State of the Union address (what really went wrong with competition)

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Luke
Forum Regular

RE: State of the Union address (what really went wrong with competition)

Post by Luke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Samurai wrote: On a positive spin, pub ctf activity has increased a lot over the last couple of weeks.
Regarding to CTF, pub and private, I'd say that would be much better (reads would help very much to increase the popularity of the private/competitive CTF) if the private CTF servers were accessible by everyone instead of requiring a password to even only join the server, and required an in-game password to enter the game.
I remember during the last years of the Skulltag era, when I left ZDaemon and made my forum account, the private CTF was set up in this way. I may remember wrong, anyway I think that this would help the popularity of the mentioned game modes greatly.
Many users "can't be bothered with joining the irc to ask a password" or they don't even know they can get it easily, but they see a private server and go like "oh well I can't play there". I'm sure of this because I thought both things myself in the past, hence there must be, at least few, other people who think the same.

I've no idea about how the server's administration intends to handle this, but I strongly encourage them to shift the password from access to the server to the access to the game, or at least to host another private server accessible by anyone where the password is an in-game password, and the server's RCON is held by multiple people so that it's easy to keep that password changing without overcharging the server's administration with a continuous work of monitoring and handling of the servers' status. People with said RCON access would be forced to use it only to change the access password when needed (unless they already have the RCON to that server's chuck), eventual RCON abuses would be fast to punish simply looking at the log.

:rolleyes: Thoughts? :rolleyes:

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:58 pm

I will give my quarter penny before I do some other, kind of important things:

@Shane, your post make me feel blind, though I agree with Jenova that it is pointless to rant about mod clans, though I think it is just as pointless for those clans to forebid multiclanning into a competetive clan. (I have heard of this, though I haven't asked the clan leaders, so do not hang me up on it)

@Ivan, I do not think everyone would like to have past mistakes thrown into the face all the time, though I think it would pretty good if it was the last x days statistics or similar.
Oh, and about someone doing something to make it more attractive to play doom: Do not ask others to do shit, do it yourself, you got the knowledge on how when you make suc ha statement, correct?

@All who talk competition: I think that the up and downgoing of competition is just happening like Cyber said.
I think that it would be cool with holiday competitions though, but I think to make them actually special they need some special content to resemble the holidays, such as haloween got special haloween maps and decorations, maybe even some different weapon sprites for the occation, a few other games follow this behaviour to keep the players interest.
I think that some larger official tournaments (like, really big events) should have some kind of special reward to it, lets say Shane (yes, you over there) won tournament x, he get some prize for his forum account. These awards could be pretty much anything, it could be a special note on his user page, so when people go in and look at his page they can read that he have won the 1st place in the x tournament. (example, I do not suggest that this is the ONE AND ONLY SOLUTION CUZ I SAID SO)

@Shane & Ivan (about LoL mod for doom), I think it could be a pretty funny expiriment really, I can imagine that it could become pretty interesting actually. I am no LoL player myself, but I do hella much llike the idea '^.^.
The big thing with this would be to balance it really, and make sure that two people can not choose the same class, as this do not happen in LoL as far as I at least know.

Seems like this became a bit more than a quarter penny, but I will tend to other things now, have a good day/night everyone.
(P.S. I did not want to either annoy anyone or piss anyone off with this post, as I started with, I just wanted to share my quarter penny about this topic.)

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:51 am

Shane wrote:So to sum this all up, we don't need competition; competition needs you
it came back

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:24 am

Swift, he means priv CTF not pub. There has been pub everyday for the past month now.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Catastrophe wrote: Swift, he means priv CTF not pub. There has been pub everyday for the past month now.
That's still a good thing, though.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Pub ctf is where potential priv players are going to start out anyway, so yes it is a good thing

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:11 am

I actually do mean pub ctf as well, it's a generalized thread towards competition as a whole

and yeah I am glad to see more pub, I'm trying to do my part with getting people to join #rexnay and perform announcements/highlights for pub ctf

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:43 pm

#rexnay? Why not call it #pub or something?

Shane
Forum Regular

Post by Shane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 pm

because it expands outside of just public ctf, any type of public competitive is welcomed

plus I hate bland names

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Shane wrote: because it expands outside of just public ctf, any type of public competitive is welcomed

plus I hate bland names
I also hate complicated or meaningless names. There is no way you can derive public ctf or any public match from #rexnay. What is the point in this?
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

mr fiat

Post by mr fiat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Ivan wrote:
Shane wrote: because it expands outside of just public ctf, any type of public competitive is welcomed

plus I hate bland names
I also hate complicated or meaningless names. There is no way you can derive public ctf or any public match from #rexnay. What is the point in this?
id like to know what rexnay even stands for?

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm

#pub would be a much better choice in my opinion, Shane.
#pub or anything else which is very short and very easy to remember as #pub is.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Shane wrote: plus I hate bland names
I guess you must hate your user name D:

#rexnay is a pretty terrible name but the it doesn't matter as long as there's a way for people to know what it's all about.

+1 vote for #bup

Fluffles
Forum Regular

Post by Fluffles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Ivan wrote:
Fluffles wrote: A simple ELO tracking ranking system will likely help popularity, would keep people determined to get better :)
ELO for FPS doesn't make sense to be honest. It should be something unrelated, and even if related should be renamed. This isn't a game of pure strategy.
http://qlranks.com/ keeps QL pretty much alive and booming on a daily basis. The zdaemon exp system keeps people playing FFA, everyone loves stats and recording. I wouldn't expect a system like qlranks for doom as it is abit complicated but even if it just recorded ratings for dueling/ctf that'd keep alot of players consistently playing.

If the competitive multiplayer community is gunna keep going I'm pretty certain that's the solution.
Last edited by Fluffles on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Fluffles wrote:
Ivan wrote:
Fluffles wrote: A simple ELO tracking ranking system will likely help popularity, would keep people determined to get better :)
ELO for FPS doesn't make sense to be honest. It should be something unrelated, and even if related should be renamed. This isn't a game of pure strategy.
http://qlranks.com/ keeps QL pretty much alive and booming on a daily basis. The zdaemon exp system keeps people playing FFA, everyone loves stats and recording. I wouldn't expect a system like qlranks for doom as it is abit complicated but even if it just recorded ratings for dueling/ctf that'd keep alot of players consistently playing.

If the competitive multiplayer community is gunna keep going I'm pretty certain that's the solution.
Cooler is only 48th in the world? Seems inaccurate.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:13 pm

I do not like stats and recording, mainly because I hate when something tells me "HAHAHA YOU FUCKING BANANER, YOU LOST TWO WEEKS AGO, NOW EVERYONE CAN LAUGH AT YOU HAHAHA", at least that is the only expirience I have had of stats and recordings, and it is even worse if they are all time stats, then a loss will be there forever and you will never be able to remove it.
I think that stats might be cooler for me if they are based on more than just a won/lost match, because you can be the top lead of the match but loose anyway because the rest of your team is suicidal.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Lollipop wrote: I do not like stats and recording, mainly because I hate when something tells me "HAHAHA YOU FUCKING BANANER, YOU LOST TWO WEEKS AGO, NOW EVERYONE CAN LAUGH AT YOU HAHAHA", at least that is the only expirience I have had of stats and recordings, and it is even worse if they are all time stats, then a loss will be there forever and you will never be able to remove it.
I think that stats might be cooler for me if they are based on more than just a won/lost match, because you can be the top lead of the match but loose anyway because the rest of your team is suicidal.
More for duel really I'd say, that's the only way an Elo could work anyway.

Shane
Forum Regular

Post by Shane » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:34 pm

[quote="Ru5tk1ng"]I guess you must hate your user name D:

#rexnay is a pretty terrible name but the it doesn't matter as long as there's a way for people to know what it's all about.

+1 vote for #bup[/quote]

you have no idea... Just how right you are, and no one will ever be satisfied with any other name I pick

Rexnay means nothing, I made it up, just like a majority of names I come up with. I don't know it's just what I do, it's merely a channel name I didn't really want it to be dull

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Lollipop wrote: I do not like stats and recording, mainly because I hate when something tells me "HAHAHA YOU FUCKING BANANER, YOU LOST TWO WEEKS AGO, NOW EVERYONE CAN LAUGH AT YOU HAHAHA", at least that is the only expirience I have had of stats and recordings, and it is even worse if they are all time stats, then a loss will be there forever and you will never be able to remove it.
This is easily remedied by having certain servers 'rank' the duel matches or CTFgames. This keeps out players who don't want to play competitively or seriously and it creates a place for those who want to have their stats tracked.

Its worth noting that if a little smack talk gets to you, you probably should stick to gvh or something. The sometimes rough world of competition may not be for you.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:11 am

I have no problem with people talking, but I think that being slappe´d all the time with incorrectable padt mistakes is just not the way to go, specially as it wont attract newbies either.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there