Duel Rating System

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.

Would you like a duel rating system?

Total votes: 0

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Duel Rating System

Post by one_Two » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Sorry if this is wrong area to post.

So I've had this idea for a while of having a duel rating system. Basically whenever a match is played on an eligible duel server the players results are collected and a score is given out based on a win or lose and who they played. The system that could be used is the ELO system (primarily used for chess but now is often used for games like starcraft etc...) and a post could be made, say once a week showing the list of scores.
I spoke to RedShirt about this as I know he runs the Spak servers and he agreed it would be a good idea (and had already been thinking of implementing one). I'd be interested in hearing others opinions, particularly those that run servers (correlating results between different servers could be a problem but I'd be happy to work it out so that we could have a definitive list). Also I was thinking people should probably be able to opt out of getting a rating if they want, but overall I think having a rating would be very useful, people could see if they are improving and not get disheartened when they lose to strong players, it could also be used for seeding in tournaments, so that the final is a true final :)

But yeah lemme know if you're for or against it.

Thanks.
one_Two

EDIT: This is an example of the ELO rating system - http://elo.divergentinformatics.com/ - please try it out (1200 is usually used as a starting rating)
Last edited by one_Two on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Duel Rating System

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm

If it's automated, then yes it could go well with the upcoming account system.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:23 pm

I think it would work out, would give some people a reason to try harder or to play more.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:42 pm

I don't duel these days but when I did I'm sure that if this change was put into place without ability to opt out of it I would've stopped dueling right there.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm fine with it, but it should always keep the opt out option.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am

Opting out should definitely be an option when it comes to recording any information of a player, also having players that play once or twice get rated might obscure scores.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 am

The solution is simple: Host unranked servers.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 am

For extreme scores because you only played 3 games, just make it so you have to play at least like 20 games before the ranking is taken into consideration. Its the way most source engine game servers do it with ranking.
Last edited by Combinebobnt on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 am

Combinebobnt wrote: For extreme scores because you only played 3 games, just make it so you have to play at least like 20 games before the ranking is taken into consideration. Its the way most source engine game servers do it with ranking.
Yeah a provisional rating, though for a smallish community I'd say about 5 games under it would be enough, the matches only effecting the player under a provisional rating.
Last edited by one_Two on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acolyte_

Post by Acolyte_ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:20 pm

How would people who play under different names work though? Would it log the IP? Because that can also just kill the use of aliasing.
17:40 <springy> Heroin is fun to inject into your ball sack
[spoiler]00:25 <Nautilus> I can rail 'em in the ass while reaching down and under to grab a good hold of their balls and knead those things tight
00:25 <Nautilus> then I'll get on my knees and jerk them off while smacking their tits
00:25 <Nautilus> dickgirls are hot
00:25 <Nautilus> they can suck my dick and I can suck their dicks too[/spoiler]

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Acolyte_ wrote: How would people who play under different names work though? Would it log the IP? Because that can also just kill the use of aliasing.
An identification system similar to the one used by few of the Grandvoid servers should function well. :hmm:

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Watermelon has told me he is working on a system which sounds very promising. Aside from people using different names there are other nuances like people disconecting and maybe only counting certain frag limits.
Last edited by one_Two on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

werewindle

Post by werewindle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 am

obvious questions: will you hold separate ladders for OS and NS? if not - why? if yes - where do you draw the line?

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

werewindle wrote: obvious questions: will you hold separate ladders for OS and NS? if not - why? if yes - where do you draw the line?
As in old school? I'd probably say not as it would show your overall dueling ability but there are pros and cons for both.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

Right now it'll only be focused around whatever settings AlexMax has on FC+ with duel32. If successful, it may expand-- but it's too soon to predict such a thing.
Last edited by Watermelon on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am

I actually find a rating system that logs using player's names to be more useful with helping keeping people from aliasing in duels.

Of course I might be the only one who finds this rather annoying, I just like to know who I'm playing before indulging in a 30 minute fisticuffs with another person named "Pubic Sprinkles" only to realize it was someone who could hold their own quite well.

Also it would give more reason for players to focus on duel/deathmatch (if it so happens to be implemented there) as it does for players who actually care about the experience points on ZDaemon. You have no clue just how many players actually give their all just to get themselves up a bit more in the leaderboards.

Fluffles
Forum Regular

Post by Fluffles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm

sure, rating systems are brilliant in games. Exp in Zdaemon was a great idea untill it got abused to hell by cramped duel wads in ffa senarios.

Tenchu
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: LF

Post by Tenchu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:54 pm

one_Two wrote:there are other nuances like people disconecting
That's why you add punishments for not finishing the game like in LoL. If the player doesn't finish the duel to completion, their score is automatically lowered, weather it be wins or an overall weighted score.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Ten wrote:
one_Two wrote:there are other nuances like people disconecting
That's why you add punishments for not finishing the game like in LoL. If the player doesn't finish the duel to completion, their score is automatically lowered, weather it be wins or an overall weighted score.
My thinking was that if you disconnect once your end of the score lowers a bit but not as much as if you lose, benefit of the doubt, but if it keeps happening it effects your score like a loss would.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Didn't they ban for disconnecting mid-games all the time instead of lowering scores?
Although I dunno that is probably dotalicious not LoL
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]