The new kind of trolls...

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
*icefox*avp*
New User

The new kind of trolls...

Post by *icefox*avp* » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:02 am

I was playing Zandronum FSR HQ some days ago, then a guy with "Player" name joined the server and started to impersonate me (Renamed to Revan because this is the name I use it now). When I changed my name (Revan Formerly ONYX), that guy left and came back with the same name, then he called a vote and kicked me from the server. Now today, I was playing Complex Epic with some dudes and I had so much fun. After 30 - 40 minutes, that guy with "Player" name came in the server, but this time he left it in a second and came back with more trolls impersonating most of us. A troll called a vote to kick me and unfortunately I got kicked, they probably kicked the rest of them too.
Last edited by *icefox*avp* on Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Re: The new kind of trolls...

Post by Marcaek » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:36 pm

The only way to deal with these people is to contact the server's staff and ask them to disable voting. Impersonation has been fixed in Zandronum 3.0 but unfortunately that's still a ways off and people don't like downloading testing builds which should have had multiple versions forever ago imo

*icefox*avp*
New User

Post by *icefox*avp* » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:02 pm

It's good to see that Zandronum 3.0 fixed the impersonations! Also, these trolls are very rude with the community when they impersonate someone. They start to piss people off including me, because it's not fun to get hated by everyone just because a troll disguised as you starts to spit stupid things and that's why I'm pissed too.

trippy
New User

Post by trippy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Add me to the list of people experiencing this problem.

Whilst playing shotgun frenzy all of a sudden this guy named "player" shows up with duplicates and precedes to mess the game up for everyone by taking the command chair and blowing all of the team credits, then when he gets bored he'll start votekicking people with his band of merry bots. I gave up and joined another shotgun frenzy server but he quickly showed up and did the same thing.

Me and a few other players once managed to ban him just in time but a few minutes later he was back with an IP from a completely different country, which means IP banning doesn't stop it. I have no idea if its just one person or many but its getting old now.

This has been going on for a few weeks and I've tried contacting the server admins but with no luck.

darklord42

Post by darklord42 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Sounds like he has a vpn, how nice for him.

-Jes-
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by -Jes- » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 am

ignore_idx, ban_idx and reporting to #tspg are your friends.

Use your friends. Share your friends.

trippy
New User

Post by trippy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:10 pm

-Jes- wrote:ignore_idx, ban_idx and reporting to #tspg are your friends.

Use your friends. Share your friends.
Hi, what is meant by these and how do I use them? Will it prevent him from banning me?

LadySlash
New User

Post by LadySlash » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:53 pm

From "Console_Commands" page on Zandronum Wiki (yeah, the console and that Wiki are your friends as well :biggrin: Use them wisely)

Ignore_IDx <player_id> [minutes]
Ignores a specific client with the use of Player Index number list. It is plausible to specify a time in which the client is ignored, such as Ignore_IDx 4 5. The player index number list can be found in the 'PlayerInfo' CCMD.
Ban_IDx <player_id> <time> [reason]
Bans a specific client by use of the Player index number list.
Time
When approaching this argument, the time can be inputted as 6days or even 1345years. The allowed time/date formats are: minutes, hours, days, months, and years.
Perm (or permanent ban) is what it is, permanent. This can also be used as the time argument.
For using "ban_idx" command you'll need RCON access on the server. For "ignore_idx" command it is not necessary.

Also, if you happen to run your own instance(s), you might want to use "sv_nocallvote" command. I do admit, this won't let anyone to call any vote, but it will prevent the callvote spam for sure.

I hope this will help you somehow :biggrin:
The speed skater with a bent for slaying zombies and solving puzzles

Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198155538322.']Image[/url]

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:26 pm

I'll chime in here and say if you wanna get someones player ID, you will need to either use the "playerinfo" console command to look it up or you can get ZCC and it'll show player ID's on the scoreboard.

trippy
New User

Post by trippy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 pm

LadySlash wrote:From "Console_Commands" page on Zandronum Wiki (yeah, the console and that Wiki are your friends as well :biggrin: Use them wisely)

Ignore_IDx <player_id> [minutes]
Ignores a specific client with the use of Player Index number list. It is plausible to specify a time in which the client is ignored, such as Ignore_IDx 4 5. The player index number list can be found in the 'PlayerInfo' CCMD.
Ban_IDx <player_id> <time> [reason]
Bans a specific client by use of the Player index number list.
Time
When approaching this argument, the time can be inputted as 6days or even 1345years. The allowed time/date formats are: minutes, hours, days, months, and years.
Perm (or permanent ban) is what it is, permanent. This can also be used as the time argument.
For using "ban_idx" command you'll need RCON access on the server. For "ignore_idx" command it is not necessary.

Also, if you happen to run your own instance(s), you might want to use "sv_nocallvote" command. I do admit, this won't let anyone to call any vote, but it will prevent the callvote spam for sure.

I hope this will help you somehow :biggrin:
Isn't this sort of thing just for the server admin? I'm just a player and nothing more, I just select the game in doomseeker and begin playing and have no affiliation with the people in charge.

LadySlash
New User

Post by LadySlash » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:33 pm

trippy wrote: Isn't this sort of thing just for the server admin? I'm just a player and nothing more, I just select the game in doomseeker and begin playing and have no affiliation with the people in charge.
Speaking about "ban_idx" command, you are right, it can be executed by server admins only.
The "ignore_idx" command, however, can be used by regular players as well. The difference is that a player can mute the annoying one just for him-/herself, while an admin is able to do it for everyone.

Hope I made things clearer for you :smile:

trippy
New User

Post by trippy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:36 am

LadySlash wrote:
trippy wrote: Isn't this sort of thing just for the server admin? I'm just a player and nothing more, I just select the game in doomseeker and begin playing and have no affiliation with the people in charge.
Speaking about "ban_idx" command, you are right, it can be executed by server admins only.
The "ignore_idx" command, however, can be used by regular players as well. The difference is that a player can mute the annoying one just for him-/herself, while an admin is able to do it for everyone.

Hope I made things clearer for you :smile:
Alright thanks, but are you sure this will prevent them from using spambots+VPN to votekick me and other players?

LadySlash
New User

Post by LadySlash » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:17 am

trippy wrote: Alright thanks, but are you sure this will prevent them from using spambots+VPN to votekick me and other players?
TBH, even these existing means of troll restraining barely keep them away from doing their nasty routine. At least that's what I've learnt from my experience as the server admin.
Apparently, that was one of the reasons to jump on Zand 3.0 and the reason to turn off any callvote. I admit, that still don't stop them completely, but at least that decreases the number of ways to piss nice people off. In addition, I'm looking forward to future Zandronum releases