Controller works in everything except Zandronum

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
DrGreg
New User

Controller works in everything except Zandronum

Post by DrGreg » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Hello,

I'm on a Mac and I have the following controller and it works in everything I've tried so far (GZDoom, ZDoom, and Doomsday Engine) however, for whatever reason, Zandronum does not pick it up in the settings menu. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why? It is a simple USB input device, so I have no idea why it's working on everything except for this.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-U ... 002B9XB0E/

Thank you.

Gul Dukat
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Re: Controller works in everything except Zandronum

Post by Gul Dukat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:57 am

I am highly sure that Zandronum doesn't have USB controller/gamepad support. Doom 2 and I believe the ZDoom version that zandronum is based off of, pre-dates conception of a modern controllers. (PS2/X360 Design of Controllers/Gamepads)

You're more likely to buy a 90s/early 00s joystick to be used on Zandro.

As for the P2P support of USB gamepads in zandroum, you can always request it in the Tracker.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:00 am

Gul Dukat wrote:I am highly sure that Zandronum doesn't have USB controller/gamepad support. Doom 2 and I believe the ZDoom version that zandronum is based off of, pre-dates conception of a modern controllers. (PS2/X360 Design of Controllers/Gamepads)

You're more likely to buy a 90s/early 00s joystick to be used on Zandro.

As for the P2P support of USB gamepads in zandroum, you can always request it in the Tracker.
You can use USB controllers in zdoom and its derivatives.

Gul Dukat
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by Gul Dukat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:11 am

Theoretically you can... it just won't work the way you think it will work.

I tested it one and it had horrid results because ZDoom/Doom 2 thought the gamepad was a two button joystick. It couldn't support a 2 or 3 directional gamepad(PS2 etc etc)

Edit: Since I was outta the loop for a few years, the aforementioned test was two or three years ago. I did a test now to see anything was changed and it turned out that it worked 100x better then the previous test. Albeit there was still some problems, like the turn speeds and clunky movements but nevertheless, it worked for coop. I wouldn't recommend this for competitive play.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Lower the dead zones as much as possible (I use like .150 for the analog sticks).
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

DrGreg
New User

Post by DrGreg » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:02 am

I am using a modern USB controller that mimics a SNES controller of old. I posted a link to it on Amazon in my original post in case anybody needed to see the specifics in order to address my question as to why it didn't work in Zandronum but did work on everything else (ZDoom, GZDoom, DoomsDay Engine, etc) - when I go to the settings to turn ON controller support, it does not detect the controller at all, whereas in ZDoom/GZDoom, it instantly detects it under that same menu and allows me to change settings from there (dead zones, etc)

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:17 am

Possibly because Zandronum is behind ZDoom a bit? IDK.
Try it in 3.0 maybe?
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova