Is this possible?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Gokuma

Is this possible?

Post by Gokuma » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:48 pm

I tried doing this with Zandronum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVecfxOGRQ

On one comp I started a server, then had two more instances (one in a different folder with its own config) connect to it. Had them running side by side, but when I switch to control the player 1 window, my gamepad controls won't work for the other game window. Can only control one window at a time. Is there any command line parameter to disable this interruption or something?

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: Is this possible?

Post by TDRR » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:24 pm

This only works in Linux unfortunately. So yeah, try to set up a Puppy Linux (BionicPup64 is good and tiny enough) USB boot and load Zandronum from there. Alternatively, if the mods you are going to play work fine in modern GZDoom, you can try using ZDoom32 or LZDoom to play splitscreen (On Windows of course)

For both ZDoom32 and LZDoom it's an identical process, so here goes:
Make two installs of ZDoom32/LZDoom, set up the controls as needed and type joy_background 1 in the console, then finally host the server (Command line parameter is -host 2 for 2 people) and join from the other one (-join 127.0.0.1 should work).

If you are going to play mods that require Skulltag Content, try using https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61167 (Skulltag Emulation, for ZDoom), just remember to load Skulltag Emulation first and your mods last.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)

Gokuma

Post by Gokuma » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:28 am

Ok, I got a 3 player game running with player 1(the host) on mouse & keyboard, player 2 using this ZD X-Box/PS3/PC compat controller, and player 3 using an N64 controller with adapter. Had to do a bunch of disabling of one controller respectively for each controller player or else they both controlled both of those players. So I unfortunately can't make use of my second ZD controller. I'll probably be able to use an analog Saturn controller for player 4.

Major thanks for your help so far, but still one major problem. It's not updating the display of the other windows. Is this another LZDoom setting or a Windows setting I can fix?

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:36 pm

Type "vid_activeinbackground 1" in the console, and then type "i_soundinbackground 1" too (Without the quotes obviously). That should make everything work.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."

Gokuma

Post by Gokuma » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 am

Awesome, finally got back to it last night and got it working! The biggest difficulty is getting controls working right without one of the controllers controlling both of those players and each player has to use a different type of controller. I guess I'll suggest to the maker of LZDoom to please make easier explicit options for an instance to only use one certain controller. Major thanks, TDRR! Local multi-fun with crazy editing features!

This screenshot is shrunken 50%. Had each window at 640x480.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:30 am

Gokuma wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 am
Awesome, finally got back to it last night and got it working! The biggest difficulty is getting controls working right without one of the controllers controlling both of those players and each player has to use a different type of controller. I guess I'll suggest to the maker of LZDoom to please make easier explicit options for an instance to only use one certain controller. Major thanks, TDRR! Local multi-fun with crazy editing features!
No problem, glad you got it working!

A question, what is the map(s) you got loaded in that screenshot? It got me a bit curious.

Gokuma

Post by Gokuma » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:50 am

Entry-Hangar Plus ( a mixture of various versions of e1m1 and map01 all put together as one)

Only released the old version so far: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... 117-746am/

Now a mini-episode in which I did similar things with more maps and made up most of several bonus maps for all the new secret exits to take you to.

Vid of the splitscreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_IHuKX5io