360 Controller Compatibility request

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
NizZY'

360 Controller Compatibility request

Post by NizZY' » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:32 pm

I couldn't post in the Development section so I thought I would ask here. I tried playing with my 360 controller last night and found that Skulltag recognized it and enabled it, but it doesn't register the trigger buttons and the analog sticks are all off. I think they were all in reverse and inverted and weren't able to be played with. The D-Pad, back, Start, LB, RB, X, Y, B, A, buttons are all working properly though.

I thought it would be kind of cool if Zandro were compatible with the 360 controller for us who like using them (if anyone besides me uses them anyway).

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: 360 Controller Compatibility request

Post by Ænima » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:44 am

It's actually not a Zandronum problem. At least, I don't believe it's something that the developers can fix. It's how your PC reads the input from the controller itself. It reads each trigger as its own axis.

Use this tool to force the triggers to be read as binary button presses:
http://xpadder.com/

Hope this helps. :3
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

KalFoxis
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by KalFoxis » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 am

hear is a tip. use a PS3 controller instead. and use the motionjoy program to allow the PS3 controller to be used on your computer as a gamepad.

It's what I use when I was playing skulltag. works great.
irc.millbrochat.net #MBC

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:15 am

Oh boy, here comes the unhelpful and smug "use an X instead" posts.
That being said, a gamepad program might be exactly what you're looking for. Console gamepads always come with wonkiness in getting computers to read it, but a program like Joy2Key or (like Aenima suggested) XPadder will probably do great.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 am

The control sticks are invertable and sensitivity/deadzone adjustable in Zand's gamepad options. I tried playing with an x360 controller just for fun and it worked out great, after having the same issue, I used Xpadder to simply set the triggers to be "buttons". I don't recommend it though, no matter how finely tuned the aim sensitivity is, the game has no aim acceleration like real console games, and so you'll have trouble either aiming accurately or turning fast enough. That's a feature request of its own, and I'm surprised it never crossed my mind to ask about it.

The problem with the x360 controller is that they actually are axes and anything would detect them as such. Only that certain games are programmed to have a certain Z threshold count as a "button press" (like cawadoody triggers). Others use the axes as they're built, like gas controls in driving games.

EDIT: I didn't see Ae's post :I So yeah just use Xpadder
Last edited by Medicris on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.