Possible solution to the clan scene's decline

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Impact
Forum Regular

RE: Possible solution to the clan scene's decline

Post by Impact » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Cruduxy wrote: Force players into random teams and have them pick their captain.. If someone refuses they can go out with that attitude :P
Yeah if they're just being whiny and "errmahgerd i dun wanna play with them" then I can't see the incentive to put my time in to sort them out. If there's a legitimate reason (you think teams are stacked, one team has a much higher average ping) then that's what could be put into consideration.
Catastrophe wrote: Sorry, won't work. Stuff like this has been attempted more times than I can remember. It just never works.

It goes like this first week everyone has the drive for it, but as the weeks go by people get irritated and don't wanna play anymore.
That's what I fear the most: the loss in popularity. But we'll never know if we don't try, and if we structure and plan it well beforehand then people can play the events in confidence that everything will be fair and functional. This sort of event is what I reckon may bring more people's attention from ZDaemon and Odamex to come and try Zandronum if they haven't already, and maybe even people from other games such as Quake.
Tor-Bjorn wrote: Impact I found the link to the old thread. Looking back it wasn't as elaborate as I had recalled it to be. But the idea was cool.
Here's the link to the old thread.

in reply to the rest of your post, I agree with it completely. Having the skills split into other servers would definitely be an excellent idea. But like you said - we'll need the sign ups for that.
I see what you mean there, the same idea but not as organised as what we're thinking of. It seemed popular as an idea back then and this should be too, which will probably lead to many people at least trying this out.
Thanks! :happyface:
RedShirt wrote: I definitely support this idea and would be more than willing to help out if you do get things up and running. As Tor said, we had a similar idea months ago, we could throw ideas back and forth if you like.
Thanks for supporting this, and that would be great :smile: Maybe we should get an IRC Channel set up sometime if we start thinking about this seriously? (When we've settled on a name, of course :v)
[spoiler]<N>Devon - <N>Impact - Dr Fetus[/spoiler]

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:15 pm

But we'll never know if we don't try
That's what I'm saying, it has been tried... Many times. But I'm not stopping you, by all means go for it. But remember what I said.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I say go for it too, and I might even partake if it isn't too late in the evening, got school and stuff, actually the only thing keeping me from the other events is that they are so late in the evening that I sleep way before it starts.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Impact
Forum Regular

Post by Impact » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Catastrophe wrote:
But we'll never know if we don't try
That's what I'm saying, it has been tried... Many times. But I'm not stopping you, by all means go for it. But remember what I said.
I can see your point, but I still think with more depth in organizing and focus on gaining popularity and players to sign up (essentially targets we're aiming to achieve), this may work :happyface:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!
now fix boss12 on super demon
Lollipop wrote: I say go for it too, and I might even partake if it isn't too late in the evening, got school and stuff, actually the only thing keeping me from the other events is that they are so late in the evening that I sleep way before it starts.
This is a problem that we could get around. Remember the Thursday was only an example because Fridays are taken up for FNF (so there will be very few players available), same with Saturdays and SNS and Sundays and SunS. We could possibly do it in the early afternoon GMT on a weekend, and maybe even have an american server at a later time so no one misses out, but then there will be fewer signups for each event as there would be two sharing one player pool.

We're still working on the idea, don't lose hope! :smile:

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 am

If you want help organizing this, ask Dragon, Nati or, maybe, myself for some pointers and direction. I am sure we will help you if needed.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Impact
Forum Regular

Post by Impact » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:06 pm

We now have an IRC Channel, #TNT!

Please pop in and ask any questions.

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:40 pm

tl;dr version

Problem:
"clan scene's decline"

Solution:
Make yet another irc channel for people to join...

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:26 am

Decay wrote: This won't do anything.

Also, you should probably know that clans often face periods of inactivity particularly around this time of year. Lulls are commonplace, and something will always fire up again, but I guess that your lack of experience in these matters is the issue there. Hell, I can barely speak to these issues, I've only been around since 2009, but there are many more longer term members who would probably say the same thing though. But there is no real "decline" in the sense clans won't crop up again. It's called school and work getting in the way.
Decay's right. This won't do anything, plus college and work are around the corner for a lotta people. Might as well just put it to rest now before this 'try' becomes a failure.
Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 am

A lot of the Doom Community's members are a lot older now, and have either moved on, have work/college/university, or have other life issues to deal with. That can really hurt the amount of activity in the clan scene, and competitive scene in general. Some people also lose interest or become jaded when it comes to clan stuff, due to past drama and whatnot as well.

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:25 am

For the good of Doom there should be only one port... but this post is pointless.. everyone knows it and the thing will never happen.
Last edited by Luke on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Luke wrote: For the good of Doom there should be only one port... but this post is pointless.. everyone knows it and the thing will never happen.
ZDeamon is mainly pub now, [The rocket spamming constant blocking, with everyone speaking a different language in an american server kind]
Plus I don't think 4.5 players from odamex will help much
DontHitMe[/size]
Last edited by Slyfox on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.