Any interest for a solid CTF League?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Jenova
Under Moderation

Any interest for a solid CTF League?

Post by Jenova » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:11 am

Hey, I sent a bunch of PM's (have many people in PM) on the forums and IRC to a bunch of people who I thought were solid players to see if they'd be interested in a CTF league, but I couldn't remember everyone so I thought I'd just make a forum post about it.

IMO one thing that Zandronum was always missing was a solid CTF league that either didn't fall apart midway through the season or started sloppy with an incomplete website, no stats, and weaker players. The way I see it, the only way you can run an interesting CTF league is to have most of the strong players sign up because these are the same people who play priv often and actually give a shit about the game (and thus more likely to be good, and actually practice with their team).

I'd rather not start a league if there was little or no interest from active, dedicated players, so I figured a good way to gauge interest was to make this topic. Ideally, we'd want upper/top-tier players with a solid track record (often picked in priv, scrim with their clans, etc.) to be the ones playing. Before setting a date for starting the league, we'd have stats/website working.

The number of teams would be dependent on how many players signed up. 6 teams with 3 solid players would be ideal, but less than that is fine too. There are definitely enough good players on Zandronum to get a league with top talent rolling, but that just depends on if they'd want to play.

Reply if you're interested or if you have any suggestions to offer!

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: Any interest for a solid CTF League?

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:31 pm

The wdl and ifl player lists are what ctf leagues look like now. Have fun trying revive anything better

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Reply if you're interested or if you have any suggestions to offer!
Here's a legitimate suggestion and I'm not even trying to troll: don't invest your time trying to build a solid league as a means to re-experience the old days because it's not going to happen. Sure many will say they are interested, but how many are actually passionate? The latter are the ones that drive the league to become better and are more likely to return season after season. Consider the IFL improvement topic. How many players actually cared enough to post in there? Someone like me who didn't even play offered more suggestions than some who capped or played week after week, heh.

Bob is right, the state of competitive CTF all around each port is what there is to work with. There aren't anymore nostars, fastidiouses, chewys, whiteboys, roaks, mikehails, chaotixes, or even chaindudes. These types are long gone skill-wise and especially personality wise. The type of competition you have today is different from the past. As an observer, it seems with the IFL, you have a chunk of players that treat the league like priv and really nothing more. With the WDL, it's like a bunch of guys getting together to play a game of baseball and then going out to a bar together afterwards. Is there anything wrong with that? Hmm, no not really as long as each league lives and those running them are content with their playerbase/environment. However, you aren't going to find an environment where Jenova shittalks nostar in the middle of a match or any cut-throat competitive scene where there is legitimate beef and hatred that you and I are used to. In fact, we're the outliers now because everyone wants to make Doom a safe space no hurting feelings plz bullshit zone.

So unfortunately, what you see today is what you have to work with. I honestly don't see the pay off for hard work going into a site, stats, etc.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Right, I meant more as if we basically just got the better players of the WDL and IFL and put them into one league.

For instance, neither of us played in the IFL, nor Water, Ammar, Edd, Strangle, Catastrophe, etc. Likewise, we could get people from the WDL like DS, Bones, to sign up.

There's no doubt that the interest of competitive ctf is declining (just look at the WDL), but there does seem to be a number of people still interested in playing high level ctf games. I think if we could compose a list of players who would want to play in such a league, maybe the effort would be worth it?

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:40 pm

Jenova wrote:Right, I meant more as if we basically just got the better players of the WDL and IFL and put them into one league.

For instance, neither of us played in the IFL, nor Water, Ammar, Edd, Strangle, Catastrophe, etc. Likewise, we could get people from the WDL like DS, Bones, to sign up.

There's no doubt that the interest of competitive ctf is declining (just look at the WDL), but there does seem to be a number of people still interested in playing high level ctf games. I think if we could compose a list of players who would want to play in such a league, maybe the effort would be worth it?
Then I would suggest giving this topic probably around 2 weeks to see if a decent list would arise. I don't know what your timetable is or how quickly you'd want to get something started, but I'd say 2 weeks is long enough to get a good idea of who really wants to play.

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Me Cab and Water would be down to cap, and if we have other good players who would also be willing (like you, ammar, dragon, edd, etc.) we could easily put together some top level balanced teams. I've tried making a list of people who I thought would be good candidates (to either captain or play) but I haven't been around lately so I don't really know how good some of the newer players are. If you want to shoot me some suggestions then PM me and I'll try to get in contact with those players.

I'm not in a hurry to do anything, we'd need to see if we get the players for it, then make stats/website (this shouldn't be too hard since we already have a functioning league website working at the moment) and then run the actual league only after the previous two steps are done.

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:58 pm

To be honest, a good and stable Zandronum league is long overdue. After every failed attempt, somebody else has always come up with new ideas and given it a shot of their own at creating a league. The scene at large is going to repeat that cycle of attempt and failure until the fabled successful Zandronum league comes to light, and the sooner the community can make it happen, the better. Surely many people will advise you against trying only because of failed attempts of past times, but that's hardly a good reason not to try it yourself, is it?
Jenova wrote:There's no doubt that the interest of competitive ctf is declining (just look at the WDL), but there does seem to be a number of people still interested in playing high level ctf games. I think if we could compose a list of players who would want to play in such a league, maybe the effort would be worth it?
Go for it! In many cases where people say the hard work they put into hosting tournaments/leagues didn't pay off, that generally means they didn't work hard and/or smart enough to keep players interested. The community still has the player reliability, and the numbers necessary to at least make things work, and depending on how your website, stats and whichever other ideas you have in mind are set up, you could draw in satisfactory amounts of interest to make your league a successful one. It's also very important to give positions of power in the league only to very reliable and reasonable people, otherwise it could severely hurt the league before you even take notice of it.