Simple four-clan scrim royale idea

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Tenchu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: LF

Simple four-clan scrim royale idea

Post by Tenchu » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:54 am

So here's an idea that could help stir up the clan scene that I think is easily doable if everyone hears me out and reads the proposal through. First and foremost, it'd be a simple tournament with one-time games. No league, no long-term commitments, none of that. It'd be a simple and easy way for some active clans to engage in some greater clan activity. Here's the idea:

Concept: Four clans sign up to participate in a single, one-time three-game session with each of the other three participating clans as part of an overall single collective six-game inter-clan scrim in the form of a "scrim royale." (This idea can be used effectively with four or six clans, though four would be strongly encouraged for any possible trial run.)

Timeframe: There would be no scheduled 'weeks' or designated timeslots for any games. There would be no timeframe to wait and earn records, clans would get their three scrims in as soon as possible, and scrim just as they normally would. Except that when participating in this tournament, those three designated games are more than just ordinary scrim games. They're apart of a greater overall continuing inter-clan scrim for a true clan scrim royale.

Format: Each clan will play every other clan in the tournament one time, in a series of 3v3 or 4v4 CTF games using the IDL wad. Each clan scrim for this tournament will consist of three games each, a hard three regardless of who wins the first two games, this would not not be a best-of-three system. The games will use the A/B/C format (see below). In regards to player format, the two clans will agree on 3v3 or 4v4 before each map/round after the map is announced.

Maps: The two clans will agree on the first map and then the loser of the first game will pick the map for the second round, and the winner of the first game will pick the map for the final game. All three games must be played all at once back-to-back once it's officially decided what game one will be.

Objective: The scrim tournament will be based around victory points, which clans have the chance to earn every single game. Each of the three games in every scrim for the tournament is worth one potential victory point, where the winning clan of the game wins the victory point. So in every scrim for this tournament, each clan has the potential to earn up to three victory points. The idea is fairly traditional and obvious - to earn as any victory points as possible. After you get all three of your scrims in, all you'd need to do is sit back and relax while you watch how the rest of the clans are doing, after all this is designed to be an ASAP-type tournament and should be considered as an active scrim for all participating clans.

The distribution of victory points within the clan pool could be interesting and could possibly serve as a viable method for determining active clan standings with hard numbers in an organized scrim-oriented fashion rather than random no-form scrim results that are subject to bias due to the informal conditions on which the scrim was formed or played on. The more victory points a clan has, the more saturated their win-ratio is overall with a multitude of clans, rather than attempting to assess the level between two clans via unorganized conidition-specific scrim results.

Victory points are a neutral scoring system that can be used to indicate the skill level of a clan by allowing them to see how well they did/are doing in comparison to their peers. For example, a clan could theoretically earn 0 victory points by losing all three games in all three of their scrims, meanwhile one of the other clans also lost all three of their scrims, however they managed to win one game in every scrim. So even though they lost all of their overall scrims just as the team who didn't win any games did, they at least did so with a 1-2 average as opposed to an 0-3 average, which is a very large difference and would show that having even a 3 victory point differential would be a significant difference.

To sort of illustrate how the game system would work, each clan would play the three other clans in a three-game fashion for a total of nine games, or a total of nine possibly victory points. Clan A for example would have the following games against clans B, C and D:

A vs B = AvB / AvB / AvB = 3 Points Max
A vs C = AvC / AvC / AvC = 3 Points Max
A vs D = AvD / AvD / AvD = 3 Points Max

So a single clan can earn a maximum of 9 victory points, which if were to happen, they'd be taking away 3 potential victory points from every other clan by not losing to them and giving them the victory points all three times, meaning the next best any of the other clans could do is 6 victory points, which even then would require beating both other clans 3-0 each. A different way of putting it is to imagine two clans in the tournament who are very close in skill. Say in their particular scrim, clan A won two games and clan B won one game. Clan A did better in that particular scrim against clan B directly, but had some serious trouble against clan C in which they lost all three and also had trouble with clan D in which they lost two but managed to win one at least. Now clan B had much better of a time with clans C and D, only having lost one game between the two scrims. So clan B, even though lost to clan A directly, still heavily outplayed their mutual competition by earning a total of six victory points, compared to clan A's three victory points. So the higher the victory points, the more serious the clan generally.

The beauty of this idea is that one clan getting all three of their scrims done is already taking care of half the tournament, only leaving three more to be played at all. If clan A completed all their scrims as seen in the chart above, only the following scrims would be needed to be played (if they hadn't already) in order to end the tournament:

B vs C
B vs D
C vs D

NOTE THIS IS NOT A LEAGUE, SIMPLY A TOURNAMENT WITH SIMPLE SINGLE-TIME SCRIMS. NOTHING MORE.

If support for the idea was great enough, I feel that the timelimit/flag format for the games should be decided by more than just one person. The way I see it, for this kind of tournament, the following three formats are the most fitting:

A) Games will have no timelimit, meaning each game will be ground out to the very max until one clan gets all five flag caps needed to end it regardless of how long it takes.

B) Games will have a 10-minute timelimit with sudden death disabled meaning ties would occur and any tie games would have to be re-played until a winner for that map was determined.

C) Games will have a 10-minute timelimit with sudden death enabled meaning tie games at the 10-minute mark would go into overtime in which the next flag capture ends the game.

Thoughts? Ideas? Critiques? Personally I think we have more than four active enough clans for this to work, and with no deadlines I like that it can serve as both an on-going active scrim and also be a representation of bias-proof clan standings.
Last edited by Tenchu on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[22:42:21] [@SkullRush] ok guys today was one of the worst days of my life i spent p much 18 hours in my pc watching hentai and played doom with huge lag i guess i shiould go to bed now
[22:42:26] [@SkullRush] if i dont suicide, see you guys tomorrow
[22:42:29] [@SkullRush] bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb^_^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[22:43:02] • Quit: (SkullRush) (~SkullRush@SkullRush.users.zandronum.com) ("Quitting")
[22:43:40] [+Jenova] wow
[22:43:47] [+Jenova] ur avg zandronum player ladies and gentlemen

Alpha_
Forum Regular

RE: Simple four-clan scrim royale idea

Post by Alpha_ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 pm

10 minutes with sudden death disable, and this looks interesting.
I would like to see another 3/4 way ctf scrim tho.
Rest In Peace Brother Aaron 1994-2017

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Thoughts on 3v3 only and 10 minutes?

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Watermelon wrote: Thoughts on 3v3 only and 10 minutes?
Please.

I think 15 minute games or, god forbid, no timelimit games, would make it much worse

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Watermelon wrote: Thoughts on 3v3 only and 10 minutes?
I second this.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 am

Anything more sounds like insanity

Stall

Post by Stall » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:33 pm