Zandronum 3.0 is a significant downgrade from 2.1.2

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
ZzZombo
Forum Regular

Re: Zandronum 3.0 is a significant downgrade from 2.1.2

Post by ZzZombo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:46 am

I just wanna to say that I CAN'T AIM in 3.0 like at all. I dunno why, but today my aim was all over the place, as in I turn slightly to a side to shot, but end up turning several times more than intended. I must say I have played the newest GZDoom a day before, and even tho I came back to Doom after a long break, I didn't suffer in terms of aim playing there a little bit at all, even tho all settings there are supposed to be the default ones, whereas in Z3.0 they are simply taken from Z2.1, i. e. the ones I used to play with. I tried to fiddle with mouse settings in the menu, but couldn't get anything to play nicely with me, I've tried "overall sensitivity", "turning speed", "prescale input", but nothing, nothing lets me play comfortably. What can be done about this?
QZRcon - Qt-based tool for Zandronum/Skulltag servers!
#grandvoid funny stats

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:15 am

Hats off to Leonard for doing a wonderful job documenting and fixing these issues.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Props to unknownna for finding this issue and leonard fixing the long chain of problems.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:35 am

Leonard wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 am
Except for cl_ticsperupdate, I have fixed them all here.
I'm just making the PRs one by one to keep things simple.
Fantastic detective work.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:20 pm

AlexMax wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:18 pm
1. I'm not really sure what the numbers mean. I guess that the first number of In and Out are the instantaneous traffic going in and out in bytes, but that leads me to...
2. It updates very quickly...too quickly. I can't get a good feel for the first number at all because it keeps oscillating.
3. It's in a very small font in an unconfigurable corner of the screen.
4. It disappears when I quit the game. Most netgraphs in most games I've seen remain on forever until they're specifically turned off.
FYI, the numbers are "bytes during the last tic", "bytes during the last second" and "max bytes per second". The first three are for incoming traffic, the other three for outgoing traffic. The per tic numbers are actually not very meaningful, we could drop them.
AlexMax wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:18 pm
stat is kind of handy as a dumping ground of stat functions, but for something as important as a netgraph I'm not sure it's the best choice.
"stat nettraffic" is just what is available right now, I'm open for improving and extending it. Yesterday, I added information about packet loss to theses stats.
Razgriz wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:41 pm
Torr Samaho wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 am
We gave everybody countless of chances to test, we even almost literally begged people to test. If you are ignoring our many calls for testing, you can hardly blame us.
I'm more surprised at the fact something that wasn't tested thoroughly was still allowed the green light, sounds like a fault on both ends
We didn't make any changes to the tic buffer compared to 2.1.2, so there was no reason to test this explicitly and no need to green light it. So I don't see how we are at fault here. Overall testing was even enforced by TSPG, so what else should we have done?
Leonard wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 am
Except for cl_ticsperupdate, I have fixed them all here.
I'm just making the PRs one by one to keep things simple.
Great work! It looks like you tracked down the cause of https://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=2859 and provided fixes. Judging from your comments and fixes, it looks like all of this affects 2.1.2 and 3.0 alike though, which means the ticket was correctly flagged with Product Version "2.1".

Thus, even though these fixes should certainly improve the unlagged behavior and it's great to have them, as far as I can tell right now, it doesn't bring us any closer to understanding why 2.1.2 and 3.0 seem to behave so differently from the perspective of the competitive players. So we still need a proper comparison of 2.1.2 with activated to 3.0 in order to find out whether 3.0 introduced problems that need to be taken care of.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 am

I am running Lenoard's fixes on NJ and DE. I also have a vanilla 3.0 duel server set up as a point of comparison on port 10687.

In my view, it appears that shot registration has improved, but players still seem to jerk their way around the map, perhaps more badly.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm thinking that perhaps the jerking could have something to do with the cl_ticsperupdate?

https://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=3317

This issue hasn't been addressed yet so it might be a factor.

Leonard
Developer

Post by Leonard » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:56 pm

The culprit of the jittering is #3334.
As Alex reports, it is more noticable now due to the fact the ticbuffer was fixed: before, it would only empty halfway through and get stuck behind 1 tic for a while which made this flickering less noticable.
Thanks to him for helping with investigating this issue btw.