Capo gets banned for cheating

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Re: Capo gets banned for cheating

Post by one_Two » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Dusk wrote:
Ænima wrote:How much memory has to be scanned to find this information and is there a way for the developers to obfuscate it or make its location dynamic?
Zandronum is open source. A cheat does not have to scan any memory or hex edit anything. You just edit the code and make a cheat build. And thus we also cannot obfuscate it, or prevent cheats from being made in any way. The only anti-cheat is the community. This was a drawback that was accepted when the project went open source in the first place, as hacks cannot be stopped anyway.

I don't have the time or skill to review the demos myself, but I'd say that if capo's demos lack puffs it sounds somewhat suspicious. The client is, by default, responsible for rendering puffs. Therefore if there aren't any puffs at all, it is indicative of a modified client.
Decay wrote:
ZZYZX wrote:Even ZDaemon with all it's closed source is easy to make a hack for. Just saying. Although, in case of ZDaemon, they really seem to be obsessed with obfuscation of master server protocol which looks like horrible mess in the disassembly, yet do nothing to prevent the hacks, even though they don't need to pull any code from ZDoom and as such can introduce the required drastic changes to their code...

Either way, apparently with the client becoming opensource there are LESS hackers now, most likely because now coding hacks isn't of any interest, as anyone with VS2005 can do it.
I think there are more cheaters than you might realize but just have not been caught. In any case, thanks for your... insightful and useful... post.
I think he has a point. From my understanding, most cheats for Skulltag were made just for the hell of it. With Zandronum being open source, there's no "hell" anymore in that. I guess that's why there aren't much public cheats around and this crap is being spread in private.
Probably missing the ball park here, but why when you can force only certain versions of clients to join servers are modified ones allowed to join? Could there not be a whitelisted client list that allows only certain approved clients to join?

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:54 pm

one_Two wrote:Probably missing the ball park here, but why when you can force only certain versions of clients to join servers are modified ones allowed to join? Could there not be a whitelisted client list that allows only certain approved clients to join?
There's no way whatsoever to detect whether a client is modified or not. The version check is there to protect against user error.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Dusk wrote:
one_Two wrote:Probably missing the ball park here, but why when you can force only certain versions of clients to join servers are modified ones allowed to join? Could there not be a whitelisted client list that allows only certain approved clients to join?
There's no way whatsoever to detect whether a client is modified or not. The version check is there to protect against user error.
You can't do like a checksum on the client?

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 pm

A customized build could just skip the checksum and pass an official value (it depends on the platform, too!), which can't be hidden.

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:09 pm

one_Two wrote:You can't do like a checksum on the client?
You can't do anything on the client. All you can do is ask for information and trust that it's correct. Which wouldn't make sense, because the client could just lie about it like nobody's business.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:52 pm

I know this issue is dead and there's no point in discussing it, but I found this quite funny:

ARGENTVM
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by ARGENTVM » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:59 pm

ROFL

Capo must have been the product of some Soviet Experiment where they either tested different drugs' effects on the human brain or they decided to fly his brain on a rocket into deep space. Maybe it was an experiment to test the extent of human stupidity and how far it can go before you can't call something human. Either way, he's quite an abortion of the iron curtain and his generation.
Last edited by ARGENTVM on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samurai
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Code: Select all

18:49  <SwiftShot>	Jarin_cz did you cheat in doom4?
18:52  <Jarin_cz>	lol wtf
18:53  <SwiftShot>	https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7407&p=98105#p98105
18:54  <Jarin_cz>	ye but what has this do with me?
18:54  <Jarin_cz>	i am jarin_cz, capodecima is my brother
18:54  <SwiftShot>	rofl
18:54  <Jarin_cz>	i have no idea if he still play or something heh

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:38 am

to be honest it doesn't matter if capo was cheating in doom 4 or not

I had 3 games consecutive with atleast 1 cheater on either my team or theirs, the entire cheating scene on doom 4 has gone surprisingly out of hand for a game that recently came out. Seeing capo cheating on there just adds to the already almost dead *real* competitive scene of doom 4.

btw still not salty about the cheaters of doom 4

Doomkid
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:31 am

Samurai wrote:

Code: Select all

18:49  <SwiftShot>	Jarin_cz did you cheat in doom4?
18:52  <Jarin_cz>	lol wtf
18:53  <SwiftShot>	https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7407&p=98105#p98105
18:54  <Jarin_cz>	ye but what has this do with me?
18:54  <Jarin_cz>	i am jarin_cz, capodecima is my brother
18:54  <SwiftShot>	rofl
18:54  <Jarin_cz>	i have no idea if he still play or something heh
This is highly entertaining

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 am

Doom 4 kinda had it coming. Apparently you can use cheat engine in multiplayer. There are no checks for doom 4 to prevent that. May as well be COD

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:14 am

Shane wrote:Seeing capo cheating on there just adds to the already almost dead *real* competitive scene of doom 4.
You mean dead competitive scene in all Doom? Pretty indicative.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:26 am

I know I'm late to the party, but good riddance. Capo was always an irritating shit when playing him. Often an unwarranted braggart, and also had a huge habit of rage-quitting at the drop of a hat. (I've had a little fun with this in the past, getting my buddies to gang up on him in FFA, hilarity and a rage-quit ensued.)

Anyhow, just because Zandronum is open-source, doesn't mean the devs can't do anything to at least detect certain suspicious behavior patterns server-side. (As long as a server is running an official release, there's little a client could do to circumvent it). Such as keeping track of the percentage of time they're on target when there's no possible line of sight and detecting if the client has been tampering with old movement commands.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:39 am

It would have been wise to read the thread.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:55 am

Missed a few posts on the 2nd page, admittedly I scrolled through that pretty quickly. Sorry. My opinion of the guy still stands however.

CloudFlash
Zandrone

Post by CloudFlash » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:18 pm

We lost a fair gal. May he cheat in singleplayer [']