Survival Checkpoint Mode, Is this possible?

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Meesor
New User

Survival Checkpoint Mode, Is this possible?

Post by Meesor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:33 pm

At a certain amount of monster kills, adjustable by the server, all dead players and players in the waiting list are revived at the spawn point or at surviving players.
It would revive a lot of the giant, long, mostly unplayed maps like chillax and dark tartarus, and others would be just more fun in general knowing we would get a second chance.

One of the biggest problems I hear from players about survival is the ridiculous wait. It is one reason why awesome wads with long maps often go underappreciated (nightmarerus).

It would also encourage people to cheer on the surviving players, instead of changevote changevote and more changevote, or wishing death upon the pros that solo a 2k monster count map in a 20 player room(something I am often guilty of, the wishing death part anyway, im usually dead by 20)

What do you guys and gals think?

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: Survival Checkpoint Mode, Is this possible?

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 pm

yes for sns have fun coding it

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Chillax is unplayed because it's bad, not because of the wait. I remember there were like 20 people at Chillax servers, then once they got decent alternative (CD, and proper slaughterwads) they stopped playing Chillax...

Meesor
New User

Post by Meesor » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Chillax was just 1 example of many. How many properly filled long wads have you seen in recent times? Very few for me.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Either way this is not possible without modding the engine as you can't force the player to spawn from being dead.
The closest thing to this already exists is Invasion maps which allow dead players to spawn after certain time, keeping them in "jail" room until that.

Hypnotoad
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Hypnotoad » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:45 pm