Oh look even Doomworld has a "like" feature now

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Oh look even Doomworld has a "like" feature now

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Can we get it on this board now too please? I got shot down by A3 last time but now the central hub for everything Doom-related has it.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Re: Oh look even Doomworld has a "like" feature now

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:09 pm

It got shot down because it's a retarded idea.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:It got shot down because it's a retarded idea.
It's literally harmless. Do you see any devastating effect it has on Doomworld? No? Thought so.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm

It doesn't matter whether it's harmless or not for Doomworld and keep in mind it was only added very recently. What matters is what happened in the past with ST/Zan. That beloved rating/karma system sure turned out to be a great idea...

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:It doesn't matter whether it's harmless or not for Doomworld and keep in mind it was only added very recently. What matters is what happened in the past with ST/Zan. That beloved rating/karma system sure turned out to be a great idea...
Except the flaw with the karma system was that it was kept forever and would be showcased every time you posted. Likes on the other hand aren't a number attached to your account for everyone to glamour over.

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Catastrophe wrote:the central hub for everything Doom-related has it.
Which doesn't exactly mean it's a good thing...
I mean look at the like system on Facebook -- it's a joke lol. It's nowhere near consider serious anymore, and I'm not sure if it ever was.

I have no idea what Doomworld was thinking (that's for another day...), but I personally don't want to see bits and pieces of Facebook on these forums. It doesn't make sense.
If there isn't a need nor a demand for a like feature, why add one?

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 pm

jdagenet wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:the central hub for everything Doom-related has it.
Which doesn't exactly mean it's a good thing...
I mean look at the like system on Facebook -- it's a joke lol. It's nowhere near consider serious anymore, and I'm not sure if it ever was.

I have no idea what Doomworld was thinking (that's for another day...), but I personally don't want to see bits and pieces of Facebook on these forums. It doesn't make sense.
Why do you people always relate it to Facebook? Obviously no one wants that. Have any of you guys ventured outside of Facebook and seen like systems in other forums like League or Overwatch? That's what I want. Now the reason for adding a like system? Just. For. Fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Remember when I got 24+ likes on Blue's ts forum and he took that feature away because I got double his likes. Yeah what a great system
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Mobius wrote:Remember when I got 24+ likes on Blue's ts forum and he took that feature away because I got double his likes. Yeah what a great system
It's because that was a premium feature of Enjin and I wasn't about to start paying for that garbage. And yes it was a great feature aside from the fact it tracked how many likes you got.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Catastrophe wrote:
Mobius wrote:Remember when I got 24+ likes on Blue's ts forum and he took that feature away because I got double his likes. Yeah what a great system
It's because that was a premium feature of Enjin and I wasn't about to start paying for that garbage. And yes it was a great feature aside from the fact it tracked how many likes you got.
Well you want someone who pays for this forum to have "that garbage" so which is it? and a system like that NATURALLY tracks down the likes someone likes. It's a meaningless circle-jerk function. I remember trolling dark-assassin by disliking his profile and called him a kangaroo furry. Nothing good comes from it, and nothing good comes from doomworld. You'd know if you were actually there.
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:42 pm

Mobius wrote:Well you want someone who pays for this forum to have "that garbage" so which is it?
Unlike Enjin, adding it to forums is free of any monetary cost. So I dunno where you're going with this point.
Mobius wrote:and a system like that NATURALLY tracks down the likes someone likes. It's a meaningless circle-jerk function.
Which is why I stated that it should be a system where it doesn't track likes, similar to other popular forums.
Mobius wrote:I remember trolling dark-assassin by disliking his profile and called him a kangaroo furry. Nothing good comes from it, and nothing good comes from doomworld. You'd know if you were actually there.
I understand where you're coming from. I see Doomworld added a reputation system and I agree it's a mistake as it was on Skulltag because people can abuse it. But a reputation/karma system != like system. A like system is a simple feature to like posts and nothing more. No "tracking" likes to see how many you have, no permanent numbers that follow your account, etc. It's literally just a harmless way to approve discussion as I've seen in other modern forums.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 pm

Catastrophe wrote:Unlike Enjin, adding it to forums is free of any monetary cost. So I dunno where you're going with this point.
The person is paying for the services and features of such a system something you refused to do. So why should they?
Catastrophe wrote:I understand where you're coming from. I see Doomworld added a reputation system and I agree it's a mistake as it was on Skulltag because people can abuse it. But a reputation/karma system != like system. A like system is a simple feature to like posts and nothing more. No "tracking" likes to see how many you have, no permanent numbers that follow your account, etc. It's literally just a harmless way to approve discussion as I've seen in other modern forums.
I think you're lost. Here. A forum for your speed.

https://www.reddit.com/

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:02 am

no like feature unless all the staff wants it

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 am

Dark-Assassin wrote:no like feature unless all the staff wants it
He's just memeing. I wouldn't give him any mind considering how he started with the whole "A3 ganging up one me" bait.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 am

no thanks I'm satisfied with the current way in which we exchange information here at zandronum.com

MAYBE if it's just in the Editing section and it's like "x people found this post helpful". But other than that I think that the community here is so small that "likes" on posts would just reinforce clique-type behavior instead of actually giving lurkers and outsiders a good idea of how "good" a particular post is (which, I assume, is your intention for this system).
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:32 am

Ænima wrote:MAYBE if it's just in the Editing section and it's like "x people found this post helpful". But other than that I think that the community here is so small that "likes" on posts would just reinforce clique-type behavior instead of actually giving lurkers and outsiders a good idea of how "good" a particular post is (which, I assume, is your intention for this system).
This is partially why karma was removed, because you had a bunch of cliques abusing it and it wasn't genuinely helpful in any form, only a form of entertainment. Just because DW got it doesn't mean we should follow suit as well. You want it that bad, go over there for your funny like memes. This community is too small, and the forums aren't active enough to have such a system be genuinely useful. We also have our own way to approve of discussion, it either gets reported and sent to the trash or it stays on the sub forum it was first posted in, you don't need a like system for that.

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:10 am

Catastrophe wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote:It doesn't matter whether it's harmless or not for Doomworld and keep in mind it was only added very recently. What matters is what happened in the past with ST/Zan. That beloved rating/karma system sure turned out to be a great idea...
Except the flaw with the karma system was that it was kept forever and would be showcased every time you posted. Likes on the other hand aren't a number attached to your account for everyone to glamour over.
Another problem with the karma system is that you could give people negative points, so you could easily mess up players' karma if you rallied a group willing to mass defame the person, so it was only a matter of time until ill-intentioned individuals would screw it up. At least the like system won't allow for such mass dislike bombs from cliques in the community, and one could argue that clique-based like bombs instead aren't nearly as bad.
jdagenet wrote:I mean look at the like system on Facebook -- it's a joke lol. It's nowhere near consider serious anymore, and I'm not sure if it ever was.
[citation needed]
jdagenet wrote:I have no idea what Doomworld was thinking (that's for another day...), but I personally don't want to see bits and pieces of Facebook on these forums. It doesn't make sense.
Why doesn't it make sense? What is so inherently repulsive about this feature? To me, these "omg pls don't turn this into FB ugh" outcries make far less sense. If it's not a system that would take too much effort to implement, I don't see why not. Like Raz said though, the community is too small for such a feature to be used extensively and properly, so in the end, I don't see a pressing need for this "like" feature to be introduced here, but most of the arguments against it that were posted here thus far either don't make sense or are tackling unrelated cases.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 am

Hey Catastrophe, Mobius and anyone involved taking potshots at the other side:

Cut it out, don't do it here

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:17 am

Size doesn't matter for a like system considering all A3 needs to do is mobilize all 30 of its roster to give likes to counter arguments against any of their members. This is coming from me, and now imagine that happening on a regular. How would anyone outside of the social groups differentiate between genuine likes and circle jerking? Making it public? Now you know who does and doesn't like you. This only introduces further problems especially resentment and trust me this whole community keeps grudges. They just pretend their opponents hold grudges.

It's a useless feature. Let the audience decide for themselves what is and isn't a good post.