GvH fair and balanced

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.

Best Pick

Original GvH
18%
Endless War
3%
Cold Demise
47%
Nordic Saga
9%
Legacy of Darkness
15%
Multi-Verse
9%

Total votes: 34

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Re: GvH fair and balanced

Post by Mobius » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:05 pm

The changes apparently wasn't well received minus White Out. Everyone voted for cold demise being the most balance then they go and change it rofl
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Changes have been made since I put up the server. Choke healing, Ghostbuster ammo increase, Engineer buff...
Anyone who apparently doesn't like the minor map changes (which there are like four or five) do not not adapt well to new things even if they're good changes.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:00 pm

nice to see the updated white noise was a real map for once, and that line standoff map upgraded from trash to a pub ctf map. the rest just looked like grymmoire wanted to kill all the chokepoint maps just because some creeper camped (which happens on every map come on), and he def did on map25 lol. Poor map25. Instead of trying to destroy all the chokepoint maps so every map plays the same, boring, try fixing more actual issues like the gvh11 spawn. Gvh30 got some very questionable spawns going on, start with that.

The boat map was marginally better but I don't know if its good

Oh yea sv_maprotation 1 I heard that can prevent bad maps from getting played?...

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Mobius wrote:The changes apparently wasn't well received minus White Out. Everyone voted for cold demise being the most balance then they go and change it rofl
People voted based on the classes not the maps....

Fixes are fine if shit maps can be improved. Balancing based off creeper camping is dumb though. The only way to solve that is to remove the class or use lms gas when the last ghoul(s) is creeper.

r4z0r
Banned
Clan: Homework Help

Post by r4z0r » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:10 pm

jdagenet wrote:Changes have been made since I put up the server. Choke healing, Ghostbuster ammo increase, Engineer buff...
Anyone who apparently doesn't like the minor map changes (which there are like four or five) do not not adapt well to new things even if they're good changes.
"Yeah its totally not me at fault ur critisism is wrong xd" while of course you can decide what changes are made and which aren't, to simply dismiss critisism as a lack of adaptation and effort on the players part is kinda stupid. The players are the ones who keep your server alive and their voice should be the one you're listening to first, not your own. Also was choke healing fixed to not be dumb yet or is that still a "feature"?

By the way Ru5tK1ng half of the appeal of gvh is those long standing matches where its just one creeper versus 5 or 6 humans. Those sort of clutch matches are what make gvh unique in my opinion as its very rare to find such a thing nowadays in any doom mod or game as a matter of fact. To implement lms gas would kill one of gvh's unique selling points and it'd be sad to see gvh die after such a good revival :(

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Watch it Avernus said he might make multiple sockpuppet accounts to change the polls.
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:22 pm

too bad he can't make multiple sockpuppet accounts to change the lod playercount

cenou
Under Moderation

Post by cenou » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:24 pm

LoD has a player count? Even Odamex has a bigger player count than LOD

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:30 pm

I played Odamex so I think LOD is at a disadvantage here... L --> 0 <-- D, I think i found the playercount?

cenou
Under Moderation

Post by cenou » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm

In a Galaxy far far away LoD will have more players than Zdaemon Priv Ctf

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:51 pm

r4z0r wrote:
jdagenet wrote:Changes have been made since I put up the server. Choke healing, Ghostbuster ammo increase, Engineer buff...
"Yeah its totally not me at fault ur critisism is wrong xd" while of course you can decide what changes are made and which aren't, to simply dismiss critisism as a lack of adaptation and effort on the players part is kinda stupid. The players are the ones who keep your server alive and their voice should be the one you're listening to first, not your own. Also was choke healing fixed to not be dumb yet or is that still a "feature"?
I do listen to people.
Nobody liked my proposed changes to the classes? Threw them out. People wanted Engineer buffed? Done. White Out v1? Shit-canned. Choke healing? Done. Ghostbuster ammo buff? No problem. Ghostbuster traps killing humans? Fixed.

Now, about that Choke healing...
I reckon there's something going on that's out of my control, either with the way Zandronum handles activators online or network desync. I'm going to dig a little deeper into this and test other methods/strategies because it's one of those things where I personally don't rely on the healing to aid me during the game, but it would be nice knowing that you'd get HP back guaranteed.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:30 pm

r4z0r about creeper 1v5's wrote:very rare to find such a thing nowadays
Uhhhhhh it's not as rare as you think it is considering its been happening every snow map or forest map, or any map with a shit ton of spots for creepers in general.

To be fair also on the part of Jason he has indeed threw away several things without even protesting in terms of some of the balances that were frowned upon

r4z0r
Banned

Post by r4z0r » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:43 am

Slyfox wrote:
Uhhhhhh it's not as rare as you think it is considering its been happening every snow map or forest map, or any map with a shit ton of spots for creepers in general.

To be fair also on the part of Jason he has indeed threw away several things without even protesting in terms of some of the balances that were frowned upon
Ok you missed my point I'm tryin to say that theres probably no other mod/game that pl;ays the way gvh does. Its so rare to find such a game where 1v8 are so commonplace and it adds to the excitement of the match as each move is critical and valuable. This is what sets gvh apart as its one of the unique features of it. To remove it with lms gas would just help kill gvh. This is all my speculation however.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:17 am

I do not believe that having several matches of 1v8's makes any sort of match exciting unless the last player happens to be skilled as fuck [and a creeper, cause being a larger ghoul will probably squash your chances even more so]. I see what you mean in terms of allowing a comeback to be possible [wolfendoom that one time for example], I just believe that the comeback shouldn't involve killing half the server from impatience.

r4z0r
Banned

Post by r4z0r » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:41 am

Slyfox wrote:I do not believe that having several matches of 1v8's makes any sort of match exciting unless the last player happens to be skilled as fuck [and a creeper, cause being a larger ghoul will probably squash your chances even more so]. I see what you mean in terms of allowing a comeback to be possible [wolfendoom that one time for example], I just believe that the comeback shouldn't involve killing half the server from impatience.
Yeah.. I do see your point there and that certaintly can be quite the server killer but I feel that more innovative and creative options should be taken to counteract this rather than just implement lms gas... I dunno it just seems a bit odd to use lms gas even if it can help server lifespams... But thats just me

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:25 pm

That depends on how that countermeasure would have to be implemented, though. One of the most reliable ways to deal with a creeper I can come in mind of is AOE damage, which would be an overkill measure in this scenario, as it would have to be available for the human team no matter the classes in play, and would be op in general for most other cases. Another way to deal with the stalling would be to make it easier to somehow find and identify the creeper if stalling is done, but that would remove options for the creeper, as stealth and sneak attacks are a part of its forte, and would probably just be a death sentence. Maybe something can be done, but it has to be carefully crafted in order to not damage its viability in normal non-stalling play.

I will honestly admit I that I have never been good at this mod, and it was just my 2 cents, so a grain of salt is advised.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Ic had tlms sudden death and that ended rounds very quick, so alternatives to 'gas' exist. I don't think anything is needed right now as long as every single creeper doesn't use möbius tactics (lose :-) ).

U actually can kill hiding creepers btw just know the map and don't miss, seek and destroy

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 pm

r4z0r wrote:
Slyfox wrote:

Ok you missed my point I'm tryin to say that theres probably no other mod/game that pl;ays the way gvh does. Its so rare to find such a game where 1v8 are so commonplace and it adds to the excitement of the match as each move is critical and valuable. This is what sets gvh apart as its one of the unique features of it. To remove it with lms gas would just help kill gvh. This is all my speculation however.
Megaman's class base TLMS features Woodman vs the world every now and again

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:28 am

I don't think LMS Gas can solve try-hards taking >10 minutes on a map when the score is only 3-3 only causing players to leave and kill the server....