who "suscribed" to the private CTF. That might reduce a little the "spam" amount, a true problem that I'm actually concerned.
Absolute Zero wrote: Definitely a good tool, and I suggest teaming up with the #zandronum admins to set a few standards so it can idle in that channel (making it *finally* useful, too), rather than the clan's channels.

Also, you can learn something in #warsow.pickup @ irc.quakenet.org.
I prefer to keep it at the #baseq channel rather than on #zandronum, EVEN THOUGH I'm working on some commands that will automatically idle to a channel without the need to modify its CFG.
(Speaking of W§W, you make me remember to start again the 2 servers + pickup I was hosting at the time ; the system I'm doing for the pickup bot was based on QW's one.)

Finally, Ru5tK1ng, even if I felt your answer being a little cold, don't worry about the bot. Even though I can understand for the spam purposes (and I'm trying to limit that to 99%, the 1% left is for possible match announcements, or upcoming tournaments), I'm not logging anything but the stats people are having on the BaseQ private servers (ie, those statistics):

- Frags
- Deaths
- Flag Captures
- Flag Assists
- CTF Wins
- CTF Losses
- CTF Draws

>>TOADD:
- Duel Wins
- Duel losses
Of course, I can add a little more features, please tell me what I could add.

Speaking of development, I noticed that some people had problems with mail formatting. So I fixed it, and I added a little more clarty for new persons who are going or want to register. (Thanks AlienOverlord btw for pointing me this out, I wouldn't even notice it!) ; and I'm going to update the 1st message once new features are present.
Last edited by Ch0wW on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ch0wW
Forum Regular

Post by Ch0wW » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Thread updated for the newest version of CompetBOT.

You can register easily now, by specifying your own password!
And other various updates and fancy things.