I know this is a noob question but...

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

I know this is a noob question but...

Post by DevilHunter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:37 am

Who owns Getwad? and is it possible to contact them? The reason I ask is because I noticed getwad does NOT support https. Instead you get this...

Code: Select all

ERROR: The specified URL has been redirected to a non-supported protocol
So yea.. that is an issue since TSPG is all https now. Ofc, the simple solution is to use Wadseeker from Doomseeker, but what about those that stick to IDE/DE?? yea... Anyhow, was just wondering..

HeX9109
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Re: I know this is a noob question but...

Post by HeX9109 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Kilgore made Getwad

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:27 pm

^

Gul Dukat
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by Gul Dukat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:08 am

There must be a better system to use than Kilgore's archaic system; We've been using this for probably well over a deacde, I thought there would've been someone out there who could've made a better wad grabber than GetWad. The only reason why I said this because when GetWad can't find the wad you're looking for, it ends up doing a google search and looks/downloads every single hyperlink results until either get tired or the program itself gets tired. When actuality, all you had to do was press W on ide to get the wad.

Edit: Nevermind, there's wadseeker but I seriously hope bond removes GetWad because it's a very archaic system.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:00 am

Gul Dukat wrote:Edit: Nevermind, there's wadseeker but I seriously hope bond removes GetWad because it's a very archaic system.
Principle of Wadseeker is not different from principle of GetWad. Wadseeker also sweeps preset number of pages, just like GetWad, plus also /idgames archive and wadarchive sites. Wadseeker doesn't go to Google because, as you've all noticed, it's pointless. All in all, both WAD discovery tools rely heavily on site URLs provided by game servers. If server host doesn't care about providing a proper site, then both tools will have problems in finding some WADs.

I can't speak for Bond, but I doubt he'll switch to Wadseeker. First of all, it's a C++ library, which might be a problem, and more importantly it brings in dependency on Qt framework which is heavy-weight stuff and works best if your app already uses Qt.

GetWad is also open-source, so nothing is stopping anyone from fixing it themselves.
Last edited by Zalewa on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:04 am

There is a server setting that tells GetWAD where to search for the wad. If GetWAD can't find the wad, it's the fault of the server host and his laziness to properly setup the server. I prefer GetWAD, because Wadseeker on the other hand doesn't care about this setting very much, and instead of downloading my wads at the speed of light from the specified server, it grabs them at a few kBs/s from some generic wad hosting websites.

Also, why would anyone want to download wads over https? Just serve the wad directory with http...

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:06 am

Konar6 wrote:There is a server setting that tells GetWAD where to search for the wad. If GetWAD can't find the wad, it's the fault of the server host and his laziness to properly setup the server. I prefer GetWAD, because Wadseeker on the other hand doesn't care about this setting very much, and instead of downloading my wads at the speed of light from the specified server, it grabs them at a few kBs/s from some generic wad hosting websites.

Also, why would anyone want to download wads over https? Just serve the wad directory with http...
False. Wadseeker does care about this setting.

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:11 am

Not that much. If I tell it to download like 10 wads, it gets the first wad from the specified server, but at the same time it searches the other sites for the remaining wads and unfortunately starts downloading them. It should ONLY look at those slower sites if the wad can't be found on the provided site. That''s what GetWAD does.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:34 am

Konar6 wrote:Not that much. If I tell it to download like 10 wads, it gets the first wad from the specified server, but at the same time it searches the other sites for the remaining wads and unfortunately starts downloading them. It should ONLY look at those slower sites if the wad can't be found on the provided site. That''s what GetWAD does.
This was done on purpose to circumvent server limitations on simultaneous downloads from the same client IP. Some servers still live in limited bandwidth era where they will outright refuse your request to download a file if you're already downloading another one. This is supposed to block file download managers that circumvent transfer speed limits per download by splitting one file into many parts and using many simultaneous connections to download them. However, it also blocks legitimate users who want to download more than one file simultaenously using normal, web-browser download method.

Wadseeker tries to work around this stupidity by disallowing simultaneous download of more than one file from any given domain name. Your 10 WADs are all found on the same site provided by the server, but Wadseeker will start download for only one of them. It will then scour other sites in search for the same files. If file of the same name is found on a different site then it will start a simultaenous download from this other site. If no alternative URL is found, Wadseeker will wait for the original download to finish and then start another queued download from the same domain name.

Now, if you hit a particularly slow site, you can right-click the download in progress and select "skip this site" action. This will abort download from this site and take next URL for this file from the queue.

This system can be improved by allowing users to blacklist domain names they never want to use, but this has some drawbacks too. I actually implemented such improvement for GetWad back in the day, where it was necessary as Google searches would lead to endless scouring of crap sites. For Wadseeker such feature would let users to shoot themselves in the foot with them forgetting they ever did so. It's better to hit a slow download than none at all.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Zalewa wrote:Some servers still live in limited bandwidth era where they will outright refuse your request to download a file if you're already downloading another one.
Why not just check if a particular server does that by trying to simultaneously download more than 1 wad? If it blocks the second connection, then proceed with searching for the second file on other sites.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:23 pm

It could also have the option to only download from other sites if the specified site lacks one of the wads it needs to download. :)

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Konar6 wrote:... Also, why would anyone want to download wads over https? Just serve the wad directory with http...
Have to ask Sean that. I don't do any of the website stuff, I'm... just the Admin guy. Sure, I can do SSH and stuff, but don't know jack about websites. As far as I know, every bit of TSPG is running on HTTPS. I think at one time MiFU did ask Sean to remove the HTTPS from the wad url's at least, but he said it would be too much of a hassle.

And if anything, if getwad can't find the file, usally wadseeker does. Which reminds me, someone here (or maybe back in the skulltag era) made an updated to getwad, where it has filters and junk... Called ZGetWad but sadly, it don't work with the new DE as itself has an updated getwad where it grabs bex files now.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:31 pm

GetWAD is also unable to download files that have spaces in their name (like this brutal stuff made by someone with serious lack of common sense).
The problem here is that TSPG should stop using HTTPS for resource download, just as PB author has to stop using retarded filenames. I've reported it to TSPG admins, but apparently got ignored.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:54 pm

I personally think WAD/PK3 download functionality should be built into Zandronum 3.0, since it has it's own built-in server browser again, that can restart the game and load the correct WADs. It could search various sites like GetWad/WadSeeker, and if it can't find the file, download from the server itself at a reduced rate (to prevent lagging, also, this should be able to be turned off for those hosting private/in-dev WADs/PK3s.)

If there's one thing Odamex gets right, it's that it has it's own WAD retrieval system.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:40 am

DevilHunter wrote:
Konar6 wrote: Which reminds me, someone here (or maybe back in the skulltag era) made an updated to getwad, where it has filters and junk... Called ZGetWad but sadly, it don't work with the new DE as itself has an updated getwad where it grabs bex files now.
From getwad.h:

Code: Select all

* Written by Hippocrates Sendoukas, Athens, Greece, June-December 2003
 * Version modified by Zalewa, January 2009

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:31 am

Ah, so it was you. My memory don't serve me well, and I completely forgot about any readmes or that... I kinda miss the zgetwad ability's, if you could update it to work with the "new" getwad that is included in DE, that would be cool

As for the HTTPS situation, as I stated before, You will have to talk to Sean about that. I sorta wished I knew how to configure that sort of stuff.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm

1.6 Years later and this still isn't resolved. Is this some sort of sabotage by Sean to make everyone move to DoomSeeker???

[Ph]Zman
Registered just to make one post

Post by [Ph]Zman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 pm

This is REALLY bothering me... Anyone knows where I can get the sourcode for the GetWAD thingie?

Matiu
Posts a lot
Clan: FS (ZD)
Clan Tag: Your Pal

Post by Matiu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 am

Yet The entire Thing doesn't seem to fix... since Kilgore is yet Updating ZDaemon than the GetWAD as i use Doom Explorer To get the wads/pk3s that i want or required for the servers.

If there's a way yet to contact him to make this to fix.
Current FS member (ZDaemon), former GOH member, former SNS Staff and former ZDaemon Discord Admin.
Youtube Channel | Matiu's Purple World | Instagram | Twitter

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

Good news for those who use Doom Explorer:
Doom Explorer updated, version 1.37:

added support for new ZDaemon v1.10 features:
new gamemode Duel (old deathmatch with 2 players is now denoted as 1-on-1)
support new demo format
added new dmflags
added support for https links in the WadURL server parameter (W shortcut)
fixed bug with initial addition of ports
fixed bug with start port in StartServer
http://doomutils.ucoz.com/load/doom_explorer/4