GvH fair and balanced

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.

Best Pick

Original GvH
18%
Endless War
3%
Cold Demise
47%
Nordic Saga
9%
Legacy of Darkness
15%
Multi-Verse
9%

Total votes: 34

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

GvH fair and balanced

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm

I haven't played GvH more than a few times (less than 4). Regardless, I was wondering what the vets of GvH would consider the most balanced incarnation of the mod. What was the peak before the mod started going into the sewers? What went wrong? Also, if you were caught sprite swapping back in the day, you can go swap to another topic.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Re: GvH fair and balanced

Post by Mobius » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Cold Demise was the absolute best release and I had the privilege of being the tester for it. The updates to fix the maps and some of the classes really improved the gameplay. Everything else has been shit or a huge disappointment particularly with music or map structures. The classes were just a mess of memes.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:23 pm

GvH was bloated with just 5 classes each let alone eight? Engineer was just a lame way to salvage Santa and frostbite is the least interesting ghoul.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Frostbite is op against camping marines Jmagenet showed us this a few times

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:26 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by Marcaek on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:54 am

Mobius wrote:
Marcaek wrote:GvH was bloated with just 5 classes each let alone eight? Engineer was just a lame way to salvage Santa and frostbite is the least interesting ghoul.
And this is why GW2 will never be respected and your FNf game suck. Engineer and Frostbite were decent addons compared to hexen ripoff, Halloween mask screamers, and doom marine.
Just make sure next time u focus on attacking his ideas and not his identity. Thanks you :wink: :igor: :doom:

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:20 am

Combinebobnt wrote:
Mobius wrote:
Marcaek wrote:GvH was bloated with just 5 classes each let alone eight? Engineer was just a lame way to salvage Santa and frostbite is the least interesting ghoul.
And this is why GW2 will never be respected and your FNf game suck. Engineer and Frostbite were decent addons compared to hexen ripoff, Halloween mask screamers, and doom marine.
Just make sure next time u focus on attacking his ideas and not his identity. Thanks you :wink: :igor: :doom:
Its a good thing he attacked both

I agree with mobius mainly because Cold demise was the GvH version that held my interest for the longest since playing on and off with the mod in the beginning of endless war.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:55 am

Eh, frostbite is a decent class and a good anti-camp measure, but then you have engineer and santa which are the definition of camp & spam imo. I think gvh already had enough spam with cyborg and ghostbuster. It's been a long time since I've played the older gvh versions but I'll pick endless war. I'd probably pick LoD but it has its issues.

Most of the listed gvh versions have their own versions of the base classes. A mix of different classes from different versions would be ideal. I'd pick LoD's sjas (because of smaller speed and the barely useful, but better than nothing teleporter item), LoD's frostbite (it has the ice ball weapon too), LoD's creeper (it has a stun ball limit so you can't shoot, hide if you miss and recharge balls forever; a common strategy of very annoying gvh players; also it has the useful heal ball), LoD's choke (mainly because of the extra weapon mechanics like vomit and that special attack with 100 vomit points), whichever version has the most fair jitterskull (certainly not LoD), base gvh marine with LoD's grenade ammo mechanics, pretty much any version's ghostbuster, whichever version doesn't allow cyborg's jetpack spam ad infinitum, no engineer or santa, base gvh hunter (slow lightning arrow weapon speed and no silly bow upgrades). I'd also throw in LoD's impaler and planeswalker in the mix since they seem like pretty decent classes. Oh yeah, and no mage classes pls thx.

Anyway, you can obviously tell which gvh version is my favorite but I think LoD did a lot of cool things. Unfortunately it also managed to fuck up the balance in some areas too.

Note: when I mention base gvh I am referring to the late v2 or early v3 versions - basically, before Carthief started butchering the mod.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:04 am

I think Cartheif came in for v3b4 or 5

A ton of shitty maps came in around then too

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:13 am

There's a pretty big difference between balanced and fun. For me the most fun was LoD, pre-addons. But the most balanced is cold demise.

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Well I can't tell about balance, each guy got his own definition of this word, but the most funny was for sure Nordic Saga when I remember the 16 vs 16 in the small Duke Nukem map I can't stop laughing.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Uh oh rip megaman time for gvh? Next up jumpmaze?
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

ARGENTVM

Post by ARGENTVM » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Ivan wrote:Uh oh rip megaman time for gvh? Next up jumpmaze?
No, Ral's already doing Jumpmaze rofl maybe DND aka Dial-up and Dwangos?

Cutman

Post by Cutman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:38 pm

I haven't really kept up with what form GVH has taken recently, I don't know much about it anymore (other than class sounds being replaced with LoL voice clips). I'm sorry so many people felt Carthief butchered it but I had to give it to someone and he's the only one who really wanted to take it off my hands. I saw a lot of people playing in the GVH FNF for Halloween and was surprised to see some of the changes made (Hunter with no railgun??).

If it's something people want back badly maybe it would be worth making a "GVH Classic". Basically make it the same as Cold Demise (keep Santa as the Engineer), clean up my awful code, remove random damage, make some balance changes that people are mostly positive towards from the newer GVH expansions and gut all the maps no one likes (there's a lot of them). Maybe throw in some bonuses like the option to turn on LMS stall prevention and add some modern Zandronum features that didn't exist back then. Not sure how popular it would be (I thought everyone would be sick of it by now) but at least it would exist for when people feel like playing it again.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Cutman wrote:I haven't really kept up with what form GVH has taken recently, I don't know much about it anymore (other than class sounds being replaced with LoL voice clips). I'm sorry so many people felt Carthief butchered it but I had to give it to someone and he's the only one who really wanted to take it off my hands. I saw a lot of people playing in the GVH FNF for Halloween and was surprised to see some of the changes made (Hunter with no railgun??).
We had a 32 client GVH yesterday using 2b9 cold demise under my recommendation. Also no one likes the non-railgun lightning.
Cutman wrote:If it's something people want back badly maybe it would be worth making a "GVH Classic". Basically make it the same as Cold Demise (keep Santa as the Engineer), clean up my awful code, remove random damage, make some balance changes that people are mostly positive towards from the newer GVH expansions and gut all the maps no one likes (there's a lot of them).
I'd advise not touching the maps for the sake of nostalgia and workload (at least not work on it right away). It's better if the maps remain in the wad as intended (all 31 of them if I am not mistaken) and let the host determine which maps will be played using maplist. Focusing on the actual core wad is much more important and far less time consuming for you. I am for new maps and know exactly which wads you may borrow some from that you could easily use when necessary.
Cutman wrote:Maybe throw in some bonuses like the option to turn on LMS stall prevention and add some modern Zandronum features that didn't exist back then. Not sure how popular it would be (I thought everyone would be sick of it by now) but at least it would exist for when people feel like playing it again.
I am fully against this idea for GVH as certain classes were intended with health disparities compared to others might prove to be an overwhelming disadvantage for say creepers. The spirit of an intense and long game shouldn't be rushed and I don't believe anyone had a problem with it last night (Rust and I spent more than 8 minutes actively trying to kill each other).
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Mobius wrote:
Cutman wrote:Maybe throw in some bonuses like the option to turn on LMS stall prevention and add some modern Zandronum features that didn't exist back then. Not sure how popular it would be (I thought everyone would be sick of it by now) but at least it would exist for when people feel like playing it again.
I am fully against this idea for GVH as certain classes were intended with health disparities compared to others might prove to be an overwhelming disadvantage for say creepers. The spirit of an intense and long game shouldn't be rushed and I don't believe anyone had a problem with it last night (Rust and I spent more than 8 minutes actively trying to kill each other).
That can be solved by constantly taking a % of the player's maximum health away rather than a constant value.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:23 pm

whoever voted for multiverse is getting banned
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Ivan wrote:
Mobius wrote:
That can be solved by constantly taking a % of the player's maximum health away rather than a constant value.
It isn't an issue to be solved.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:09 pm

uh if u ever dont want to wait for an epic final 1v1 tlms then don't die next time thanks

r4z0r
Banned
Clan: Homework Help

Post by r4z0r » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Ivan wrote:
Mobius wrote:
Wait what? What do you mean by "taking a % of the players maximum health away"? Do you mean to say, for example, take 5 health points away from every alive person every 2 minutes that the game lasts? I'm just not understanding your concept.