Duel Rating System

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.

Would you like a duel rating system?

Total votes: 0

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Duel Rating System

Post by one_Two » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Cruduxy wrote: Didn't they ban for disconnecting mid-games all the time instead of lowering scores?
Although I dunno that is probably dotalicious not LoL
Well I was thinking more of genuine connection problems, you can't really tell if a disconnect is genuine or not.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm

one_Two wrote:
Cruduxy wrote: Didn't they ban for disconnecting mid-games all the time instead of lowering scores?
Although I dunno that is probably dotalicious not LoL
Well I was thinking more of genuine connection problems, you can't really tell if a disconnect is genuine or not.
I just remember them having very harsh rules against getting out of a game once its started.. even saying don't play if you don't have at least an hour of free time :razz:
Last edited by Cruduxy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Cyber'
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: The Professionals
Clan Tag: <PRO>

Post by Cyber' » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 am

How would the scoring system work? Would it be something like a rating point per frag? And if so how many points would a win give?
I'm curious about this.
Projects completed : PROCTF, Jump Maze, Tricky ST. RJX.Jump Maze X
Newest Project : Nothing at present.

Jumpmaze X post is here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9981&p=115929#p115929
I always love these calm moments before the storm...

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:15 am

Cyber wrote: How would the scoring system work? Would it be something like a rating point per frag? And if so how many points would a win give?
I'm curious about this.
Water told me he was doing a form of ELO system so you get a rating dependant on a win or a loss, regardles of frags.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:15 am

Finally it will be feasible to beat good players in duel, you gain more elo depending on their elo respective to yours. I like the idea.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:08 am

I would agree to it, if the stats would be reset for every year. Because for ZDaemon's case: The top10 hasn't changed since 2004.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:26 am

Reach Term wrote: I would agree to it, if the stats would be reset for every year. Because for ZDaemon's case: The top10 hasn't changed since 2004.
And then Doom is suddenly League of Legends. Hahaha. But I agree with this no matter what :P
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Reach Term wrote: I would agree to it, if the stats would be reset for every year. Because for ZDaemon's case: The top10 hasn't changed since 2004.
But with this system if you are the at the top you have to play games to prevent others overtaking you, because all the ratings are relative. I don't see was resetting it would do.

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 pm

one_Two wrote:
But with this system if you are the at the top you have to play games to prevent others overtaking you, because all the ratings are relative. I don't see was resetting it would do.
Maybe I'm not making myself clear:

Guys like on the top 10 on ZDEXP have been playing since 2001. It's not fair that a person who've been playing since 2007 can't break the top ten because of this. Resetting the stats every year would breath new skill players in the top 10 and if the old players are still good enough, they would be still on the top 10.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Reach Term wrote:
one_Two wrote:
Maybe I'm not making myself clear:

Guys like on the top 10 on ZDEXP have been playing since 2001. It's not fair that a person who've been playing since 2007 can't break the top ten because of this. Resetting the stats every year would breath new skill players in the top 10 and if the old players are still good enough, they would be still on the top 10.
Nah yeah I get that but that's why the ELO system is different, if you were new and a genuinely good player, if you beat the top players consistently for a few games you'd be up there. There's no working your way up or anything, it's supposed to show players in order of how good they are at that moment in time. Having said that though I don't really know how this ZDEXP works, do they start on 0 points or something? because that would be different, with ELO you start on around 1200 (depending on the K variable in the algo) and your rating will quickly show how good you are.
Last edited by one_Two on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I see. Well stats should always have a nice restart to encourage new talent to shine through.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Reach Term wrote: I see. Well stats should always have a nice restart to encourage new talent to shine through.
I disagree, stats getting reset would put me off and would be pointless.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 pm

I think the people on Zdaemon have earned it, seeing as they've been playing for over 10 years now

Strych6
Forum Regular

Post by Strych6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm

one_Two wrote:
Reach Term wrote: I see. Well stats should always have a nice restart to encourage new talent to shine through.
I disagree, stats getting reset would put me off and would be pointless.
Its not a bad idea. after some time, certain ranks would discourage continuity. Ratios get horribly garbled from a lag game, as negatives always be weighin heavy

Iced
Forum Regular

Post by Iced » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:20 pm

But One_Two is suggesting the ranking be relative, and dynamic. I believe what he's trying to say is that you can play a bunch, win a lot, and be number one, but if you don't play for a month or whatever, your rating will decrease, because other people have been dueling and winning. It wouldn't be something where winning gives you X amount of points, and whoever has the highest points wins. It would be more like winning gives you a little boost, that decays over time.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Iced wrote: But One_Two is suggesting the ranking be relative, and dynamic. I believe what he's trying to say is that you can play a bunch, win a lot, and be number one, but if you don't play for a month or whatever, your rating will decrease, because other people have been dueling and winning. It wouldn't be something where winning gives you X amount of points, and whoever has the highest points wins. It would be more like winning gives you a little boost, that decays over time.
Yeah exactly, if you're a top player with a rating of say 2000 playing someone with a rating of 900 if the top player lost his score would go to around 1750 and the 900 would go up to about 1400. if the 2000 player lost to someone rated 1900 his score would not drop as much. The system takes into account the two players variables and uses a max difference variable (usually called K). It's an almost perfect system that accounts for flukey wins in the best way by enforcing consistency to get a top rating, (though I've only used the pre made algo I link in my first post).

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 pm

How would tournaments manage to use the ELO system? Any ideas?
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Razgriz wrote: How would tournaments manage to use the ELO system? Any ideas?
Well my thinking was they use whatever players ratings were at the start and then seed players based on that, just an idea.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 pm

one_Two wrote:
Well my thinking was they use whatever players ratings were at the start and then seed players based on that, just an idea.
So I guess it would mean I would get easier opponents if I never duel, right? Sounds abuse-able lol.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Razgriz wrote:
one_Two wrote:
So I guess it would mean I would get easier opponents if I never duel, right? Sounds abuse-able lol.
No because theoretically if you're a good player you're gonna be playing worse players at the start of tourneys, hence being seeded apart, it'd make for better later rounds. Although I guess if you were quite shit you could have a rating below the default of someone who's never played, but the default is supposed to be the average player rating. I don't think it could be abused.
Last edited by one_Two on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.