GvH fair and balanced

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.

Best Pick

Original GvH
18%
Endless War
3%
Cold Demise
47%
Nordic Saga
9%
Legacy of Darkness
15%
Multi-Verse
9%

Total votes: 34

Cutman

Re: GvH fair and balanced

Post by Cutman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:16 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
However, even if you change a simple thing I think people will just want Cutman to do it. It's the curse of the brand. I believe if it was Cutman doing it people would be less harsh.
I doubt that. Go look at the modding section and see how authors are given shit whenever they change any little thing, especially if it's an unnecessary change. A bad change is a bad change regardless of who does it.
I don't really care who does it, I would prefer someone else to to be honest since they're probably more familiar with the ancient code and have more (recent) experience in game. I'm not gonna look until post-3.0 though so anyone can feel free to try stuff until then so we can see what people like.
Ænima wrote:Gravity 9999?
I was thinking something more complex than that but if that does it then sure!

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 pm

Ivan wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Ivan wrote:I mean, the changes are pretty stupid for the most part. I told you, even though many people don't give credit to LoD, it fixed TONS of bugs and provided some nice features to the classic classes... Enough to keep them what they are, and maybe help them to do their jobs better.
Stop shilling Legacy of Defecation....
If you actually bothered to check what kinds of bugs it fixed, maybe you'd think otherwise.
Come play my wad? To bad the balance didn't reflect your fixes or the polls would say otherwise.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:55 am

What about showing the spot where the jitterskull's going to be teleported if it moves? (ofc this should only be showed to the jitterskull player)
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:34 am

Ivan wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Ivan wrote:I mean, the changes are pretty stupid for the most part. I told you, even though many people don't give credit to LoD, it fixed TONS of bugs and provided some nice features to the classic classes... Enough to keep them what they are, and maybe help them to do their jobs better.
Stop shilling Legacy of Defecation....
If you actually bothered to check what kinds of bugs it fixed, maybe you'd think otherwise.
Probably bugs courtesy of Carthief.

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:38 am

ibm5155 wrote:What about showing the spot where the jitterskull's going to be teleported if it moves? (ofc this should only be showed to the jitterskull player)
No.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:55 am

jdagenet wrote:
ibm5155 wrote:What about showing the spot where the jitterskull's going to be teleported if it moves? (ofc this should only be showed to the jitterskull player)
No.
He might be onto something. It could be done with an ACS script with GetPlayerInput.

Of course, it should be optional.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

jdagenet
Forum Regular

Post by jdagenet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:03 am

Ænima wrote:
jdagenet wrote:
No.
He might be onto something. It could be done with an ACS script with GetPlayerInput.

It's not a matter of how to do it, it's a matter of why it should be a thing. I mean realistically, it wouldn't change things in the end. Seems more useless than anything.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:14 am

jdagenet wrote:
Ænima wrote:
jdagenet wrote:
No.

It's not a matter of how to do it, it's a matter of why it should be a thing. I mean realistically, it wouldn't change things in the end. Seems more useless than anything.
more information is useful and would allow for better precision in positioning in general. being able to see where you'd end up could raise the skill ceiling of jitter play.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:28 am

nax wrote:
jdagenet wrote:
Ænima wrote:
jdagenet wrote: No.

more information is useful and would allow for better precision in positioning in general. being able to see where you'd end up could raise the skill ceiling of jitter play.
Exactly. I mean skilled Jitter players probably don't need it because they have a good feel for how they will move on a particular map. But newbies might benefit from something subtle like a flame sprite or skull outline (with low alpha of course) to guide their steps.

And like I said it would probably be optional, maybe even off by default.

ZandroSkins

jdagenet
Forum Regular

Post by jdagenet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:33 am

Ænima wrote:
nax wrote:
jdagenet wrote:
Ænima wrote:

Exactly. I mean skilled Jitter players probably don't need it because they have a good feel for how they will move on a particular map. But newbies might benefit from something subtle like a flame sprite or skull outline (with low alpha of course) to guide their steps.

The reason why newbies can't use Jitter is because they haven't figured out that he requires prediction to consistently kill people. A little symbol or icon that shows where they're going to teleport next isn't going to fix that.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:47 am

Ænima wrote:

even skilled players could benefit from it as it's the difference between knowing where you'll end up most of the time and knowing where you will end up every single time. in most cases a skilled player will not need it, though there are instances where quick and precise positioning can be impactful. feedback can often be overlooked in multiplayer/competitive games - i remember how much shot indicators on league actually amped up the level of play due to how quickly you can react to things with better precision.

Cutman

Post by Cutman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:01 am

I don't think it's necessary BUT is there actually a way to show an actor that only you can see? I've wanted to do this for several mods but I'm not sure if anyone's figured out a hacky way to do it yet. I know visibletoteam exists but sometimes you don't want that. The inverse of that would be useful too (you can't see it but everyone else can).

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:14 am

Cutman wrote:I don't think it's necessary BUT is there actually a way to show an actor that only you can see? I've wanted to do this for several mods but I'm not sure if anyone's figured out a hacky way to do it yet. I know visibletoteam exists but sometimes you don't want that. The inverse of that would be useful too (you can't see it but everyone else can).
Spawning an actor using ACS via clientside script while checking if consoleplayernumber() == playernumber() will result in the actor only being spawned/visible for one person.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:18 pm

The Jitter movement thing I tried to do before, however at higher ping levels it gets unreliable. Very unreliable.

For the clientside position indicator for Jitter, I think that'd also not be very reliable but it could be worth a shot. However I'd say the game is too frantic to make any use of a position indicator for yourself.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:09 pm

XD

ZandroSkins

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:55 pm

Lms gas for that aenima

jdagenet
Forum Regular

Post by jdagenet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Combinebobnt wrote:Lms gas for that aenima
Oh is he complaining about the long match rounds with Creeper? Like it's a problem with the mod and not because people are irritated that they died? Bob has a great solution to solving that other than the holy grail of lms gas: don't die.

r4z0r
Banned
Clan: Homework Help

Post by r4z0r » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:17 pm

jdagenet wrote:
Oh is he complaining about the long match rounds with Creeper? Like it's a problem with the mod and not because people are irritated that they died? Bob has a great solution to solving that other than the holy grail of lms gas: don't die.
Its too bad he did end up dying on the boat map smh bob...

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:31 pm

The creeper thing is very effective on me, I get impatient and then go do something stupid. I don't want to spend every round playing it like my last when each map has like 5-9 rounds lol.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 pm

jdagenet wrote:
Chill, bro. It was just a meme i found on Facebook.

Waiting for a round to be over really doesn't bother me, although IMO doing something to speed up creeper hunts would be beneficial to increasing and retaining playercount. I think LMS gas should be included in the mod, but be turned off by default and hosts can do what they want with it.

ZandroSkins