Who is the best death-match player in the world at doom 2?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Bork
New User

Who is the best death-match player in the world at doom 2?

Post by Bork » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:58 am

Who is the official Top Gun in the world?

Does he have a name?

Who is the myth the legend?

Also were there any names from the past that were recognized as the best or were rankings and tournaments not yet part of the scene?

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Re: Who is the best death-match player in the world at doom 2?

Post by Zakken » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:06 am

Free For All deathmatch doesn't have much of a storied competitive scene, so I'll assume you're referring to 1v1 duels.

At present it's hard to say, but the closest you have to the best dueler in Zandronum 2020 is Denzoa. For the past 15 years, the three players considered to be the best in the world were interchangeable between DevastatioN, JKist3 and Chewy aka Potent, but Chewy quit Doom since 2012-2013. Dev and JKist are still around and competed in last year's QuakeCon event, where Dev took 1st place and JKist took 2nd.

Poto
New User

Post by Poto » Sat May 02, 2020 8:16 am

The best death-match player?

I'd say it's Poto

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Sat May 02, 2020 2:43 pm

You do know that around here someone is going to want you to back that up, right?

Asriel

Clan: Incredible & *GOD*
Clan Tag: [I] & *GOD*

Post by Asriel » Mon May 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Zakken wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:06 am
Free For All deathmatch doesn't have much of a storied competitive scene, so I'll assume you're referring to 1v1 duels.
Deathmatch is played competitively, but it's usually limited to around five people per round. When more than five people sign up, they're usually split into multiple groups, then the top five players across all groups go to finals.

According to the Multiplayer Doom Federation's hall of fame, the player that ranks in the top 3 most consistently in free for all deathmatch is Dragon. D'sparil has the highest rank-per-match ratio (got first place 3 out of 4 times, got second place 1 time). (At the time this message was posted).
The Absolute GOD of Hyperdeath!

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Mon May 04, 2020 5:18 pm

na, is me, g
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Zakken » Mon May 04, 2020 10:23 pm

Asriel wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Deathmatch is played competitively, but it's usually limited to around five people per round. When more than five people sign up, they're usually split into multiple groups, then the top five players across all groups go to finals.

According to the Multiplayer Doom Federation's hall of fame, the player that ranks in the top 3 most consistently in free for all deathmatch is Dragon. D'sparil has the highest rank-per-match ratio (got first place 3 out of 4 times, got second place 1 time). (At the time this message was posted).
This system was originated by MDF a little over a year ago, and to this day we've only had small-scale one-day tournaments. It has nowhere near the storied past of duels, TDM or CTF, which all exceed 15 years of documented competition.