Should teams be forcefully balanced based on player count for Ghouls vs Humans?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.

Players shouldn't be able to join ghouls/humans if it has more players

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 16

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Should teams be forcefully balanced based on player count for Ghouls vs Humans?

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:45 pm

To clarify, this poll is a community gauge on the idea that: GvH should prevent players from joining humans/ghouls if one team has more players than the other instead of just letting the players play what they want.

So as an example of this: Say you wanna play as Sjas and try to join ghoul team as "Sjas", the server will instead force you to join humans if there are more ghouls than humans.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Re: Is the team balancer from All Out War a good solution for Ghouls vs Humans?

Post by Mobius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:49 pm

What does the AOW balance include?
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Mobius wrote:What does the AOW balance include?
I am focusing on solely this aspect: "The player doesn't get to pick what team he goes to but instead is forced to join whichever team has the lesser amount of players."

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Catastrophe wrote:
Mobius wrote:What does the AOW balance include?
I am focusing on solely this aspect: "The player doesn't get to pick what team he goes to but instead is forced to join whichever team has the lesser amount of players."
Oh ok. You should probably include more information in the opening post about it.
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 pm

The aow balancer also forces some of the players to switch to the enemy team if people leave mid-game. The exception to that rule, however, is the players who have been in their team for a long enough time (or if they have high enough xp, idk what is the exact criteria for not being affected by the balancer, it's something along those lines). I'm assuming you're not focusing on that too?

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Konda wrote:The aow balancer also forces some of the players to switch to the enemy team if people leave mid-game. The exception to that rule, however, is the players who have been in their team for a long enough time (or if they have high enough xp, idk what is the exact criteria for not being affected by the balancer). I'm assuming you're not focusing on that too?
I'm not, I'll rephrase the title accordingly.

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:27 pm

I feel this should be the standard for literally every team mode, and should be implemented as a built-in server variable, so that users can turn it off in special cases such as private CTF and whatnot.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Zakken wrote:I feel this should be the standard for literally every team mode, and should be implemented as a built-in server variable, so that users can turn it off in special cases such as private CTF and whatnot.
I think there is already a server variable for this. I saw this behavior on grandvoid when one of the admins were in the server. Although I think it also forced players to switch teams every round if they were unbalanced.
Edit: sv_noteamselect and sv_noteamswitch
Last edited by Konda on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt

Re: Should teams be forcefully balanced based on player count for Ghouls vs Humans?

Post by Combinebobnt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Use ivan's balancer from rh. its already built for something like gvh instead of aow's or maybe the hypnotoad one we used on fnf

Mobius
Banned

Re: Should teams be forcefully balanced based on player count for Ghouls vs Humans?

Post by Mobius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Cata why don't you talk about the balancer instead of making fucked up topic titles or are you trying to frame the question to garner some bias poll?

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Mobius wrote:Cata why don't you talk about the balancer instead of making fucked up topic titles
I'm not editing the question or title anymore, and revotes are allowed. So if anyone feels they've been tricked they can change their vote accordingly.
or are you trying to frame the question to garner some bias poll?
No - I feel that the way it's worded currently should be better than it was before. But please keep your conspiracy theories to yourself and avoid derailing the thread, thanks.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:18 am

Catastrophe wrote:
Mobius wrote:Cata why don't you talk about the balancer instead of making fucked up topic titles
I'm not editing the question or title anymore, and revotes are allowed. So if anyone feels they've been tricked they can change their vote accordingly.
or are you trying to frame the question to garner some bias poll?
No - I feel that the way it's worded currently should be better than it was before. But please keep your conspiracy theories to yourself and avoid derailing the thread, thanks.
No one is derailing anything. You should just properly explain what the question means for an accurate poll.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 am

OP already edited 8 times xd. It's good now though.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:31 am

Konda wrote:OP already edited 8 times xd. It's good now though.
That's fair I suppose. I'll lay off. I already cast my vote.. but I do have a question.

What is this for exactly?

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:31 am

There's a few team balancers floating around such as Ivan's and the one in AOW, it'd be incredibly easy for someone to apply that to the mod and be fine. No one ever does/has though to my knowledge so they either don't care or just don't know that such a thing exists.
Specifically for GvH, Carthief created his own balancing system involving specific buffs to certain classes if an opposing team has greater players, which to me eliminates the need for some kind of team balancer like AOW's. One or the other in my opinion.
<Dynamo_>uh
<Dynamo_>did you just take the thread away
<FusedQyou>Dunno
<FusedQyou>ask the thread

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 am

Mobius wrote:
Konda wrote:OP already edited 8 times xd. It's good now though.
That's fair I suppose. I'll lay off. I already cast my vote.. but I do have a question.

What is this for exactly?
Basically me and Ivan had an argument on whether or not forcing people on teams is a good idea for the sake of balance in gvh. It ended with him telling me to post a poll on the forums. Thus here we are.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 am

jdagenet wrote: Specifically for GvH, Carthief created his own balancing system involving specific buffs to certain classes if an opposing team has greater players, which to me eliminates the need for some kind of team balancer like AOW's.
This is one of probably 2 or 3 things he did right in gvh. Giving each class a buff that best suits their abilities is a great idea for a balancer imo. He showed us what it's like when you get max level of upgrades (probably for something like 8 or 12 more ppl on the enemy team than your team has). Your class gets insane stats. I was a creeper at the time and I had some insane movement speed. You could also see where the enemies were located on the automap. It was great. I think it'd be fun for ghouls to fight with OP stats against a heavily stacked human team.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 am

Konda wrote:
jdagenet wrote: Specifically for GvH, Carthief created his own balancing system involving specific buffs to certain classes if an opposing team has greater players, which to me eliminates the need for some kind of team balancer like AOW's.
This is one of probably 2 or 3 things he did right in gvh.
He did nothing right for any gvh.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and vote for the team balancer. As crummy as it is to force people onto a side you don't like unbalanced teams hurt the game a bit more in my opinion. Plus I think more people would simply elect to play a bit more instead of spectate and either wait for certain teammates or for a side to even out (or even overpopulate). Most modern asymmetrical multiplayer has already made this decision to just use randomness.

If someone really wanted to put effort in this, I suppose you could have a cvar that gets sent to the server which tells the server which side you like playing on more and then create a matchmaker that attempts to balance out the human favorites vs ghoul favorites, but I know this is probably a lot of work.

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:32 pm

I support Carthief's balancing system because it doesn't force people to play as something they don't want to, but still... Eh... Balances things.