Improving Zandronum Bots. (and I have a compiler)

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
AtomicLugia
New User

Improving Zandronum Bots. (and I have a compiler)

Post by AtomicLugia » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:01 am

Hello there. It's a long time since I was in a multiplayer Doom community. It's good to be finally back!

Anyways, I love Skulltag's bots and I'm very thankful that the bots are also in Zandronum. I love doing simple deathmatches with these bots and dick around with them in coop. It's pretty funny if you have teamdamage on. If you attack one of your team members, he will attack you (maybe because of their deathmatch behavior). If he loses sight on you, he starts chasing on you nonstop. It's pretty funny and kinda scary. Maybe he want to give you a sorry hug.

I would love to see the bots improved, so that they finally can attack monsters, switch weapons, play CTF and so on. I have some ideas. There should be a new actor which acts as a path node for the bots. It's pretty useful for maps with narrow passages or huge maps. And a possibility to command a bot on your team. It should work like this: "botcmd <command> <botname>". The commands are Follow, Standstill and Roam. Zcajun's bots from ZDoom can attack monsters and can follow you sometimes. Standstill world be pretty useful for CTF. It would be also nice to have some more chat sections for bots. Like [SuicideStrings], if the bot dies by killing himself or killed by enviornment, [AcceptStrings], if the bot accepts the command of a player and can use $player_commandedby and [WinningStrings], which is the opposite of [LosingStrings].

I love creating my own bots and give them unique chat strings. I made bots of skins of my favorite characters and I add them to my team for a nice team deathmatch. I would like to have them following me in coop. The bots should be improved. That would be so awesome and I heard that there's another bot compiler in development by Dusk.

BTW, I do have a bot compiler, I uploaded it here. Is this the missing bot compiler? I tried compiling CYGNSBOT (.bst -> bso) and put it into a WAD of a bot. When I start a game and add this bot, there's a error message: "PopStack: Bot stack position went below 0 in bot Cygnus's script!". Any solution for this?

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Re: Improving Zandronum Bots. (and I have a compiler)

Post by fr blood » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:24 am

I don't know if you have played "Doom Legacy" because here bots were useful in coop:
- following you
- killing monster by strafing around them

I wonder if zandronum could add them, it would be pretty cool for testing.

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:26 am

It would be very good for testing, I'd have my own uses for them so that way I won't have to spawn objects or give inventory items to the bots at the start I have also always been interested in seeing bots become smarter especially having them able to execute anything the player can do.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:13 pm

AtomicLugia wrote:BTW, I do have a bot compiler, I uploaded it here. Is this the missing bot compiler? I tried compiling CYGNSBOT (.bst -> bso) and put it into a WAD of a bot. When I start a game and add this bot, there's a error message: "PopStack: Bot stack position went below 0 in bot Cygnus's script!". Any solution for this?
Unfortunately, this compiler version is too old. It's not compatible with the format Skulltag 97b+ and Zandronum require.

AtomicLugia
New User

Post by AtomicLugia » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
AtomicLugia wrote:BTW, I do have a bot compiler, I uploaded it here. Is this the missing bot compiler? I tried compiling CYGNSBOT (.bst -> bso) and put it into a WAD of a bot. When I start a game and add this bot, there's a error message: "PopStack: Bot stack position went below 0 in bot Cygnus's script!". Any solution for this?
Unfortunately, this compiler version is too old. It's not compatible with the format Skulltag 97b+ and Zandronum require.
Ow, that's a shame. I still hope that there'll be bot improvements in the future...