I do not play Brutal Doom anymore

The local recycle bin. Reduce, reuse, and recycle.
crazyflyingdonut
New User

I do not play Brutal Doom anymore

Post by crazyflyingdonut » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:21 pm

(People in charge of this forum, feel free to move this post if it does not fit here. I wasn't sure where to put it. Please tell me where you put it so that I know.)

(If you want to remove this post because it is too sensitive or something like that, that's fine with me. Just please tell me about it.)

I do not play Brutal Doom anymore. Back when I made my last post on here, I still played Brutal Doom but a couple of weeks after that, I've found out the truth about Brutal Doom and Sgt_Mark_IV.

1. Doom seems to have a plagiarism problem. A lot of people don't give credit to one another. Doom Center was once a simple bowling map, and it grew without the author's permission. Unofficial versions of Doom Center seem to still be made. Back when I still played Brutal Doom, there were a lot of sprites I liked and I wanted to know where they came from. When I started googling (example) "who made the middle finger sprites from Brutal Doom", more than half of the things I wanted to know where they came from, I could not find much information on them. Eventually I found out that Sgt_Mark_IV made the credits hard to find in a previous version of Brutal Doom. But I'm more than certain that in those credits, he didn't credit everyone he stole from.

2. A lot of people seem to use Doom as a way of displaying their negative thoughts on a certain person, people or group. Grezzo 2 was basically a whole bunch of Doom modifications mashed together to make one really offensive game. Sgt_Mark_IV once hid a racist comment in a previous version of Brutal Doom, and he once gave instructions on suicide to someone. It makes me upset and it is hard for me to talk about most of the time.

3. People who still defend him despite crystal clear evidence of the bad things he has did. I have a hard time understanding those people. They remind me of people who still support any corrupt politician (I will not name any specific person so that I can avoid a political argument) even though there has been proof that he/she has done many bad things.

No matter how good something is, I cannot support something when it is associated with negative stuff.

Empyre
Zandrone

Re: I do not play Brutal Doom anymore

Post by Empyre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 pm

I stopped playing Brutal Doom years ago for that same reason, and also I hate having to reload weapons in Doom.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

crazyflyingdonut
New User

Post by crazyflyingdonut » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Empyre wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 pm
I stopped playing Brutal Doom years ago for that same reason, and also I hate having to reload weapons in Doom.
Yeah I told you once that if I ever finish a project for Doom, I am going to do everything that I can to prevent people from using it with Brutal Doom.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 am

you’re all just jealous because he made the most popular doom mod everrrrr AND he’s long-distance dating one of his fans

personally, I avoid BD servers like the plague. i really don’t like the mod, it just isn’t the way that i like to play doom, and the players always suck
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

crazyflyingdonut
New User

Post by crazyflyingdonut » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Ænima wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 am
personally, I avoid BD servers like the plague. i really don’t like the mod, it’s just not the way i like to play doom, and the players always suck
And I forgot to mention in the post, I used to love Brutal Doom so much that I was planning on donating to Sgt_Mark_IV's Patreon. Thankfully I found out the truth right before that was supposed to happen, and I ended up spending my money on other things instead.

crazyflyingdonut
New User

Post by crazyflyingdonut » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm

If I ever meet John Romero, I am going to show him the bad things that Sgt_Mark_IV has done so that John Romero will have a different opinion on Brutal Doom, because I heard that John Romero is aware of the existence of Brutal Doom and he likes it. I plan on changing his opinion if I ever meet him. Of course, if anyone else has a better chance of meeting John Romero and wants to use this idea, then please tell me first so that I will be able to know whenever John Romero is told the truth about Brutal Doom.

Tiger
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Tiger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 pm

crazyflyingdonut wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm
If I ever meet John Romero, I am going to show him the bad things that Sgt_Mark_IV has done so that John Romero will have a different opinion on Brutal Doom, because I heard that John Romero is aware of the existence of Brutal Doom and he likes it. I plan on changing his opinion if I ever meet him. Of course, if anyone else has a better chance of meeting John Romero and wants to use this idea, then please tell me first so that I will be able to know whenever John Romero is told the truth about Brutal Doom.
Why? Is Brutal Doom hurting you? Is Brutal Doom hurting anyone? Why bother John Romero at all regarding Brutal Doom? Sure, the author of that mod might be a jerk or doesn't put on his t-shirt like everyone else, but does that call for an alarm of urgency?

Sure, Brutal Doom might have uncredited and stolen assets, but so did Skulltag.wad and thousands of released PWADs. Sure, the author might be a bully to others online, how is he different than any other ordinary user in other gaming communities where the environment is toxic or where there exists a large player base?

If you want to protest the mod/pk3/wad by not playing it, you're perfectly fine in doing so quietly. But what you are requesting is not warranted; let John Romero make his games without hindering him with pointless noise.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

crazyflyingdonut
New User

Post by crazyflyingdonut » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Tiger wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 pm
crazyflyingdonut wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm
Why? Is Brutal Doom hurting you? Is Brutal Doom hurting anyone? Why bother John Romero at all regarding Brutal Doom? Sure, the author of that mod might be a jerk or doesn't put on his t-shirt like everyone else, but does that call for an alarm of urgency?

Sure, Brutal Doom might have uncredited and stolen assets, but so did Skulltag.wad and thousands of released PWADs. Sure, the author might be a bully to others online, how is he different than any other ordinary user in other gaming communities where the environment is toxic or where there exists a large player base?

If you want to protest the mod/pk3/wad by not playing it, you're perfectly fine in doing so quietly. But what you are requesting is not warranted; let John Romero make his games without hindering him with pointless noise.
Excuse me? You think the Doom fanbase is toxic? Uh-uh. No, sir. Doom doesn't even come close to having the most toxic fanbase, that award goes to a certain blue hedgehog.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:50 am

You haven't seen the bowels of the Doom community have you

Matiu
Posts a lot
Clan: FS (ZD)
Clan Tag: Your Pal

Post by Matiu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:56 am

crazyflyingdonut wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:15 pm
Excuse me? You think the Doom fanbase is toxic? Uh-uh. No, sir. Doom doesn't even come close to having the most toxic fanbase, that award goes to a certain blue hedgehog.
Actually Few things to say as you think so... actually few people are toxic personas, mean, etc at something else but there's the other piece of cake that aren't toxic as well
Current FS member (ZDaemon), former GOH member, former SNS Staff and former ZDaemon Discord Admin.
Youtube Channel | Matiu's Purple World | Instagram | Twitter

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 am

I'm not going to bother to write a long reply to this thread, because we have had this discussion many times. Play the mod if you want or not, but stop criticising a person for something he did years ago and has already sat a ban out for. If you can't accept the way he is now, then leave that discussion to your friends, and not with another discussion on the forum. I'm not here to defend him, but neither am I going to accept another thread like this.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image