Clones of yourself in mod maps... like statues...

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
[D_A]Kherr

Clones of yourself in mod maps... like statues...

Post by [D_A]Kherr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:08 am

Hey Everyone,

Prefix: So I just wanted to bring this up as both searching around here and googling didn't bring it up and if this has already been discussed I apologize, but I can't find it so here goes.

Anyway, when I'm playing an older (and even sometimes new-ish) mod in DOOM or DOOM 2 I manage to find copies of myself scattered about maps, sometimes it's only a single copy, other times there are 10s or 100s on any single map. When you look at them it brings up your name as if you were staring at another player, and if you shoot them it hurts yourself. I'm very confused as to why this is happening and just wanted to see if I could get some answers as to why it's happening. I even loaded one of the culprit maps from a mod into GZDoom Builder and all of the places where the 'statues' of myself were appearing in-game had Player-1 start thing objects at said locations. What I'm really confused about though, is why it's showing copies of me instead of just being empty at map load, or why it doesn't pick one of the Player-1 spawn thing objects in the map and spawn the player where they shouldn't spawn, like at random... One such culprit is cchest.wad (check the first map and you'll see what I'm talking about).

Again, I looked all over google and the boards here via the search option, but I wasn't able to turn up any results. If anyone could explain this phenomenon to me I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if this is the wrong board I also apologize as I have no clue where this topic would have gone via the scarce selection of boards for things like this.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys. :)

I was gonna include pictures but the in-game screenshot thing doesn't actually write the screenshots into the Zandro folder because of it being installed in C:\Program Files (x86), yada yada.

[D_A]Kherr

Re: Clones of yourself in mod maps... like statues...

Post by [D_A]Kherr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 am

Thank you, I wouldn't have thought they were referenced as a 'voodoo doll' and as such wouldn't have found this result. Makes sense to call them that though considering what they do. Anyway, much appreciated. :)

Another thought, why do players always spawn at the correct player 1 start object? How does the game know which one is the correct one to spawn at and to place voodoo dolls at all the others? Do the player 1 start things have a value assigned in the order they're placed and it just picks the one that was first placed or something?

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:57 am

Basically every spawn thing that's found will make itself the player spawn. If there are multiple such things, then only the last one will be used for actual player spawn and all other "spawns" will receive incomplete initialization which is what voodoo doll is.

DaIcemann76
New User

Post by DaIcemann76 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:58 am

ZZYZX wrote:Basically every spawn thing that's found will make itself the player spawn. If there are multiple such things, then only the last one will be used for actual player spawn and all other "spawns" will receive incomplete initialization which is what voodoo doll is.
To clarify, if you look at a map with multiple Player 1 starts in an editor like Doom Builder, the Player 1 start with the highest Thing # will be where the player spawns. The rest will spawn as voodoo dolls.