Mods to track allies position ?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
eviltechno
New User

Mods to track allies position ?

Post by eviltechno » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:24 am

Is there really only this addon to see other teammates position in coop? https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7018

This ability is very important for me as i mostly play with new players.

In this thread people also mention about 2 other plugins.

1. Some addon from a modder called "water.." (?) Which should also show the actual map, which kinda sounds about the thing i am looking for.

2. A member called "Arctangent" links to a file he made which is offline. Can't even see how that addons were called so to search for them seems to be an impossible tasc.

Both members seem to be offline year(s), so i'm kind of lost here.

Any help would be much appreciated

eviltechno
New User

Re: Mods to track allies position ?

Post by eviltechno » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Crazy that there doesn't seem to be any interests in this. Doom is just too fast to always stick together. If it's about me i would even prefer if you could just see the teammates through walls, or an rectacle or triangle you could see from anywhere.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:26 pm

eviltechno wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:49 pm
Crazy that there doesn't seem to be any interests in this. Doom is just too fast to always stick together. If it's about me i would even prefer if you could just see the teammates through walls, or an rectacle or triangle you could see from anywhere.

In my mods, i like to simply display ally players’ health over their onscreen position as long as they are within close range. Other FPS games have this and it’s great for seeing where your friends are when they’re around corners, or seeing if they’re taking damage or finding health.

If i still had the source for my ACS ally-health-overlay script id post it. :/ It was pretty simple though. Maybe i’ll just rewrite it. Although IIRC it looked horrible if you F12’d someone (would draw the numbers at the screen positions that were meant for YOU, not the player you were spying), and it also had the potential to get laggy if you had more than 30 players in a server.

IMO it would be an awesome native engine feature, perhaps an alternative to the Voltlock-style “coopinfo” HUD that we’ve been using forever. Although i don’t honestly expect the dev’s to spend time and effort writing and testing it, so meh.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

eviltechno
New User

Post by eviltechno » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:10 pm

To be honest, as i'm coming from Soldier of Fortune 1 i wouldn't mind seeing the players name above their head (in fact i always missed this in all games) But just seeing the enemies health? Not really. Or are you talking about a possible change to the code, to make those numbers visible through walls? Otherwise i don't see how your mod (in case you find it) would help me.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:25 pm

omg i love SOF1 (and 2!) <3

eviltechno wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:10 pm
But just seeing the enemies health? Not really.
No no no, i wasn’t talking about enemy health. Only players’ health. (I also coded it so that it would only display the health of players on your team in team-based gamemodes)

eviltechno wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:10 pm
Or are you talking about a possible change to the code, to make those numbers visible through walls?
As I said before, the numbers in my mod are visible through walls. That’s why i thought it would be helpful for you.

Watch this video at the 0:20 mark and look carefully at the number “102” that seems to be moving around in front of the player. That’s the health of a player moving around behind that wall.

Do you have any ACS experience? If so I’d suggest looking at this because this is what i based my script on:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Hudmessageonactor
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

eviltechno
New User

Post by eviltechno » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Ænima wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:25 pm
omg i love SOF1 (and 2!) <3

You know what's good :)

No no no, i wasn’t talking about enemy health. Only players’ health. (I also coded it so that it would only display the health of players on your team in team-based gamemodes)

Yea i meant coop friends / allies / teammates. My bad

As I said before, the numbers in my mod are visible through walls. That’s why i thought it would be helpful for you.
Exactly the stuff im looking for. I even wouldn't mind if it's just saying "Player" or even a triangle shaped icon would do it.

Do you have any ACS experience? If so I’d suggest looking at this because this is what i based my script on:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Hudmessageonactor
Smaller sound and sprite mods are not a problem, but i don't know anything about coding. I know how to edit and compile, changing some text, but thats about it. Unfortunately.

edit:

I checked your vid. It's definitely good to see that this is at least possible. I imagine this with names above head and how awesome this would be. As you played sof1 you sure know what i mean.