State of the Union address (what really went wrong with competition)

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Spottswoode
Forum Regular

RE: State of the Union address (what really went wrong with competition)

Post by Spottswoode » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Before I go any further I have an admission: I am not a regular competitive player. So take anything I say henceforth on this subject however you wish.
From my analysis thus far on the content of this thread and various games, there are basically four types of players:
1. Sandbox players - Players or trolls, in some cases, that aren't interested in competition and are only interested in the fun they can get out of games.
2. Casual player - Players who are mostly interested in having fun and may compete if they are interested. More interested in new content than old school.
3. Regular Player - Players who are more interested in competition oriented games and game modes than necessarily having fun.
4. Dedicated Player - Players dedicated solely to competitive playing. For this player, winning and having fun are usually one and the same.

Given my above analysis, I'd say that the problems you guys are experiencing, in concordance with Razgriz's analysis (Stole the words right out of my mouth), you guys are frustrated when type 1 and 2 creep into your more competitive enviroments. When they fail hard (and they do) you guys rage on them, which turns them off from the competitive sphere within the port. But let's be honest, we need these guys to continue the port. If we can keep these guys in a semi competitive enviroment and pick them up for clan competitions or another more serious competition it would help spur growth in the competitive arena.
So, In order to settle all parties involved, I suggest that you guys have 3 different divisions for competitions: Casual, Regular, and Pro.
-Casual should be loosely competitive with a focus on generating and testing new content and ideas to draw new players into the competitive scene. Crazy ideas and Sunday Night Shenanigans have a good place here.
-Regular competitions should be more competitively focused, but willing to test new types of play and mods. It should balance new content and competitive focus. Special seasonal and holiday events have a place here.
-Pro competitions should be no frills just kills. Mods and addon content should be scarce here or the focus of the competition. (e.g. GVH tourney or what have you) It would probably be best if there was a season for pro pvp (one for every game type that recurs every year makes sense to me) that has a ladder and an elimination tournament. This is by default the most serious of the competitive enviroments.

As to drawing in serious competition, the title idea is a good start (I'd go for badges personally but either works) but it would be awesome if the winners of tournaments had a hall of fame. A hall of fame stock map that's updated every year with their pictures (avatar pictures) on paintings on the walls would immortalize them.
Edit: There should be more competition with the Raven Iwads as well. I'd be willing to play Heretic and Hexen PVP competitively. I can't be the only one.
Last edited by Spottswoode on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.